Job Interview today!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a phone call this morning to come in for an interview today at 3:40pm for youth leader position with my city. I get to work with Aboriginal kids ages 5 to 14 at a centre doing physical activities and crafts a couple times a week at night. Right now I'm putting together a binder of activities we can do.

So far I've got Flower Beadwork Mitts, Knots of people, Red River Carts, Who Am I?, Friendship Bracelets, Oh Buffalo, Doorknob or Wall hanging, Floor Hockey, Map You Own City, 21, Dream Catchers and Talking circles, scavenger hunts, relay races.

Any suggestions for games or crafts?

Any vibes you could spare for me would be great thanks!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice.. I just want to wish you the best of luck!!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant think of anything right now but everything u have does sound good, I wish u all the luck in the world
I am keeping my finger crossed for u

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe thanks guys!

I'm not to nervous because I can hold my own and I'm coming prepared!!! LOL I hope I surprise them with my preparedness lol

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good luck on your interview!! and as far as crafts stuff, i did this one thing in preschool (so it would be better for the younger kids maybe, but heck I wouldn't doing it again and I'm 29
) but it was basically you get a plastic art box, cut a bit of paper to fit in the bottom, squirt some paint in there, just a little, but a couple different colors, then you throw 3 marbles in there and shake it up! you get a really cool swirly painted picture. I liked it!!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like you've put together an excellent assortment of crafts that would definitely interest them! Good luck with your interview! }}}}}}}}}}}

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

good luck on your interview!! and as far as crafts stuff, i did this one thing in preschool (so it would be better for the younger kids maybe, but heck I wouldn't doing it again and I'm 29
) but it was basically you get a plastic art box, cut a bit of paper to fit in the bottom, squirt some paint in there, just a little, but a couple different colors, then you throw 3 marbles in there and shake it up! you get a really cool swirly painted picture. I liked it!!
ooo That sounds very nice! Thanks!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this qualifies but it gets kids using their imaginations:

The Paper Bag game

Divide the kids into teams (4-5 people is about right) and then prepare a paper bag of 5-8 small everyday objects for each team, the same number in each bag. The teams then have half an hour to invent a story that contains all of the objects in their bag, and as one of them tells it, the others hold up each object as it is mentioned. You can simplify or make it more difficult to allow for age/ability etc.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!! Those vibes really worked!

OMG I GOT IT!!!!!

So I went for my interview and she hired me before I got there LOL she goes I'm sorta doing this backwards. So we talked a little and filled out forms and then she asked me the interview questions. I think I did really well anyways because she said in all her years, she's never had a leader come prepared with a binder of activities before and she really liked my activities.
It's 2 hours/week at 13 bucks an hour.

I also got a second job I know!!! It's just hallway monitoring at another youth center(because they've got like 50 kids out) Very easy job for 2 hours a week at 10 bucks an hour. 140 dollars will go towards getting my first aid and cpr certification for my summer job and the rest go straight to the vegas fund LOL!

I'm really happy, but I'm off to work. I start tonight lol at 5pm.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, good for you!!! I'm proud of you!!!

Here's something I do during my winter thematic unit for my special ed. kiddos:

WINTER CLOTHING RELAY!!!

Bring in a box of mittens, hats, coats, scarves, snow suits, etc., make two teams, and divide the clothes between 2 boxes. Ready, set, go! The kids put all of the clothes on, run down to the finish line, run around to the back of line, take their clothes off, put them back into the box, and the next person in line goes. Whichever team finishes first wins!

Have you ever seen the Oriental Trading Company catalog? Lots of CHEAP pre-made craft and seasonal activities in bulk! Check it out!!!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone again!

Originally Posted by wookie130

Oh, good for you!!! I'm proud of you!!!

Here's something I do during my winter thematic unit for my special ed. kiddos:

WINTER CLOTHING RELAY!!!

Bring in a box of mittens, hats, coats, scarves, snow suits, etc., make two teams, and divide the clothes between 2 boxes. Ready, set, go! The kids put all of the clothes on, run down to the finish line, run around to the back of line, take their clothes off, put them back into the box, and the next person in line goes. Whichever team finishes first wins!

Have you ever seen the Oriental Trading Company catalog? Lots of CHEAP pre-made craft and seasonal activities in bulk! Check it out!!!
That's a great game! We'll definately have to do that one! And I've never heard of it, but I'm going to have to look it up! THanks!