my cat is hardly eating, scratching at food

rockbasschica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My bf's sister got yoda (6 months old) a bag of kitten food when we saw her at christmas, and now that that has run out, we've gotten yoda the regular grocery store brand that we've been feeding him. he has been scratching at his food bowl and hardly eating, but he is drinking water. how can i get him to eat again? or is he just used to the better food and it'll take a few days for him to decide he should eat this kind? we can't really afford to buy him the premium food from now on.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's always easier to switch a kitty's food by gradually mixing the new food with the current food. Your kitty will have to eat more of the lesser quality food to get the same nutrition as the better quality food, so you may end up paying about the same in the long run. Plus, with the lesser quality food you'll probably have to change litter more often as well.

It isn't always necessary to buy the highest priced food (they aren't even always the best ones), but there are some good quality foods out there at good prices.

I'm going to move this thread to Health & Nutrition for you. There are a couple folks there that have considerable knowledge on food and quality.

Also if you do a search on that forum, you will find loads of information on good quality foods at reasonable prices.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the risk of him getting sick by not eating, I would just go out and get his normal brand of food and then do as Yosemite suggested, and mix it slowly with the new food.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

At the risk of him getting sick by not eating, I would just go out and get his normal brand of food and then do as Yosemite suggested, and mix it slowly with the new food.
Good point - I'd forgotten to mention that if a cat goes without food for a couple days, they can go into liver failure and then you've got a real medical problem.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please give him the old food again ...

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The OP just posted this this morning so they probly havent checked the thread yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockbasschica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i fed him some wet food and he's eating that now, thankfully. i guess he was just used to the other food. thanks