Wanna hear how CLUELESS some people can be??

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I work at an university and I am in charge of setting interviews up for various employers so I send out MANY different emails out to students, staff and alumni informing them of interviews for potential internships or employment. I sent out at least 200 emails today alone to give you an idea of how many emails I deal with on a daily basis.

WELLLLL this week ALONE, I have received at least 5 emails from 5 different people asking silly questions. Normally I am pretty patient with students but it seems like lately these students are not even reading my emails carefully and not making themselves clear on what they need from me. I'm like HELLO????? THINK???

I will post 2 emails I've received TODAY as examples.

Hello Pamela
I received an email about an interview for a job/internship. Can you
give me some ideas of what kind of jobs this is for? I am a student but I have a lot of time on my schedule and I want to fill it in with a job.
Thanks,

2nd email from a student-

My name is ........... and I wanted to ask if it'd be ok if I come in
tomorrow to fill out the information? I have a full day today and will
not be free again until 6pm. If so please let me know, I am really
interested in both a job and internship.

OKAY- first of all I have NO IDEA which email they are referring to since I send MANY emails out!

It is starting to get on my nerves when I get emails like this cuz then I have to reply saying something like this when I have sooo many other things that I need to do.

Here's my reply to the FIRST email-
Good morning....,
I have sent out so many emails.

Can you specify which email you're talking about? Maybe forward it to me
then I'll know which one you're talking about and be able to help you more.

Thanks.
Pamela

Reply to the 2nd email
Good afternoon ......,

What kind of information do you want to fill out? Are you talking about WRP?
If so, yes come in anytime between 9 to 4 tmr. If you can't make it during
these hours, let me know and I'll work something out with you.
Pamela

These may seem trivial to you but when I keep getting them on a daily basis....

Ok- enough of my whining! I"ll go back to working late now. Thanks for listening.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor thing! I completely understand. When I get stupid e-mails - I start slamming the mouse on the computer screen. (I wouldn't recommend it - I went through 3 mice at my last job!
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

You poor thing! I completely understand. When I get stupid e-mails - I start slamming the mouse on the computer screen. (I wouldn't recommend it - I went through 3 mice at my last job!
)
LOL! THANKS for the sympathy!

Sometimes when I get REALLY FRUSTRATED, I will slam my fists on my desk. I don't recommend that either cuz I would end up with SORE hands/wrists!
Once my boss heard and came in to check on me too- his office is 2 doors away so that shows how loud it must've been!!

He was like "Pamela.. Are you ok? I thought I heard something hitting the desk?" I was like "Oh hmm yeah, don't worry about me!" YIKES! LOL.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing to whine about...

I was going through candidates paperwork to make sure everything's ready for interviews tomorrow.. (working late as usual!)

GUESS WHAT??? TWO candidates have either MISSING or INCOMPLETE paperwork!!

I have made it very very very clear to the student workers who are responsible for signing people up that all paperwork must be completed and submitted before signing people up! Now, I have to spend my evening and tomorrow morning chasing these 2 candidates down to get paperwork from them!

And these candidates- why can't they even fill out a simple application???

This is it. I am getting way too annoyed to continue working late! I am wrapping things up and taking home to work on (maybe!) LOL.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are in the middle of applications for interns to and it is awful, from the ones who decide to handwrite their applications and I can't even read their name, the handwriting is so bad to the ones who obviously haven't read the application package because of the dumb questions they ask (like when does it start etc).

As far as missing paperwork, we no longer follow them up, we work on the assumption that if they can not be bothered to get all the necessary paperwork in by the deadline, they won't bother so much with the work they are given as an intern.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

And these candidates- why can't they even fill out a simple application???

This is it. I am getting way too annoyed to continue working late! I am wrapping things up and taking home to work on (maybe!) LOL.
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

As far as missing paperwork, we no longer follow them up, we work on the assumption that if they can not be bothered to get all the necessary paperwork in by the deadline, they won't bother so much with the work they are given as an intern.
I agree with Eithne. If these people are so lazy/incompetent/whatever to fill out the application properly, then tough. Time to learn that they're not in kindergarten anymore and no one's gonna hold their hand!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean...I always get these emails from pesky underwriters wanting to know random tidbits of info that really seem unimportant. I get at least 10 a day
Can you guess how long I leave them?? Uh.....I leave them until all my other emails are deleted.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I really do sympathise.

The one I get most frequently is the one-liner "when will my order arrive?"
er... no reference number, no name, no clue as to what you have ordered - WHICH (*&%^& ORDER! Do you think you're the ONLY person to have ordered anything ever, or maybe you think I've got a crystal ball on my desk

*hits head on desk*

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes i know the feeling well. Sometimes i get them on the answering machine at work asking for a member of the sales team to ring them, but it would help if they left their name and number!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps this is the week for not reading emails.

Yesterday at work we had a meeting in regards to email (apparently I actually got the spam filter working, so people are now concerned they aren't getting all their emails - they'll complain about too much spam in a few months).
Anyways, there were two resolutions made: 1) I can open up your email to allow ALL emails (spam, junk and legit) or 2) Give me a list of legit customers and I'll set them on the approved list.

