Dandruff...

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had dandruff before that I can remember, but all of a sudden, this winter I've had it terribly. It itches, and I'm embarrassed to wear dark clothes because of it. The thing is, I love my hair, I'm almost obsessed with it!

I don't want to use anything to clear up the dandruff that will hurt my hair. My hair is normally dry, and I go to great pains to keep it soft smooth and healthy. I'm afraid these dandruff treatments will dry it out and make it frizzy again!! I can't go on with it anymore though, my head is itching me to death.

I would love to know any of your personal experiences with dandruff treatments. What works? What doesn't? What works and is still good for your hair?

I looked up home-remedies online, and a lot of them mention lemon juice, that doesn't sound good at all for your hair. Another few of them mentioned baby oil, that doesn't seem so bad if it worked, but I wonder if you would ever get it all rinsed out??

I don't know what to do, but I've got to do something or I'm not going to have a scalp left!!
Mom said that the only ones that work are the shampoos with Tar in them...and they are also the ones that stink the worst!

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't have a clue!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had that problem awhile ago and I started using Head & Shoulders- its AWESOME. I stopped using it and switched to something else, but I've switched back, only because its the only shampoo I've found thats kept my hair really soft, I have dry hair too, because of the crappy hard water we have here
. I use the sensitive kind, only because I have sensitive skin, so I just thought I'd use that too. It smells great and leaves my hair silky and shiny!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I had that problem awhile ago and I started using Head & Shoulders- its AWESOME. I stopped using it and switched to something else, but I've switched back, only because its the only shampoo I've found thats kept my hair really soft, I have dry hair too, because of the crappy hard water we have here
. I use the sensitive kind, only because I have sensitive skin, so I just thought I'd use that too. It smells great and leaves my hair silky and shiny!
That is so good to hear!! We have horribly hard water here too, it sure makes it a fight to keep your hair looking healthy!
Head & Shoulders was my first thought (mainly b/c of the commercials
) but I wanted some real life opinions first, ya know? I'm so so glad to hear that it works and keeps your hair soft and shiny!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get really bad dandruff when i was younger due to stress!

So i can give you two tips!

Leave your hair dry, and get a bottle of dandruff stuff, Line your scalp up and massage the shampoo or Nivea face moisturiser into your scalp, do not make dont massage the hair or anything just the scalp (i hope you get what i mean!) then leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse hair!

This way the shampoo doesnt ruin your hair and it conditions your scalp!

i also forgot to mention, please dont wash your hair often with Head and shoulders because its got alot of chemicals in it, and it does make you bald if used long term

I got this from a 5 star hairdresser!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I used to get really bad dandruff when i was younger due to stress!

So i can give you two tips!

Leave your hair dry, and get a bottle of dandruff stuff, Line your scalp up and massage the shampoo or Nivea face moisturiser into your scalp, do not make dont massage the hair or anything just the scalp (i hope you get what i mean!) then leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse hair!

This way the shampoo doesnt ruin your hair and it conditions your scalp!

i also forgot to mention, please dont wash your hair often with Head and shoulders because its got alot of chemicals in it, and it does make you bald if used long term

I got this from a 5 star hairdresser!
Thanks so much for the tips, and I do get what you mean!
I never planned on using the Head & Shoulders everyday once the problem was resolved...but do you think that using it once a week once I get it under control, to keep it that way, will do serious damage in the long run??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have severe psorasis when mine acts up- and go figure- the only place on my body that i really have it is my scalp- haha so it looks like i have dandruff when it acts up. Here's what i use- and i swear to you- i have tried EVERYTHING!!! Everything OTC, home remedies, and prescirptions. I recently found one thing that works incredably well!!!!!!!! Go to the store and pick up Neutrogena T-Sal -----not the t-gel. It is the best thing i've ever used!!!!!! It has completly cleared up my scalp and everything and keeps flare ups from happening!! It removes scalp build up gently- it's safe to use every day, it doesn't smell aweful like that t-gel stuff does, and after the first use you can even start to see a difference! I LOVE it!!!!!! I use it every time i shampoo my hair- then i use whatever conditioner i want. It is for psorasis, dandruff, seborrah, exemia (sp?) and other scalp conditions. It is the best thing i've ever tried. It's about $5-$8 but it's worth every penny!!!!!! Leave it on your scalp a few minutes each time you shampoo- massage it all over your head....then rinse it out after a few minutes- you'll notice a huge difference!

oh yeah- don't waste your money on head & shoulders or selsan blue- that junk doesn't work
i tried all of them.

