TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Reeses' Late Night Pantry Raid
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reeses' Late Night Pantry Raid

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm still laughing about this...

3am this morning Reeses hops off our bed and leaves the room in order to do god-knows-what. A few minutes later I hear our cabinet doors slamming. Last week I installed those internal baby proof locks that only let you open the door about 1 1/2" and then you have to press a tab to open it the rest of the way. This does not deter Reeses one bit. She'll still try to get in even though the door doesn't open all the way for her. Her favorite cabinet is the one we keep her treats in.

After a while the slamming stops and I hear her playing with her squeaky mouse in the living room. This is then followed by a rustling sound. I'm still sleepy so I just thought she was playing with the paper bag we put in the living room. Eventually the sound gets closer and closer and I can tell that she's dragging it down the hall. My wife wakes up and goes into the hall to investigate. I hear her go into the kitchen for a minute, and then she uses the bathroom and comes back. I ask her why she was in the kitchen. Apparently the sound we heard was not the paper bag, it was her bag of Special Kitty Cat Treats She had opened the cabinet door as much as she could, and then with all determination, was able to use her paw and get the treat bag out of the cabinet. She then somehow sliced through the bag cleanly through BOTH sides, and got whatever treats were left out, and then ate the treats.

Here's a picture of the bag in question (note, the ziplock seal at the top is still closed):



She has also spent the last half hour trying to get back into the same cabinet. I went in there and she was meowing for treats and I said "No, you've had more than enough for today!". I looked and she had grabbed hold of a can of wet cat food that we have in the cabinet and had dragged it toward the door. If she could only figure out how to flip it on to it's side I'm sure now she'd have no problem getting it out and no problem figuring out how to open it
post #2 of 20
you have such an amazing kit ! I think you need to install cameras all around your house
way to go Reeses - midnight snacks are just the best
post #3 of 20
I love hearing these naughty kitty stories! They are so clever at getting to what they want I am starting to believe there is no way you can prevent them once they put their minds to it, no human invention is enough to foil a smart and determined cat!

I am NOT letting Radar read this thread. I finally stopped him getting into the cupboards by leaving the large bag of clay litter in front of the doors. He's now taken to sitting in the kitchen in front of the doors and squeaking pitifully. No treats in there, just plastic bags, but he wants them so badly!
post #4 of 20
Thats a funny story, thanks for sharing
post #5 of 20
You need to stop starving that poor kitty
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epona View Post
I love hearing these naughty kitty stories! They are so clever at getting to what they want I am starting to believe there is no way you can prevent them once they put their minds to it, no human invention is enough to foil a smart and determined cat!

I am NOT letting Radar read this thread. I finally stopped him getting into the cupboards by leaving the large bag of clay litter in front of the doors. He's now taken to sitting in the kitchen in front of the doors and squeaking pitifully. No treats in there, just plastic bags, but he wants them so badly!
I initially started by putting locks on the two doors under our sink because those were the ones she was first interested in. Eventually she gave up interest and just recently started getting into some of the other doors. I remember one morning the racket was so bad, before I got locks installed, I had to put our recycle bin, a trash barrel and a chair in front of the doors just so I could go back to sleep *lol*

Definately look into those locks. This is the kind I put up. The hook on the door catchs a piece on the edge of the cabinet and only lets the door open about an inch and a half. Then you have to press down to release it. The only problem is I constantly forget we have them and then even I can't get in

post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireBear View Post
You need to stop starving that poor kitty
Oh yeah she's skin and bones....
post #8 of 20
So have you gotten that webcam yet????
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
So have you gotten that webcam yet????
No not yet, although I should just for our own entertainment. My wife got a new laptop for work and it has a camera on it with a Photobooth program that can morph your face about 9 different ways. We spent about a half hour making faces in front of it
post #10 of 20
She's a character isn't she
post #11 of 20
Determined little dickens, isn't she!

Some time ago, at another website, there was a series of pics posted of this person's cats. One would get the treat cannister out of the cabinet, then open it and pass out treats to the rest of the cats.
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
Determined little dickens, isn't she!

Some time ago, at another website, there was a series of pics posted of this person's cats. One would get the treat cannister out of the cabinet, then open it and pass out treats to the rest of the cats.
*lol* Just like the little kid who climbs onto the cabinet and gets cookies for their siblings
post #13 of 20
I'm telling you.. I love reading what she does.. She a determined little one isn't she!!! That cracks me up.. My girl literally will sit at the cabinet,, which is up high and meow at it for ever until we feed them or give them something out of it... There not so big on treats.. They go back on forth on wanting them and not wanting them.. They crack me up.......

You have a curious george for a cat!!!
post #14 of 20
I forgot to mention that when I first read the thread title I thought it said "panty" raid. I was wondering if maybe Reeses got into your tighty whitey drawer.
post #15 of 20
Wow she is determined!

Chessy opened a container of treats in the middle of the night once (the kind with the lid that pops on) and ate half of them. It was my fault for leaving the container out though.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
Determined little dickens, isn't she!
post #17 of 20
those are the type of baby locks I have- just be careful you don't break them as I have done they work fairly well, except for the part where the can get them open a little bit and then slam them shut over and over and over again
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
those are the type of baby locks I have- just be careful you don't break them as I have done they work fairly well, except for the part where the can get them open a little bit and then slam them shut over and over and over again
Yeah she's doing that now...over and over and over and over...If there is an Advil or painkiller gift in the store, someone please buy me a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
I forgot to mention that when I first read the thread title I thought it said "panty" raid. I was wondering if maybe Reeses got into your tighty whitey drawer.
Hah, I thought people might read it as that too. Go see my thread "Why is there cat fur on my socks???" or something like that. It wasn't the underwear drawer but it was close
post #19 of 20
Cats CAN be sooo DETERMINED to get what they want!! Reese sounds like she'd get along GREAT with Tango and Spike!

Spike and Tango will tear things just to get to cat treats. I have found a bag of cat treats all ripped up on the floor.. I also found a cat food plastic container with holes all over it another time... I have pics of that somewhere.

Tango has figured out how to open the food canister by unscrewing the LID!!
In the past, I'd wake up and find the lid on the floor and it confused me at first because I was positive I had screwed the lid back on. It was not until one time I finally CAUGHT Tango doing it. I actually filmed him unscrewing it and it was AMAZING! Now I have to make sure I screw the lid on VERY TIGHT but sometimes he still can open it..

With cats- you have to treat them like kids and childproof everything! I'm surprised no one has come up with "cat proof" locks yet!
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooficat View Post
you have such an amazing kit ! I think you need to install cameras all around your house
way to go Reeses - midnight snacks are just the best
i think Reeses would be a perfect girfriend for 8-Bit...

i have those cabinet locks, too. Cable is always trying to open the cabinet doors...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Reeses' Late Night Pantry Raid