Burnt Pads

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let me start off by saying I appreciate all your peoples helpful advice and support.
Ok, last week Wed we came home from work and smelt something unusual and I thought my 15 yr old step some had decided to try something funny. He was sitting at the kitchen table working on his car models. Upon quesitioning him, we found out that our baby (2yr old female) Precious had jumped on the woodstove. We heat the one side of the house strictly with wood heat. The boy said that he was just sitting there and she just jumped up on it for no reason that he could see. She jumped down and tore off like crazy
. The trooper she is she didn't yowl or hiss or growl or anything. That was about 10 min before we came home. When we were told we tracked her down - she was hiding in our room (safe haven). She is an almost all black cat with black pads - her left front paw has two pads which were shiny pink and one had the layer of black just hanging there

This had happened to our 4yr old male Mandarin Orange but it wasn't this bad and it was his left front paw. We didn't really do anything with it - he seemed to take care of it himself by licking it. He was back to normal in no time. These were much worse. We figured we would check them everyday to watch there progress. I carried her everywhere she needed to go and cuddled with her for the whole weekend. As well as putting aloe vera plant gel on them. The first time I did it she wasn't to happy with me. The second time she licked it off and went for the leaf....so I haven't been doing anything. The pads are now icky looking as they are scabbed over and looking like they are on the mend. I didn't think as I've been worried about my boy with his urinary blockage....when it rains it pours.
So my question is ... is there anything else I can do other than baby her?

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to call your vet and explain what happened. If the skin is peeling off there may be a danger of infection.

Obviously she is not in pain so that is good. I'm not sure about anything else, but please call and tell your vet.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's no infection, it pretty much just has to heal on its own, like a human burn. I was going to suggest aloe plant but looks like you already tried that. Poor baby. Is there a way to set something up near the stove to where the cats wont want to jump up there? Hope your baby feels better soon.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First the peeling of her pads are the blisters breaking. She really needs an ointment that can be prescribed by your vet to fight any infection.

I speak from experience. My boy Max was accidentally locked in the dryer. I won't go in to the details but it was horrible. Every thing blistered on him even his nose, ears and every pad on his paws. It's been years now but the scars will always be there on his paws.

Be careful with the litter it will get into the blisters and make an infection even worse. If you can use shredded newspaper until the pads have healed completely.

Call the vet and see if they can recommend something. I wish you all the best.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest hat you take her to the vet as soon as possible. I rescued Squeeker from a house fire when he was only 3 weeks old. All of his little paws were burnt and started to peel a few days after we got him. I recommend taking her in and getting her paws bandaged not only to ease her discomfort but to ensure that they do not get infected. I think we had Squeekers feet bandaged for atleast 2 weeks, he was miserable but his paws have since healed fine.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnum jumped into a pot of boiling water years back and the doctor used an oinment on his paws and bandaged them for two weeks also. After that, kiddy neosporin had to be applied daily to ensure no infection (bits of litter etc can get in to any burst blisters etc)
I would take her to the vet and get it checked just to be sure

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Tolly burnt his foot (he was stealing off the BBQ) he had antibiotic pills and cream and special nonstick dresings from the vet. I bought some baby's socks to put on it so that he didn't get litter in his pads

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burning is a terrible subject and I am grateful for hte thoughts because I am installing a woodstove in my kitchen and I will have to make it catproof. But I did have to grin at the picture of Tolly - he is a wonderful cat!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Burning is a terrible subject and I am grateful for hte thoughts because I am installing a woodstove in my kitchen and I will have to make it catproof. But I did have to grin at the picture of Tolly - he is a wonderful cat!
Tolly says Thank you, he was very good about wearing his sock and his pads healed up perfectly in the end, but at one time we thought he might lose his leg.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

When Tolly burnt his foot (he was stealing off the BBQ) he had antibiotic pills and cream and special nonstick dresings from the vet. I bought some baby's socks to put on it so that he didn't get litter in his pads
AWWWWW poor baby!...I called the vet's and they suggested putting the aloe vera gel on it and then putting a baby sock on it....how do I accomplish this????
Won't the gel wipe off? How do I get the sock to stay on cause she WON'T be happy having it on
. The vets said that as long as it doesn't look pussy or shiny anymore we should be ok. But that if it looks like its getting worse to bring her in. I looked at it again this morning before we left for work and it is actually looking really good (for a burn).

I must say that there is something good that came out of this...she was a stray when we found her wandering on our property (34 acres in the country), 2 yrs ago she was very skittish and really shy - not one for affection....since this has happened she sleeps on a blanket on the floor on my side of the bed and comes to cuddle with me every morning.
I just wish it didn't take this to have her come round.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh heck that sounds terrible, but you´ve got lots of good advice and doesnt it seem our kitties are a bit prone to hopping on hot surfaces !
Heres sending some soothing get well (((((
vibes
))))) to your kitty

Pepsi walked across my hob which has touch-buttons and she managed to turn it on
luckily you have to then touch the button again to activate the rings, so all was OK but it worried the bejeebers outta me

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furry4fury

AWWWWW poor baby!...I called the vet's and they suggested putting the aloe vera gel on it and then putting a baby sock on it....how do I accomplish this????
Won't the gel wipe off? How do I get the sock to stay on cause she WON'T be happy having it on
. The vets said that as long as it doesn't look pussy or shiny anymore we should be ok. But that if it looks like its getting worse to bring her in. I looked at it again this morning before we left for work and it is actually looking really good (for a burn).

I must say that there is something good that came out of this...she was a stray when we found her wandering on our property (34 acres in the country), 2 yrs ago she was very skittish and really shy - not one for affection....since this has happened she sleeps on a blanket on the floor on my side of the bed and comes to cuddle with me every morning.
I just wish it didn't take this to have her come round.
What I did was put the gel on some of that non stick dressing that you can buy for burns, hold that in place and roll the baby sock up over it then put tape round the sock to keep it on. I bought really cheap socks and just cut them off two or three time a day to change the dressing.
Hope she feels better soon.