Um... I don't know how this happened.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SIL got a phone call from a pet store today saying that they had a dog on hold for her. Some guy from her MySpace account found out that they wanted another dog and went to the pet store and bought it for her. Well, as to not get in trouble with her husband, she said that DH and I paid for the dog.

Here's the deal. Once they get sick of the dog they are going to drop the thing off at our house. We are going to be stuck with it. DH is fuming because his sister can't say no. I'm upset because I'm not really a dog person.

It will be about a year, but we are going to end up with a Beagle.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
....that's not right.

It's nice that you are accepting now that you will have a dog in a year's time, but you shouldn't have to do that. You're sure she'll not take care of it and be ready to surrender it within a year? Poor puppy.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't your SIL just kindly refuse the dog? Most stores won't sell to folks who are "ready" per say for that kind of committment. She could just tell them it was purchased for her and she doesn't want it and make the MySpace dude take it or get a refund. That's not right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

....that's not right.

It's nice that you are accepting now that you will have a dog in a year's time, but you shouldn't have to do that. You're sure she'll not take care of it and be ready to surrender it within a year? Poor puppy.
My SIL gets sick of dogs after they stop being cute. Because of the breed I give this one a year. We should be in a house at that time so I'm sure it will be dropped off at our door. We won't have a choice.

There are just things in life that you know are going to happen. The last five (yes five) dogs have ended up either at the APL or back with the original owners. Her husband will just drop them off in the middle of the night.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Can't your SIL just kindly refuse the dog? Most stores won't sell to folks who are "ready" per say for that kind of committment. She could just tell them it was purchased for her and she doesn't want it and make the MySpace dude take it or get a refund. That's not right.
Oh... I asked her that! She said "But it's so CUTE!!!"

She has no idea.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

My SIL gets sick of dogs after they stop being cute. Because of the breed I give this one a year. We should be in a house at that time so I'm sure it will be dropped off at our door. We won't have a choice.

There are just things in life that you know are going to happen. The last five (yes five) dogs have ended up either at the APL or back with the original owners. Her husband will just drop them off in the middle of the night.
Wow.
I can't say I really kow how to respond to that. You have a good heart Heather, and its a good thing that you do for the sake of this puppy's future.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow.
I can't say I really kow how to respond to that. You have a good heart Heather, and its a good thing that you do for the sake of this puppy's future.
Well... at least I know what size yard to look for!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! How sad. Poor puppy. That's terrible.
At least think of it this way (I guess) - better that she get sick of it after a year and drop it at a better home than keep it for it's entire life and neglect it of love and care.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy WOW! I swear if I would tell her hubby that you absolutely did NOT buy that dog so that you don't end up with an animal you really are not looking for.
That's a load of who ha if you get my drift. Your SIL needs to tell the myspace guy to take the dog back and that she shouldn't be accepting gifts from him.
That's just strange. and if she isn't a good animal owner to begin with, it's very imperitive that she doesn't get this dog and then throw it on your house to cause you chaos.
Sorry if that sounds harsh. You're a true angel to help the poor dog but it's unfair to put both the puppy and you through this.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm half really made at your SIL and half chuffed as I like Beagles

I'd say something now- the dogs life is at stack

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Holy WOW! I swear if I would tell her hubby that you absolutely did NOT buy that dog so that you don't end up with an animal you really are not looking for.
That's a load of who ha if you get my drift. Your SIL needs to tell the myspace guy to take the dog back and that she shouldn't be accepting gifts from him.
That's just strange. and if she isn't a good animal owner to begin with, it's very imperitive that she doesn't get this dog and then throw it on your house to cause you chaos.
Sorry if that sounds harsh. You're a true angel to help the poor dog but it's unfair to put both the puppy and you through this.
The lie she told may save her life. Her husband is abusive, and this would set him off.

I just wish she would have told the pet store that she had no idea what was going on and that she didn't want the dog.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess the thing that bothers me more about this situation is that your SIL is being dishonest with her husband...what the heck is she doing conversing with men on MySpace for? It just doesn't sit right with me...and since it's being kept secret from hubby, she must know that it's wrong too, and it's something that would bother him. And then, there's the whole issue of her accepting animal gifts from an online male friend...wierd! That's NOT the way you acquire a puppy or pet!

What a shame for her husband, and the dog. Bless your heart for planning to take the puppy in the future.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well hopefully she'll keep the dog or find someone else to take it in.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

....that's not right.

Yeah, I agree, poor puppy, kinda like a new toy, keep it for a while and then just put it up someplace, I feel sorry for the little puppy.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The lie she told may save her life. Her husband is abusive, and this would set him off.

I just wish she would have told the pet store that she had no idea what was going on and that she didn't want the dog.
I just hope then it is not even a year then, if he is abusive, what is gonna stop him from being abusive to a little puppy. I wish you would just take the puppy sooner if you get a chance.

At least your sister-in-law can defend herself if she would have too, a poor little puppy can't.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I just hope then it is not even a year then, if he is abusive, what is gonna stop him from being abusive to a little puppy. I wish you would just take the puppy sooner if you get a chance.

At least your sister can defend herself if she would have too, a poor little puppy can't.
She refuses to go, so I can't do anything except watch and be strong. His wrath is mostly taken out on her and walls. Everyone else just avoids him.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She refuses to go, so I can't do anything except watch and be strong. His wrath is mostly taken out on her and walls. Everyone else just avoids him.
That is so sad, to have to live like that, and to have to watch someone you love live like that.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG! I forgot! How stupid of me! I'm so sorry!
You're right she should've just told the pet store she didn't know what they were talking about.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, how did I miss that? Maybe we posted at the same time...

Well, what a shame that he's abusive to her. I hope that she can find the strength to move away from her life with him...how awful.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

That is so sad, to have to live like that, and to have to watch someone you love live like that.

It's more a sense of frustration for me rather than sad. When I first found out I cried, but now that this cycle has been going on for years it's just upsetting. I've sent her stacks of information on what this is doing to her kids and she ignores it. I've talked to her about leaving and she says she wants to, but doesn't know how to move on with her life. I'll arrange for therapy, but she'll never show for the appointments. I'm just waiting for the whole mess to fall apart. It shouldn't be long now.