Hair dyes

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering how many of you dye your own hair and what you use to do it. And any other details you'd like to include.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to once or twice, turned out horrid! It never turned out how I wanted it. So now I go to my lady I've gone to for about 10 years to color it for me, for cheap!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dye my own hair. Currently it is Almond Bliss by Herbal Essences (I think that is the right brand). Normally it is just highlighted, Lee pulls my hair through the cap and I put the dye on it. But this winter I decided to go back brown. I like it. I wouldn't stray more than a couple of shades away from your natural color with talking to your stylist.

koukou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I colour my own hair. I used to do it just for a colour change but now it's to hide the dreaded greys. I use Casting and I think the colour is darkest brown. Over the years I have been all colours, red, purple, black, blonde. Now I'm just grateful for the natural look.

K xx

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have coloured my hair a million times. I took a cosmetology course a couple years ago and used to do it a different colour every week or two. My hair has been every colour..blonde, black, so many shades of brown, lots of different shades of red, burgundy, purple, pink (which turned into pink highlights), brown with blonde highlights, brown with red highlights....etc. One time it was even blue (not for long though). Right now it is just brown though because I don't have anyone to colour it for me anymore. I let my boyfriend do it once and it was a big mess.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Herbal Essence as well.. it's one of the lightest blonde shades, I don't remember the name of it.

My mum does it for me, has for the past 4 or 5 years.

My hair has been pink, red, burgandy, orange, 'puke orange' (according to my sister), strawberry blonde, and now it's been blonde for the past 2 years. I was thinking about going darker, but I think I like the blonde too much

I have also put in 2 of the Temporary dyes.. I don't remember the brand.. I think it was called Pulse or something. Anyway.. taht went overtop of my blonde.. it was purple both times.. but now I think I might try red.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done alot of home dying, highlighting and bleaching. I saw a commercial for a "natural" looking hair dye that I was thinking of trying. I want comething that won't show my root too bad (I have medium/dark brown hair). In the past I've always gone dark mahogany red or a slightly lighter than my natural brown. I guess what I'd really like to do is dye it all as close to my natural color as I can w/ some nice natural looking highlights. But I hate highlighting caps almost as much as I hate the combs that you use w/out the cap. When I've tried those the color ended up clumpy.

I tried black once and it didn't fit me so in the course of a week my hair went from brown to black to orange/blonde back to brown. I'll never go black again!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Permanent dyes lighten the hair the first half of the processing time, then deposit the color the second half.

So, if your hair is colored, and you only want to touch up the roots, put the color on the roots only, and half-way through the processing time, use the rest of the color in the bowl and pull it through the length of your hair to refresh that color.

If you ever see a good professional colorist working, you will see this is how it is done in good salons.

If you keep putting the entire color on your entire head every time, the ends of your hair will be eventually so damaged that they can't hold the color any more and the hair breaks, looks ragged and faded.

If you want a change, I suggest a temporary or even semi-permanent color. The latter do a little bit of damage but not as much as permanent color.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that helps immensily. It might also explain why my tips are always much lighter than my roots even immidately after coloring.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dye my hair currently it is a faded red color fromgarnia frutice (sorry for spelling) i forgot what its called, darnit
its been a while since i dyed it tho i think i dyed it before christmas but that wasnt that long, i am thinking of going brown but idk, I am a natural blonde so of course i like to dye my hair, although I used to dye my hair many many colors i probably have had every hair color there is
i want to dye my hair now, hmm this calls for a trip to the store, i just dont know what color i want i am too choosy and picky i will stand in the hair dye isle for every looking and comparing each brand and colors

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of dying my hair back to its natural color.

For years I did all shades of red. Dark red, Strawberry blonde, etc. Red did suit me, but I'm tired of maintaining it.

Right now I'm using L'Oreal Natural Match.

Also, despite the box saying to dampen your hair, I never do. I just dye it straight out of the box. The color will absorb more into the hair so that it lasts longer.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amanda, I could spend hours looking at hair dyes in the store. Thats why I'm looking for others opinions and experiences. Maybe it can help me narrow my choices!

Jenny, how do you like the natural match? And is it really that easy to match to your color?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you people read my mind! I was going to post a question today about dying hair. I use Feria. So far it is the only one that actually colors my hair instead of turning it black all the time.

I have some questions for those who dye their own hair & have long hair.
How many boxes do you use? What steps do you take in applying it?

I have a hard time doing my own hair. I used to use 4 boxes but I think I can get away with 3 this time. I never know where to start. I usually pull the top of my hair in two buns and start with mid scalp to the back of the neck. I went to a hair dresser before and she even didn't know where to start. I just have so much hair. It's thick and curly too.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been coloring my own, for over 30 years. Its always some shade of blonde or red (I'm naturally a dark ash blond). The best brand for me is L'Oreal Excellence or Preference. I buy whichever one is on sale or I have a coupon for.

Nice 'n Easy, Clairol, Revlon and Garnier all faded or went brassy on me. Lately, I've been letting the gray at my temples stay, as it doesn't look TOO bad.

As for the long, thick hair issue: when mine was down to the middle of my back, I used 2 boxes. I parted my hair into 2 pigtails and used one box for each side.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

...Maybe it can help me narrow my choices!..
Buy the most expensive, it's worth it.

Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

... I never know where to start. I usually pull the top of my hair in two buns and start with mid scalp to the back of the neck. I went to a hair dresser before and she even didn't know where to start. I just have so much hair. It's thick and curly too.
You need a plastic rattail comb. http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/ratcomrelpic.html

Start at the top, at the part if you have one. Apply the color only on the roots. Using the point of the comb, make another part about an inch from the preious, color the roots. Keep on, doing the crown first. Just flip the long, thin sections of hair over the colored ones, and keep going. For the sides and back, do horizontal parts. You can use a plastic clip to keep the colored hair out of the way (no metal). Don't add the hair dye to the rest of the hair until the last ten minutes or so.

I posted some other stuff in this thread, too, that might be helpful.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to ask... why no metal? I assume it'll react with the dye but I've always used metal clips and never seen anything funny... of course, I have dark hair too.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to an Aveda salon (for at least 10 yrs)and my stylist is the salon's colorist.
I let him chose what works best for my current color and skin tone. I have high lites and lo lites too. But its time for a touch up-I might forgo the lo lites as I am so "pasty white" in the winter it doesn't do much for me.
My twin colors her hair more "blonde" and he gave her suggestions as to what colors to use (she does it herself) that would look better on her. But if I want to go more blond I already know what it would look like!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have graying brown hair, & i don't like the dulling effect the gray/silver has on the brown. i like the gray/silver alone tho, so when it's finished, i'll go back to natural. but for now, i use a pale blonde demi-permanent. changes the gray/silver to blonde, leaves the brown, brown.
i like this one: Natural Instincts Sahara it's the first one on the left.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used some lighter blonde shades of Clairol's Natural Instincts...it's really gentle, and the conditioner smells great! I'm a natural medium blonde, but I like to lighten up now and again.