They cut off my cable!!!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so mad right now, the :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: cable company cut off my cable 'cause I had a balance of 15 dollars!!

Last month they didnt send me my receipt, so I went like a crazy woman to pay my cable before they cut it off. I went with the usual 63 dollars in hand because...well its what I always pay. So then they tell me I have to pay the 15 dollars for the modem, because my free period expired. I didnt have it so I told them I would pay on my next bill, because its hard to make the trip all the way to their company.

Last night I sat down to watch TV and the screen was all black so I call today and they said they discontinued my service because I didnt pay the 15 bucks!!

I am so angry right now, and to think I still have a 1 year contract, if I didnt I swear i'd switch companies, I dont like people who dont tell you everything.

I thought it was very rude of them when they didnt send the bill they said 'Well you have to go pay it anyway because if not we disconnect it' What if I dont have the transportation to get to them? They are over 15 miles away!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is weird.
We have no problems at all with balances being added to the following bill.
I'd go nuts otherwise.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How wierd...my DirectTV got turned off today because they said I owed on my balance...not true! I had my checkbook register in front of me, bank statements, etc. Well, ha!!! They messed up, as I thought they did...and my cable was turned on about 30 seconds later. This has happened more than once...what a pain!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is stupid.

Our internet cable compay (who we also use for our home and cellular phone) are very good. With the home phone and the unltra highspeed it's around $70. And they will let us go for quite a long time before calling us or sending us a letter saying we owe them this amount of money.
Hence why we switched our home phone to them, because they are a very nice company.

I also think it depends on the person whom you talk with, as well.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is definately ridiculous, you should get at least an extra 30 days to pay before getting cut off (Well unless of course, you have shortchanged them/late paid like every month for years, and they dont take risks anymore - clearly not the case here)....especially under contract, you think theyd know they ahve the contract, and happily charge you interest on outstanding balance....
heheh

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

How wierd...my DirectTV got turned off today because they said I owed on my balance...not true! I had my checkbook register in front of me, bank statements, etc. Well, ha!!! They messed up, as I thought they did...and my cable was turned on about 30 seconds later. This has happened more than once...what a pain!
Good for you, I am glad that you had your checkbook and stuff all ready for them.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it must be a American thing, I occasionally owe a few cents on my combined Cable, internet, phone bill it never gets shut off. they just cary it forward to the next months bill

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over $15? I'm really quite surprised that they didn't add it to your next balance, or at least call or write you a letter/notice! I'd be really mad!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

it must be a American thing, I occasionally owe a few cents on my combined Cable, internet, phone bill it never gets shut off. they just cary it forward to the next months bill
same here, I tend to pay 1/4 of the usual amount of the bill each week (my BF gets paid weekly) and sometimes I have a credit sometimes I owe them money, they rarely fuss.

once my bank were not paying the phone company, they were making payments but not attaching my account number (and several other people I later found). I don't pay attention to the bill as it is on direct debit and they let it go 4 months before they even called to say that the bill was overdue.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pay them the $15 and haggle them for free stuff for the inconvenience. It's worth a try. Threaten them that you will change companies. Ask to speak to a manager. This works better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

Pay them the $15 and haggle them for free stuff for the inconvenience. It's worth a try. Threaten them that you will change companies. Ask to speak to a manager. This works better.
Oh I am DEFINATELY not letting this go, I find it absolutely ridiculous. I mean I didnt pay my electric bill for 3 months (I get it every two months and didnt receive one receipt) and I never got so much a notice much less got it disconnected!

Im leaving work early today just to go and pay the 15 bucks. They have a 10 dollar fee for late charges and I swear they better not even think about charging m e those 10 dollars! Then its like 25 dollars to get it reconnected and I am NOT going to pay that either. These people are ridiculous

The bad thing is that here in PR there are only two cable companies. This company (Liberty Cable) and Direct TV, and the Direct TV package that has Animal Planet, Scifi, TLC etc doesnt convince me at all.

Also the advantage to this company is that it isnt with a sattelite dish, so crappy weather doesnt affect my signal

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everythign gets straightened out soon. Its not like you just didn't pay the pill. They didn't send it and you were short $15 bucks. They aren't going ot go out of buisness over $15!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

True...I wouldn't pay that $10 reconnection fee either!!!
I will not pay it. Oh I am a very passive person but they do not want to mess with me because the whole store will hear me out! Its 15 dollars I owe, 10 dollars late fee (which im not paying), and 25 dollars for reconnecting, which im not paying either because when I paid my last bill they didnt inform me that for 15 bucks it would get disconnected and when they disconnected they didnt even call to give me a chance to pay!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to a woman in Michigan a few years ago. She was short 2 CENTS (yes 2 CENTS) on her Electric Bill and they shut her off...in the middle of winter.

OK, I can understand stricter billing and cut offs from companies due to the economy. But they're not going to go broke of a few bucks.

In your case Julie, since there was no bill and it was your first time, they should've jsut cut off what you didn't pay. I.e if it was the modem, the access to internet. Not the whole thing.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

That happened to a woman in Michigan a few years ago. She was short 2 CENTS (yes 2 CENTS) on her Electric Bill and they shut her off...in the middle of winter.

OK, I can understand stricter billing and cut offs from companies due to the economy. But they're not going to go broke of a few bucks.

In your case Julie, since there was no bill and it was your first time, they should've jsut cut off what you didn't pay. I.e if it was the modem, the access to internet. Not the whole thing.
I definately agree with that.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I got my gas shut off for oweing them 22 CENTS!!!!
Actually that sounds like my company.

Originally Posted by JulieKit

Oh I am so mad right now, the :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: cable company cut off my cable 'cause I had a balance of 15 dollars!!

Last month they didnt send me my receipt, so I went like a crazy woman to pay my cable before they cut it off. I went with the usual 63 dollars in hand because...well its what I always pay. So then they tell me I have to pay the 15 dollars for the modem, because my free period expired. I didnt have it so I told them I would pay on my next bill, because its hard to make the trip all the way to their company.

Last night I sat down to watch TV and the screen was all black so I call today and they said they discontinued my service because I didnt pay the 15 bucks!!

I am so angry right now, and to think I still have a 1 year contract, if I didnt I swear i'd switch companies, I dont like people who dont tell you everything.

I thought it was very rude of them when they didnt send the bill they said 'Well you have to go pay it anyway because if not we disconnect it' What if I dont have the transportation to get to them? They are over 15 miles away!
This is why I don't have cable!!!!! I had nothing but problems from day1 with our cable company. They are so large that they're jerks! I have satellite and couldn't be happier. Have never lost my signal. Bad weather, wind, snow, anything - doesn't effect it. It's also almost 1/2 the price I was paying my stupid cable company. I never felt better than the day I called them and said - "please turn off my service" and they asked why - "Because I've gone with sattelite and frankly don't want to deal with your crappy company anymore"
The thing that proves they really don't give a crap is I have not gotten one incentive, notice, nothing asking me to come back. They could care less that they are losing customers.
(Sorry to get off on a bit of a tangent - I just hate cable! I'm slightly tainted)