Chicken Soup for urinary tract health?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was looking of the site for Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul to see what they had to say about their food and UTI's, if anything.

Following is a statement they make in regards to such on their FAQ page.

My cat has bladder problems. Do you have a diet for this?

We do not manufacture any prescription formulas for the treatment of urinary tract disease in cats. All of our adult cat formulas are designed to maintain a urine pH of 6.1-6.4. This is adequate to prevent struvite crystals from forming. In most cases, this is also appropriate to help prevent calcium oxalate stones, but some cats may need a diet that produces a higher urine pH, such as a senior cat formula.

Feeding a canned product is thought to help prevent stone formation by increasing the total water intake and thus diluting the urine. Cats normally have concentrated urine and diluting it seems to help prevent urinary tract problems. Also, cats with chronic urinary tract problems seem to have an excessive response to stress. Any stress in their environment can trigger a flare-up of bladder trouble. Sometimes even a diet change (even when switching to an appropriate diet) can trigger the development of a problem.

Any cat with a history of medical problems such as bladder stones should have a thorough check-up and a nutritional consult with his veterinarian. If changing diets, switch very gradually (2-4 weeks) to help prevent a problem.

From that statement I am thinking it may be every bit as good as the Nutro Max I am feeding and would like to mix it so my guys would have some variety.

Could I get some opinions on this please?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
as I have no knowledge of crystals and such, all I can say is I feed Chicken Soup and I love it, my kitties love it, everyone is happy. CS is also cheaper than Nutro, if that has any weight in your decision, I know it does in mine!

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never been able to find Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul in my area...So I feed my two boy cats Nutro Indoor formula.

Tru I sent you a PM.

(also how much is a big of the chicken soup?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

as I have no knowledge of crystals and such, all I can say is I feed Chicken Soup and I love it, my kitties love it, everyone is happy. CS is also cheaper than Nutro, if that has any weight in your decision, I know it does in mine!
katiemae,

Price is definitely a consideration, as well as something a little different for my gangs tastebuds. I've fed Chicken Soup in the past and it was received OK, but I don't want to compound any problems I've had with Nugent with the crystals. That's why I went to the Max, but CS sounds like it would be good to mix in from their statement.

When going through at least 80 lb. a month all those pennies and nickels count!

Originally Posted by nedra

I have never been able to find Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul in my area...So I feed my two boy cats Nutro Indoor formula.

Tru I sent you a PM.

(also how much is a big of the chicken soup?)
Nedra,

Here it cost me about $20 an 18 lb. bag for the Chicken Soup. Last month I got the Max on sale for $19.99, but I think they regularly charge about $25 or $26 for that.

Got your PM and responded, Thanks!

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tru,
the chicken soup sounds really reasonable in price! I pay $30.00 for the nutro indoor but I only have two cats so it is $15.00 a month. So it isn't much more then Purina for me.

I am glad the Max works good for Nugent!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, Pixel got a UTI recently, & that's what she eats. but it was her first, & she's 9, so she was probably due. it does have cranberry to help with acidification [is that a word?] & i think it's an excellent food for the price. ingredient-wise, it's equivalent to nutro [actually, i think it's better] - compare below:
CS:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Chicken, Salmon, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, whole grain white rice, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey, duck, flaxseed, egg product, natural chicken flavor, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, kelp, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, methionine, potassium chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. [/font]
Nutro:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Rice, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, Salmon Meal (natural source of Salmon Flavor & DHA), Lamb Meal, Natural Flavors, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Salt, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Cobalt Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Inositol, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement. [/font]

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Max and chicken soup to me are both good low$$ premiums...

max has wheat which is okay for non allergic cat s... it has three meats and three grains with one accesory grain/veggie protein ( which is the item that helps CERTIFY the UTI )... Higher protein

chicken soup has to meats known for causeing issues and five grains plus two near grains plus milk... four meat five grains plus two accesorys... and veggies

the two are a draw quality wise to me and ingrediant ... I would choose the Max cause it is ceriified... but in most feed stores the Chn soup is more cost effective

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I'll pick up a bag or two of the Chicken Soup to throw in with my mix of Max and RC SO tomorrow.

I'll see how my gang likes the mix. Right now they are doing their best to eat around the RC SO pieces.

Nugent has only had the crystals the one time and the doc said that the infection probably caused them. The last time he was in his Ph was 6.0 which the vet said was excellent.

We'll see how it goes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to add: a friend of mine had a cat with chronic UTI issues & Rx SD wasn't in their budget forever. So, they switched to Chicken Soup 5 months ago & no recurrance of the UTI!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I think I'll pick up a bag or two of the Chicken Soup to throw in with my mix of Max and RC SO tomorrow.

I'll see how my gang likes the mix. Right now they are doing their best to eat around the RC SO pieces.

Nugent has only had the crystals the one time and the doc said that the infection probably caused them. The last time he was in his Ph was 6.0 which the vet said was excellent.

We'll see how it goes.
definitely keep us updated!!

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Just wanted to add: a friend of mine had a cat with chronic UTI issues & Rx SD wasn't in their budget forever. So, they switched to Chicken Soup 5 months ago & no recurrance of the UTI!
now that is very interesting

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that had a complete blockage twice and I switched to Chicken soup after he was well and has never had any more problems...hope this helps.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia2

I have a cat that had a complete blockage twice and I switched to Chicken soup after he was well and has never had any more problems...hope this helps.
thanks for your experience Tia!! Chicken Soup is a miracle food!!
I think they should hire me to be their spokesperson

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If I were them I would

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

LOL! No problem!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You'd have people contacting you like crazy to adopt FeLV+ kitties, though!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

You'd have people contacting you like crazy to adopt FeLV+ kitties, though!
well, if they paid me well enough, i could get a big house and have 100 positives!! did I just say that out loud??

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

well, if they paid me well enough, i could get a big house and have 100 positives!! did I just say that out loud??
I had a positive that lived 14 years!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia2

I had a positive that lived 14 years!
that is amazing!! I haven't been that lucky yet, my longest lived so far are 5 years, my very first, and Sapphire (in signature) is probably pretty close to 5 herself right now, she's too ornery to die!!