Barn cat may be pregnant

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I posted a while back about my 2 barn cats one feral (tom?) and the other very friendly. I brought Honey inside due to the overnight temps. I haven't been able to get close to the other cat. Tonight it is supposed to be 8 degrees.
Anyhow, I think she may be pregnant. She is quite round and her sides stick out a bit. I know nothing other than what I've read on here. She is in the basement right now. She is afraid of the other cats but loves the dogs (go figure) but won't come upstairs.
I'd set up a couple boxes, but I really don't want her having kittens in the basement. It's too cold. I have a large dog crate I can set up in the spare bedroom... is there any other info I need to know to prepare for this?
Are there other signs I can look for to verify she is really pregnant?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tia. Do you have a way to get her to a vet? I am in NE Ohio as well, and boy is it cold here!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia2

Hi all,
I posted a while back about my 2 barn cats one feral (tom?) and the other very friendly. I brought Honey inside due to the overnight temps. I haven't been able to get close to the other cat. Tonight it is supposed to be 8 degrees.
Anyhow, I think she may be pregnant. She is quite round and her sides stick out a bit. I know nothing other than what I've read on here. She is in the basement right now. She is afraid of the other cats but loves the dogs (go figure) but won't come upstairs.
I'd set up a couple boxes, but I really don't want her having kittens in the basement. It's too cold. I have a large dog crate I can set up in the spare bedroom... is there any other info I need to know to prepare for this?
Are there other signs I can look for to verify she is really pregnant?
Tia.....the best way to confirm pregnancy is to take her to your vet. If she is friendly, then you could set her up in your spare bedroom upstairs inside a dog crate..but do not let her out.

As to the other cat...I recommend you set up a humane trap so that you can take it to the vet to be neutered.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an appt for Monday to take her in.

As far as the other cat..I've applied with my local humane society for the TNR program. I'm awaiting a reply. They told me once my paperwork is filed I'll be put on a waiting list for the trap. He'll be neutered and vaccinated as soon as I can get him trapped.

As for Honey, she will be spayed as soon as she can be also..

Kitty, as for the weather, well, you know exactly how cold it is!! It won't stop snowing today.. I can barely see my barn!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kitty, as for the weather, well, you know exactly how cold it is!! It won't stop snowing today.. I can barely see my barn!
Are you near Solon?? I've been a blizzard here!!
I'm so glad your getting your kitty into the vet!

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Are you near Solon?? I've been a blizzard here!!
I'm so glad your getting your kitty into the vet!
I'm northeast of solon in the snow belt...

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm northeast of solon in the snow belt...
You poor thing!
One of my friends is in the Chardon area and she says she's getting slammed. Hopefully you'll be able to trap that other sweetie and bring him in out of the cold!

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You poor thing!
One of my friends is in the Chardon area and she says she's getting slammed. Hopefully you'll be able to trap that other sweetie and bring him in out of the cold!
Lol.. I live in Chardon. I really feel bad for the other cat, but I'm sure this isn't his first year in the snow. He looks pretty rough and his tail is obviously dead as it just hangs. I grew up with a cat with a dead tail, so I named him after her.. "Bootsie" they look similar too. I'm half tempted to buy a trap myself rather than wait, but I think I'd need the crate and it will be occupied. What a dillema. I have 3 house cats, now these two...5 cats in the house?
and one expecting?? ugggh, what have I gotten into?
Ahh, for the love of animals.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I know the feeling! I have 4 in the house, so although it's crowded I wouldn't have it any other way! More love to go around! What kind of kitty is your pregnant one?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you know the barn cat is pregnant for sure?

Good luck to you, and stay warm. I feel your pain (although it's a joy for me...), I have 2 large dogs (soon to be 3), and 3 kitties. Full house here!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! My boyfriend is from Chardon and I am from Hudson. I can totally help you finding low cost clinics, I know a ton of places all over and I can also help you rehome the cats if you want to. Whatever you need I will help. PM me if you need anything. If the TNR people don't reply, don't give up! Just let me know!

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

So you know the barn cat is pregnant for sure?

Good luck to you, and stay warm. I feel your pain (although it's a joy for me...), I have 2 large dogs (soon to be 3), and 3 kitties. Full house here!
Not for sure, but it's the only explanation at the moment for her ever growing tummy! I have a vet appt. Moday morning to find out for sure.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Hey! My boyfriend is from Chardon and I am from Hudson. I can totally help you finding low cost clinics, I know a ton of places all over and I can also help you rehome the cats if you want to. Whatever you need I will help. PM me if you need anything. If the TNR people don't reply, don't give up! Just let me know!
Thanks for the offer of help..I will definitely keep that in mind.
I don't know that I'd qualify for low cost clinics (don't you have to prove a certain income?)

I suppose if Monday's visit rings true of her pregnancy, then we can talk homes for the kittens..

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

LOL, I know the feeling! I have 4 in the house, so although it's crowded I wouldn't have it any other way! More love to go around! What kind of kitty is your pregnant one?
Honey or Piglet (I call her both) is an orange tabby DSH. Once I have more time to pick pictures and resize and figure out things, I'll post a picture of her. Maybe I can get a siggy together of my others too at some point.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the offer of help..I will definitely keep that in mind.
I don't know that I'd qualify for low cost clinics (don't you have to prove a certain income?)

I suppose if Monday's visit rings true of her pregnancy, then we can talk homes for the kittens..
not at all. well you do for the free clinics, but low cost no. I mean, it may be around $25 for males and $45 for females, but that still beats a $150 spay from a regular vet clinic.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

not at all. well you do for the free clinics, but low cost no. I mean, it may be around $25 for males and $45 for females, but that still beats a $150 spay from a regular vet clinic.
Ok great..

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok great..
I PM'ed you, let me know if you have any more specific questions, I am glad to help you out!

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys have been great!!

Here's a picture of Honey bear..

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my Tia, she is absolutely beautiful!!! Now she's the suspected pregnant one, right? Tell us about your other kitties! We'd also love to see pics!