For the "Coupled" folks: What do you eat when your significant other is not around?

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever my husband is out of town or not around for dinner, I revel in making the things for myself that I can't get him to eat.

Usually it involves either lentils or tofu.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in this and that the rest of you have some sort of "whoohoo, the spouse is out" food as well, and I was curious as to what you all select for yourself when your better half is not around.

My husband makes himself filet, wrapped in bacon, seared in butter, when I'm gone.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the hubby isn't around, I'm very bad to myself. I don't eat much and when I do, its usually some sort of snack or something baaaaaaad! LOL!

Hilda >^..^<

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

When the hubby isn't around, I'm very bad to myself. I don't eat much and when I do, its usually some sort of snack or something baaaaaaad! LOL!

Hilda >^..^<
I agree with you on this one Hilda - it has to be something naughty!!!! When I am going to be home alone, it is usually a very nice bottle of rose, and and Indian takeaway for dinner.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I often make myself pancakes
He doesn't understand how I can eat them 4 days a week.
At college when we got out for lunch we always pass a chinese on the way to subways. I usually want to stop for chinese, but get dragged along because subs are 'healthier'.
Whenever he's not in I get the biggest chinese takeout box they sell

When I'm not around he drinks gallons of milk.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes nothing, sometimes ceral or an egg sandwhich.
We often have "fend for yourself" nights, when I don't feel like cooking, or no menu ideas come to mind.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Sometimes nothing, sometimes ceral or an egg sandwhich.
We often have "fend for yourself" nights, when I don't feel like cooking, or no menu ideas come to mind.
Same here, usually something easy and simple.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo!!! When he's gone my stomach is

I eat all the stuff that he doesn't like: Thai, Sushi, Lemon flavor ssomething, and SO MUCH MORE!!! Yes, I contain some control, and I include my "lunches" as time when he's away!

koukou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When hubby is away I have chilli (he hates it) and a good bottle of wine. I also watch Audrey Hepburn films with my grotty pj's on and let the cats sleep on his 1/2 of the bed.

K xx

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't found anything yet that hubby doesn't like so I can't imagine what I would eat if he weren't home.

There are some things he eats that I won't touch though - melted spiced gouda on 7-grain bread (smells awful to me but he says it tastes great); roll-mops (I'll pass on those as well).

I'm quite happy with a fried egg and a couple slices of bread if he's out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I haven't found anything yet that hubby doesn't like so I can't imagine what I would eat if he weren't home.

There are some things he eats that I won't touch though - melted spiced gouda on 7-grain bread (smells awful to me but he says it tastes great); roll-mops (I'll pass on those as well).

I'm quite happy with a fried egg and a couple slices of bread if he's out.
I just looked up what roll-mops were: no wonder you won't eat them!

For those who were clueless like me:
Roll-mops refers to a pickled herring fillet rolled (hence the name) into a cylindrical shape around a piece of pickled cucumber or an onion. The whole thing is held together with one or two small wooden skewers. Rollmops are usually bought ready-to-eat, in jars. The marinade additionally contains water, white vinegar, salt, a bit of sugar or other sweetening agent, onion rings, peppercorns and mustard seeds. Rollmops can be eaten cold, without unrolling, or on bread. After the jar has been opened, rollmops will usually keep for 2-3 weeks if kept cool.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, call me strange, but that sounds like something I'd try once

I know I was completely disgusted by the idea of sashimi until my stepdad took me to THE sushi bar that pretty much all the Boeing mucky-mucks frequented.

YUM.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whether SO is here or not 90% of the time its take out, 10% cereal or breakfast food. I am not a good SO in the meal department and I strive to keep it that way.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
not me per se, but growing up, my mom, my sister and I loved this casserole called chicken divan which my father hated, so everytime he went out of town we made it!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband works offshore, he is gone 7 days at the time, I eat whatever I want to when he is at work.

Sometimes I will cook a little something, I might go out and get me a hamburger or something.

Sometimes I just eat cookies and milk.

It just depends on what I am hungry for at the time.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby is allergic to shrimp, crabmeat, mussels, and lobster, so when he's not around, Jamie and I pig out on such things! I also eat stuff with mayo, like egg salad, deviled eggs, tuna with mayo, or American-style potato salad, as my "better half" doesn't like mayo. Get this: He eats tuna on buttered bread!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dh and I can't usually agree on dinner, so we're usually eating separate things anyway. He's more than welcome to whatever I'm fixing, but I will not fix him a separate dinner, nor will I restrict myself to his tastes because he is too picky. We just got tired of arguing over dinner and came to this agreement.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too eat cereal and 'junky' stuff when he is away, but if he is away for the weekend I will usually cook myself something nice. He will eat pretty much anything so its never a problem of eating something he wont.

When I am away he is allowed to eat all the fish he wants as long as he bleaches the kitchen and does all the dishes that had fish on them before I get home.