What does this sound like to you (kid ?)

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so the school called me yesterday to pick my mind son up from school. He is 5 yrs old. He had a low grade fever 100.3 and was complaining of very bad stomach cramps. Come to think of it he had them that previous night but I thought it was just gas. Anyways I get to the school and he was sound asleep on the cot. So I get him home and he was in so much pain. He could not lay in one place. Kicking crying everything. So I made a appt for his doctor for that day (1 1/2 hrs after we got home was the appt time). Get there he had no fever, throat was not red or swollen, and ears look fine, still tired acting, and still in pain. Doctor goes to tapping on his tummy and he said there was a lot of air in there. But that was it. Sent us home with liquid Zantac and another medicine for the cramps.

Today he is still in a lot of pain even though he still taking Zantac 3 times a day. And he has one swollen lymph node (left side) and poops are fine. Also no vomitting.

I already see a trip back to the doctors tomorrow. I can not handle seeing him in so much pain. And bless his heart he has been through a lot and now has to deal with this.

Anyone have any ideas.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the doctor check his appendix?

If it is gas only, this sounds weird, but have him squat, bend over, lie down and bring his knees to his chin, etc. different positions to help get the gas out.

I'm glad you are going back tomorrow, sending good thoughts to you and your little guy.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are alot of stomach bugs and things going around right now. Hopefull that's all that it is. Poor little guy, I hope he gets well soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it gets real bad he does crawl into the fetal position but I am guessing he is in to much pain to stay that way. When we were there yesterday they tapped on his belly and pushed on it but he didn't wench away in pain or make any kind of odd face. At first I thought maybe it was a stomach bug or something but after 24 hrs (on the low side) he is not vomiting or having diarrhea. Then I thought maybe constipated but he did that just fine a bit ago and he is still in pain.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I was thinking apendix too... or possibly an ulser? (I wouldn't think so at his age) I would want a second opinion from another doctor.
I did think about ulcers but after talking with the hubby I don't think thats it. He has ulcers and said he has never had those type symptoms.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now he is rolling around the floor hurting. I so do not know what to do right now. I feel so bad for him. He had a dose of ZanTac an hour ago and still in pain. Just gave him a dose of the other medicine. Should I call the after hour number?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hrmmmm, sounds a lot like irritable bowel to me ... talk to your pediatrician about introducing a bland diet to reduce the symptoms ... I would want to see if it isn't some sensitivity to a recently ingested food.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I called and all he said I can do for tonight is give him a TUMS because that will dissolve the acid or something. That all the ZanTac does is stop any acids from producing. He said for tonight this is all I can do. And I told him if when he wakes feeling like he does right now except a a visit from me the moment his doors open. Something just does not jive with me over this. If this was a bug I would certainly assume the vomiting or diarrhea would have started by now. Its been over 24 hrs since this started. Plus he has no fever at all just lots of pain. Which does seem to come and go but on part is frequent and long and painful.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to tell you.....Try to get him comfortable for the night, maybe as she said the TUMS will aleviate the gas and he'll be fine in the morning. I certainly hope so. <<<Little guy feel better VIBES>>>

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just hold him for a little while, sometimes little ones just feel a little better with their mama holding them. At least maybe then he can go to sleep for the night.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said his poops are normal.But, is he going as much as he normally does? Maybe he is a bit constipated?
Try wrapping him up in a warm blanket like you do an infant and hopefully that will ease some of the pain.Or a heating pad.
Maybe give him some Tylenol for pain.