Here's a link to the Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo to show you what it looks like! It works soooooo well!!!

http://www.shopzilla.com/8N--Neutrog...oid--523978461

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't had a dandruff problem since I was a young girl. But like you, somehow this winter it started up again! Ugh. Really nasty too. I usually use some sort of dandruff shampoo at least once a week, just because my hubby thinks its a good idea and he freaks out about his hair more than I do!!! I like the Head & Shoulders but its a little pricey so we use the Wal*Mart Equate brand which works really well. However, it was doing nothing for this recent attack that I got. Someone also suggested that I use a shampoo with tar in it. I bought the Denorex (I think that's what its called)...and yeah, it does smell strong!!! However, after a few applications it seems to have taken care of the awful problem. About the baby oil...I'll have to add here that I've never tried this before. What length hair do you have? The reason I ask is that I have long hair...almost to my waist...and I read in an article that for those of us with long hair, it is a good thing to apply oil to our hair...any kind of oil will do...baby oil, cooking oil (*gasp*!!!!), coconut oil. Anyway...I've never tried that myself. However, my hubby did rub a little Bag Balm onto one of my dandruff 'patches' and it not only softened it but he was able to rub away all the dandruff quite easily. You might give that a try too.

Good luck with it!

Hilda >^..^<

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Thanks so much for the tips, and I do get what you mean!
I never planned on using the Head & Shoulders everyday once the problem was resolved...but do you think that using it once a week once I get it under control, to keep it that way, will do serious damage in the long run??
If you do it my way, you shouldnt have a problem with it anymore but just keep the bottle incase you need to do it another time!

Since i discovered this method, my hair has been dandruff free for like 4 years now? but i still have a bottle in the bathroom JUST incase!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I have severe psorasis when mine acts up- and go figure- the only place on my body that i really have it is my scalp- haha so it looks like i have dandruff when it acts up. Here's what i use- and i swear to you- i have tried EVERYTHING!!! Everything OTC, home remedies, and prescirptions. I recently found one thing that works incredably well!!!!!!!! Go to the store and pick up Neutrogena T-Sal -----not the t-gel. It is the best thing i've ever used!!!!!! It has completly cleared up my scalp and everything and keeps flare ups from happening!! It removes scalp build up gently- it's safe to use every day, it doesn't smell aweful like that t-gel stuff does, and after the first use you can even start to see a difference! I LOVE it!!!!!! I use it every time i shampoo my hair- then i use whatever conditioner i want. It is for psorasis, dandruff, seborrah, exemia (sp?) and other scalp conditions. It is the best thing i've ever tried. It's about $5-$8 but it's worth every penny!!!!!! Leave it on your scalp a few minutes each time you shampoo- massage it all over your head....then rinse it out after a few minutes- you'll notice a huge difference!

oh yeah- don't waste your money on head & shoulders or selsan blue- that junk doesn't work
i tried all of them.

Here's a link to the Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo to show you what it looks like! It works soooooo well!!!

http://www.shopzilla.com/8N--Neutrog...oid--523978461
Thanks so much, I don't think I've ever seen the T-Sal shampoo here before, but I'll look! My brother used the T-Gel stuff for awhile and good Lord did it stink!!

Originally Posted by babyharley

I've used Head & Shoulders for YEARS... and I'm not bald
Not even close!

Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

I hadn't had a dandruff problem since I was a young girl. But like you, somehow this winter it started up again! Ugh. Really nasty too. I usually use some sort of dandruff shampoo at least once a week, just because my hubby thinks its a good idea and he freaks out about his hair more than I do!!! I like the Head & Shoulders but its a little pricey so we use the Wal*Mart Equate brand which works really well. However, it was doing nothing for this recent attack that I got. Someone also suggested that I use a shampoo with tar in it. I bought the Denorex (I think that's what its called)...and yeah, it does smell strong!!! However, after a few applications it seems to have taken care of the awful problem. About the baby oil...I'll have to add here that I've never tried this before. What length hair do you have? The reason I ask is that I have long hair...almost to my waist...and I read in an article that for those of us with long hair, it is a good thing to apply oil to our hair...any kind of oil will do...baby oil, cooking oil (*gasp*!!!!), coconut oil. Anyway...I've never tried that myself. However, my hubby did rub a little Bag Balm onto one of my dandruff 'patches' and it not only softened it but he was able to rub away all the dandruff quite easily. You might give that a try too.

Good luck with it!

Hilda >^..^<
Thanks for the tips!! My hair is just a little below my shoulders, and thats the length that I usually keep it give or take a little. I thought maybe since my hair was dry the oil might actually be good for it, I could just imagine the mess if I couldn't get it all washed out though!!

