Hey guys, I need some advice/prayers

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday Mia got me really good.
She tried to run out the door and I grabbed her.In the process, I scared her and she scratched my right arm when I went to pick her up. I cleaned it with alchol yesterday and today.But, it is getting red and warm to the touch.What can I do other than go to the Dr for it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another pic

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's the problem it is getting infected.It's really warm and red as well as swollen. Good news, I caught her beofre she could go out and maybe get hit.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try a dose of peroxide on it. If it bubbles there is a bit of infection otherwise the peroxide won't make it worse. It looks like the site of the scratch is just a little inflamed

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here's another pic of it

gonna try the peroixide

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the peroxide idea. It always works for me. Just pour it over it several times a day and keep it clean otherwise.

Helene
Mom to Lady, Douglas and Deacon

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point, I'm willing to try anything!! It burns and it hurts. She caught me off guard,other wise I would've protected my arm more.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stick a band aid on it after putting peroxide on it.
It doesn't look bad to me. You can try ice too if it is still hot.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat scratches HURT, and do get infected easily, and quickly...so take care, and keep your eye on it. Soap antibacterial on it 2-3 times a day, and let it breathe!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!! It burns more than anything right now.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only use peroxide ONCE!... The more you put on it, the more it kills the GOOD bacteria that kills the bad... DH has a nasty scar because he kept pouring peroxide on it..

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, use the peroxide but keep an eye on it. If you see any red streaks running out from the scratches, see a doctor - that's a sign of blood poisoning. When we tried to catch our Simba to isolate him for socialization, he bit all three of us, my hubby, our daughter and me. Hubby and I had no problem, but our daughter got blood poisoning and had to have antibiotics.

Yours doesn't look too bad as yet so just keep an eye on it.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info and suggestions!!!!
I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Tammy ....... just going to say OUCH! ....... Laura and Kiko try to climb my back all of the time and if their back claws are not cut, they mark me like that.

It doesnt look infected, just inflamed, keep an eye on it, if it looks worse, take another pic for us to evaluate.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Hey Tammy ....... just going to say OUCH! ....... Laura and Kiko try to climb my back all of the time and if their back claws are not cut, they mark me like that.

It doesnt look infected, just inflamed, keep an eye on it, if it looks worse, take another pic for us to evaluate.
Will do!!!! Hopefully it won't get infected.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Yesterday Mia got me really good.
She tried to run out the door and I grabbed her.In the process, I scared her and she scratched my right arm when I went to pick her up. I cleaned it with alchol yesterday and today.But, it is getting red and warm to the touch.What can I do other than go to the Dr for it?
No need to go to the doctor for that.

Make yourself a saline solution to clean it with.

Boil water and mix 1 cup of water to 1 tsp of salt. Put it in a sterile jar and keep it in the fridge.

Clean the scratches with the salt water. Pat it dry. Put some Polysporin ointment (over the counter at the Pharamacy) on it. Cover with a sterile guaze pad.

Keep the dressing dry.

Change the dressing twice a day or more if it gets wet, cleaning it with the saline solution each time.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My main concern is Cat Scratch Fever. I've heard it's pretty rough and the main antibiotic they use is Penicillin to help clear it up.I'm HIGHLY allergic to Penicillin.