Good brands of brown rice

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my effort to eat more whole grains I want to switch to using brown rice instead of white rice. The brand I bought-Riceland didn't seem very good-any brands better??? I might have to cook both white and brown and mix them together for a while too to get used to eating it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been buying Uncle Ben's - it does taste a little bit different, but I'm getting used to it.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Uncle Ben's, no question about it. It's got a rougher texture than white, but you do get used to it

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love brown rice so to me it doesnt matter, as you mentioned it i havent seen brown rice around here!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the store brand. Most rice is pretty bland so I usually cook it w/ a decent ammount of salt and a pat of butter. Or, use broth instead of water!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown rice does take some getting used to. It helps if you use a little bit of olive oil or butter and add in some sauteed minced onions and garlic to make it moister.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you their house brand is good and they also have it pre-cooked frozen that you can just microwave.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try basmati brown rice. I don't usually like rice, but this is delicious. If you can't find it at your grocery, try a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern specialty store. "Basmati" is not a brand, but a kind of rice. It is long-grain and very yummy - and this is from someone who doesn't even LIKE rice!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like Uncle Ben's Brown rice a lot as well....
They also have an excellent Long Grain/Wild rice that is delicious!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Try basmati brown rice...
Definitely!

I'd check the ingredients on the Uncle Ben's rice. They use hydrogenated oils.

You probably know this, but just in case... brown rice takes twice the time to cook, so if you make both, cook them separately. You eventually start liking the nutty, chewy texture.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I am the only one buying rice at the health food store??? I will type the name whan I am home

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got up and got the package because I couldn't remember the brand name, but I've been using Mahatma Brown Rice. I love the texture and flavor of brown rice. I grew up eating a lot of white rice (my stepfater's parents are from Puerto Rico so we ate a lot of their traditional foods) but even my mother is now using brown rice in dishes, or a mixture. I used to be afraid to cook rice, but it's been a piece of cake!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of brown rice, may I recommend Basmathi rice? It has the least amount of carbohydrates and expands to twice the amount of long grain rice!!! It tastes great too!!! Specially recommended for those who are diabetic.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mmmmmm basmati rice. I don't buy a brand as such, just whatever they have in our local shop. Unless you're looking at processed 'easy cook' brands of rice, there's hardly any difference between bags of rice of the same type (by type I mean short grain, long grain, arborio, basmati, red carmargue etc), despite the brand name on the packet.

Of course with any unprocessed rice, you need to rinse it thoroughly and remove any small stones or grit before cooking, and it will need cooking for longer than processed easy-cook rice brands like Uncle Bens.

Wish I could get Nate to eat rice, I love it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy basmati rice but I'll have to look for basmati brown rice. We have a large asian population locally and there is lots of rice in stores-I might have to check out the asian food stores though too see if they carry anything differently.
I stir fried last night and used the white basmati rice.