Originally Posted by fwan

If you do it my way, you shouldnt have a problem with it anymore but just keep the bottle incase you need to do it another time!

Since i discovered this method, my hair has been dandruff free for like 4 years now? but i still have a bottle in the bathroom JUST incase!
Ah, ok, thanks so much!!

You guys have given me tons of tips!! You are all always so helpful!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck gorgeous!!!! I hope you find something that really helps you!!!! (oh- and the t-sal is odorless!
)

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maddensmom;1543671 said:
Thanks for the tips!! My hair is just a little below my shoulders, and thats the length that I usually keep it give or take a little. I thought maybe since my hair was dry the oil might actually be good for it, I could just imagine the mess if I couldn't get it all washed out though!!

QUOTE]

Yep, the oil is supposed to be really good...keeps it from drying out I guess. I use something called Skinny Serum by Paul Mitchell. I use it after I blow dry (which I HATE to do but I have to in winter). It just softens it up wonderful and smells awesome!

Something funny I remember reading about Shania Twain. She uses the previously mentioned Bag Balm as skin softener on her face (which I've done too and its wonderful!!!) and also...and this is crazy!!!...on her hair!!! I can't fathom trying to wash it out! One day, I will try it!

Hilda >^..^<

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Good luck gorgeous!!!! I hope you find something that really helps you!!!! (oh- and the t-sal is odorless!
)
Thanks so much!! I'm going to look for it later tonight when I go shopping!! I'm so glad to know that its odorless!!
The other stuff made me want to puke!!

Hilda>^..^<;1543689 said:
Originally Posted by maddensmom

QUOTE]

Yep, the oil is supposed to be really good...keeps it from drying out I guess. I use something called Skinny Serum by Paul Mitchell. I use it after I blow dry (which I HATE to do but I have to in winter). It just softens it up wonderful and smells awesome!

Something funny I remember reading about Shania Twain. She uses the previously mentioned Bag Balm as skin softener on her face (which I've done too and its wonderful!!!) and also...and this is crazy!!!...on her hair!!! I can't fathom trying to wash it out! One day, I will try it!

Hilda >^..^<
Bag Balm on her hair?? Wow! I don't think I have the guts to try that one!! Her hair looks great though! My mom uses bag balm on her face too, I used to use it on my legs and feet when I lived at home, but I haven't bought any since I moved out. I'll check out the Skinny Serum too, I'm a hair product junkie!!
I love trying out new products like that!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do what we recommend for cats - take Omega 3 vitamins

Heck if it helps the cats, why not us???

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have dandruff, but not the standard flakey all over your clothing type dandruff.

My scalp is super oily but it itches like mad too. Plus when I scratch my scalp I get "gunk" under my nails that is not just oil. So if it weren't for my oily scalp, there would be skin flakes.

I have used Head and Shoulders and I like it. The Head and Shoulders of today if not the same as it was years ago. It's been improved and is far better for your hair than the older stuff from ages ago. I now use T-Gel which has "tar" in it because it treats not only dandruff but the itch and other scalp conditions.

I wouldn't worry about ruining your hair or going bald by using Head and Shoulders as your regular shampoo.

There is also "Selsen Blue" which I hear is good too.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have dandruff, but not the standard flakey all over your clothing type dandruff.

My scalp is super oily but it itches like mad too. Plus when I scratch my scalp I get "gunk" under my nails that is not just oil. So if it weren't for my oily scalp, there would be skin flakes.

I have used Head and Shoulders and I like it. The Head and Shoulders of today if not the same as it was years ago. It's been improved and is far better for your hair than the older stuff from ages ago. I now use T-Gel which has "tar" in it because it treats not only dandruff but the itch and other scalp conditions.
Natalie, it sounds like you have the same thing as me! I also have acne, so I think it's a combo of oily skin/scalp and maybe some kind of problem with skin cells shedding incorrectly (my theory). Anyway, I also use T-gel. It stinks, but nothing else I've tried has worked, and I have tried everything. Thank goodness I can get away with just using it 3x a week!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That gunky crud is sebum...a mix of oils and dead skin cells/dandruff. If it gets pretty bad, it's known as "cradle cap", which is common in babies.

Head & Shoulders, Selsan Blue, and Paul Mitchell's "Baby Don't Cry" shampoos work well!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thing is about the sebum...or at least what I've read...you're supposed to 'massage' your scalp from time to time to release the sebum to keep your oil glads up there on your scalp healthy and keep them from clogging up. Ugh. So now and then I do just that...when I'm laying in bed at night and can't sleep, I'll massage my entire head...feels great!!! but the next day, I lose alot of hair...which I don't like...but it does help keep my hair soft.

Hilda >^..^<