One guy sent me the list before I could confirm #1 was possible. So I replied back and said "I can add these or would you like for me to open YOUR account up to receive all emails sent to you."

The response I got back "Not really"
Ummm...not really to which part of the question????

So I responded, "Which would you prefer 1 or 2?"

His reply "I don't understand what you're saying."

So I rehashed the resolution that was made IN THE MEETING HE WAS ALSO IN. :doh:

Somedays I wish my desk were made of bricks.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We are in the middle of applications for interns to and it is awful, from the ones who decide to handwrite their applications and I can't even read their name, the handwriting is so bad to the ones who obviously haven't read the application package because of the dumb questions they ask (like when does it start etc).

Originally Posted by pushylady

I agree with Eithne. If these people are so lazy/incompetent/whatever to fill out the application properly, then tough. Time to learn that they're not in kindergarten anymore and no one's gonna hold their hand!
I agree with you on this. HOWEVER, I prefer to have a FULL interview schedule for the employer with all the paperwork submitted because I want them to have a postive experience and keep coming back to recruit.. So that's why policy is that NO ONE can sign up for an interview before they can submit ALL paperwork.

I don't mean to brag about this but some employers have told me that working with me in recruiting has been the BEST experience they have had in recruiting at various universities. At most of the other universities, when the employer shows up for the interviews, they'd find out that there's no paperwork submitted and/or that there were not many interviews scheduled so it would not be as productive & effective for them.

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I know what you mean...I always get these emails from pesky underwriters wanting to know random tidbits of info that really seem unimportant. I get at least 10 a day
Can you guess how long I leave them?? Uh.....I leave them until all my other emails are deleted.
OH I WISH I can do that!! But if I do, people WILL complain to my boss!!
One student emailed me his resume and other stuff and asked me to confirm that I had received this.. Within FIVE minutes of sending this email, he faxed me the same paperwork and asked the same thing.. Within another FIVE minutes, he actually called my secretary to complain that I had not replied yet. For heaven's sake! Like I'm sitting at my computer staring and waiting for him to email me before replying immediately!!

Originally Posted by Epona

Oh I really do sympathise.

The one I get most frequently is the one-liner "when will my order arrive?"
er... no reference number, no name, no clue as to what you have ordered - WHICH (*&%^& ORDER! Do you think you're the ONLY person to have ordered anything ever, or maybe you think I've got a crystal ball on my desk

*hits head on desk*
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Yes i know the feeling well. Sometimes i get them on the answering machine at work asking for a member of the sales team to ring them, but it would help if they left their name and number!!
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Perhaps this is the week for not reading emails.

Yesterday at work we had a meeting in regards to email (apparently I actually got the spam filter working, so people are now concerned they aren't getting all their emails - they'll complain about too much spam in a few months).
Anyways, there were two resolutions made: 1) I can open up your email to allow ALL emails (spam, junk and legit) or 2) Give me a list of legit customers and I'll set them on the approved list.

One guy sent me the list before I could confirm #1 was possible. So I replied back and said "I can add these or would you like for me to open YOUR account up to receive all emails sent to you."

The response I got back "Not really"
Ummm...not really to which part of the question????

So I responded, "Which would you prefer 1 or 2?"

His reply "I don't understand what you're saying."

So I rehashed the resolution that was made IN THE MEETING HE WAS ALSO IN. :doh:

Somedays I wish my desk were made of bricks.
Oh these would annoy me too!!!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People seem to forget that there is a REPLY button and just fill out a whole new email. Which is just silly and confusing.

I have lots of people email me with cat questions, or wanting a cat or wanting to give up a cat. I have many animals posted all over the internet. When I get an email saying something like

"Hi. I am interested. Sounds perfect for my home. Please tell me if she is still available."

I have to email back asking who they are talking about and explain the various ads I have posted... so ya I know what you mean. I also had a woman who would email me by putting as much of the message she wanted to tell me, in the subject line of the email. Then it would say there is nothing inside. Meaning I didn't even have to open the email to know what she was saying. How dumb is that?

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

People seem to forget that there is a REPLY button and just fill out a whole new email. Which is just silly and confusing.

I have lots of people email me with cat questions, or wanting a cat or wanting to give up a cat. I have many animals posted all over the internet. When I get an email saying something like

"Hi. I am interested. Sounds perfect for my home. Please tell me if she is still available."

I have to email back asking who they are talking about and explain the various ads I have posted... so ya I know what you mean. I also had a woman who would email me by putting as much of the message she wanted to tell me, in the subject line of the email. Then it would say there is nothing inside. Meaning I didn't even have to open the email to know what she was saying. How dumb is that?
Oh that's funny but annoying too!

Guess what? I just embarrassed myself a few minutes ago! I was having some problems at work- trying to do some emails, trying to find some notes from a meeting with an employer and can't find the notes therefore I can't proceed with creating a flyer then my mouse would not cooperate with me so I slammed the mouse down on the desk and i said something like "OH COME ON YOU StUPID ..." JUST as my boss walked past my office!! OOPS...

He stopped, looked at me and said, "Are you okay?".. I feel sooo dumb now!