Is this the norm for English flats??

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mum has a 3 bedroom in London (and it looks a lot nicer than that and is way bigger than my place) for about that.

If you look at the location, it is beside a major park IN central London close to Buckingham Palace and all major tourist stuff, it would be like buying a place overlooking Times Sq NY AND the Statue of Liberty

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

If you look at the location, it is beside a major park IN central London close to Buckingham Palace and all major tourist stuff, it would be like buying a place overlooking Times Sq NY AND the Statue of Liberty
blah no thanks, not even enough room for a cat box,
by they way i love your avatar

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, but London is very expensive when it comes to property but people do actually sell really small flats for a fortune.

My friend works for the Ministry of Defense and is based down in London in a one bedroom apartment and the rent alone is about £800 per month, so that'll be well over $1000

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

No, but London is very expensive when it comes to property but people do actually sell really small flats for a fortune.
not just london, i was look at a train tour of England & scotland and it was 9,500 us dollars per person for 7 days
must do more research into tours there.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

not just london, i was look at a train tour of England & scotland and it was 9,500 us dollars per person for 7 days
must do more research into tours there.
It would be cheaper getting a flight only and booking the trains when your over here

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could definitely find that a lot cheaper, but I too would recommend flying to England and doing the rest yourself, some of the tourism companies are way over priced and the tours are generally crowded and very time orientated. I like to be able to change my plans and stay an extra hour somewhere if I want to.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My friend works for the Ministry of Defense and is based down in London in a one bedroom apartment and the rent alone is about £800 per month, so that'll be well over $1000
I pay $900 for renting a 2 bedroom duplex in Philly, and trust me, my duplex is pretty small....I am just lucky enough to have a giant unfinished basement for storage & laundry...

(that area of London is awesome....I've stayed across from Hyde Park, 1 block away from Prince Albert Hall....it's a glorious section on town.)

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It would be cheaper getting a flight only and booking the trains when your over here
and the "underground" is pretty easy too....I was able to find my way around as a teenager!
I can remember feeling so "hip & cool" like "wow, I'm taking the underground in London!!!"

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is why that particular one made it to the national news! Last year I sold one London flat (in Putney, a very nice residential area about 20 minutes by underground train from the centre) with two large bedrooms and landscaped garden for £330,00 ($600,000) and bought another slightly closer to the centre but smaller rooms and no garden, for £203,000 (£360,000).

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
London is the most expensive pace to live in England, but that's nuts.

I lives in Belfast for a while in a flat that the lounge was also the bedroom it had a hotplate to cook on and a bath of course. it ran about 800 pounds per month, which was cheep

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just london - it's soooo expensive, and this is all about location, Knightsbridge is a VERY posh area.

My 2.5 bed house cost just a little less than this!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was an article in the WSJ about housing costs-I knew it was expensive!! It talked about the SW1 postal code.
One of my nieces and her husband rented a 1 bedroom apt in downtown Chicago and paid a pretty penny for that small apt-its has to do with where you want to live

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has a lot to do with the fact that the SW1 postal code doesn't actually have a lot of accommodation also, as well as the increased costs of living there (city taxes for policing (high in a tourist / business / politics centre) and the $5 a day to drive in that you won't have to pay if you live inside the central district)
But even the suburbs of London are not that long of a journey into the city. It takes me about half an hour by public bus from my mum's place to central London, and it is so much cheaper to live out there.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

One of my nieces and her husband rented a 1 bedroom apt in downtown Chicago and paid a pretty penny for that small apt-its has to do with where you want to live
I pay $800/month (heat included, nothing else, though) for a studio with no A/C, no dishwasher or garbage disposal, no modern ventilation system or thermostat (that free heat is from old steam radiators that sound like a chain gang is working in here) and $2/wash $2/dry laundry in the basement. Oh, and my view is of...an alley and another building.

BUT, I'm about 30 seconds walk from Clark St. (has everything) and 2 major bus routes that go downtown, 6 or 7 minutes from the El, 6 or 7 minutes from school. I'm also a 5 minute walk from the zoo and Lincoln Park and 10 minute walk from the beach.

Ian, on the other hand, lives in Andersonville which is about 8 miles from downtown as the crow flies. There's only one train line and one major bus line up there, and only one "main drag" (but it's an awesome main drag, IMO). His apartment is $1000/month for a 1bath/2 bed +study with a dishwasher and central heat and air. It's also 2 stories and has a working fireplace and free cable. He has free laundry and his building has a backyard with a communal garden (and as a result, tons of ferals that I caretake and TNR
). The onyl big difference is location (that and his landlord lives in Seattle, so isn't exactly Johnny-on-the-spot with repairs)

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is....as long as you postcode in London has a W infront of it, prices start at 250,000 sterling....!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thats insanely expensive!

For that much money here, I could buy a 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 3 car garage house!