Holy dooley!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just ordered my textbooks for my next semester of university - $245!!!! And that's only for 2 subjects.....

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I just ordered my textbooks for my next semester of university - $245!!!! And that's only for 2 subjects.....
Thats alot of money!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tell me about it!!!! And I work full time, I can only imagine how much it'd cost for students working part-time or not at all AND having to pay for 4 subjects worth of books!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i vote for stealing oh wait i mean, if you around i am sure you can find one just sitting around campus some place. AFter you get done with it, you can turn into the lost and found.

Just kidding. Text books for schools are a rip off. always thought that.
i wonder if they will change the same amount once they all become ebooks

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Books are very high, My grandson just started Collage and wow was all I had to say other then I'm glad I didn't have to buy them new ones, even used there quit high

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So were they math books? For some strange reason they were always higher than the other subjects. I'll say that's one thing I don't miss about college though...shelling out all that cash for text books. Thankfully the scholarship I had gave me a book allowance. Even with that though I ended up paying a lot out of pocket.

Sorry your pocketbook took such a hit Sarah. Just keep telling yourself, "I can sell them back, I can sell them back."

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a lot of money, I remember when DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e was in college, they were quite high then too, and that has been about 5 years ago. She never sold hers back though, she just kept them.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally feel your pain! When I was full time at Purdue, on semester my books were nearly $800! And I couldn't sell some of them back!

You could always check half.com or amazon.com and see if you could get the books cheaper. *shrug*

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ZOINKS!!! my company has tuition reimbursement, but we have to pay for our own books and that is what has been holding me back from going, I can't afford almost $250 for a couple books!! then when you sell them back you don't even get 50% of the purchase price!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Books are really expensive. Just be glad you are't taking a metal shop class or something. My friend is taking metal shop and he had to buy books AND tools. The tools are pretty expensive. Luckily Lee had some he lent to my friend since Lee can't really use them right now.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Sorry your pocketbook took such a hit Sarah. Just keep telling yourself, "I can sell them back, I can sell them back."
Unfortunately, when you sell them back, you don't get crap!

When I was in school, I spent about... $500 a semester on books (taking 19 credits per semester for 2 years) and whenever I would sell them back at the end of the semester, I would be lucky to get $20-$40 back!

Hope you get more back than I did!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Unfortunately, when you sell them back, you don't get crap!

When I was in school, I spent about... $500 a semester on books (taking 19 credits per semester for 2 years) and whenever I would sell them back at the end of the semester, I would be lucky to get $20-$40 back!

Hope you get more back than I did!
Holy shamoley Kenz!! I'm taking 12 credits per semester....I spent a lot less this semester as my macro & micro book is the same. It was like $230 total...minus my $110 book buyback(pretty nice!)! Last semester, though, it cost me almost $250 for my accounting book alone!

Business books are the most expensive books to buy at my college! I just happen to be a business major!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First quarter of my freshman year the total was $687, and that's for music textbooks. Also keep in mind that I was paying several thousand to go to school, after a massive scholarship. It costs well over $30,000 (without scholarships or aid) a year where I go to school...absolutely ridiculous.

Since then, it's been falling somewhere between $100-300 per quarter, as a full-time music student (and keep in mind that the upper-level music classes tend to use scores, not testbooks anymore). Last quarter, my chemistry book ALONE cost $125, and it was USED!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm lucky in that doing university through Australia, I can put all of my actual class fees on HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme), and I pay nothing up front. And it's not like a college loan either - it's a government thing. So I don't start paying it back until I earn over a certain amount in Australia, and then a certain percentage is taken out of my pre-tax pay.

And then, if you never earn over whatever it is (I think it's about $35,000), then you never have to pay it back. It's an awesome system.

So textbooks are all I really need to pay for... But it does amaze me how much they charge. I mean, I can't imagine that anyone apart from those taking that class will ever want these books. And because they're Australian classes/textbooks, they're impossible to buy here in the US, and I have to pay overseas shipping charges as well! I'll probably keep all of mine as well, for the amount you get back, I might as well keep them as reference books. Who knows when I'll want to refer back to something.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Holy shamoley Kenz!! I'm taking 12 credits per semester....I spent a lot less this semester as my macro & micro book is the same. It was like $230 total...minus my $110 book buyback(pretty nice!)! Last semester, though, it cost me almost $250 for my accounting book alone!

Business books are the most expensive books to buy at my college! I just happen to be a business major!
Oh I feel your pain, all my business books were expensive too, luckily like you, I used my mico/macro book for both semesters for the class.
Have you taken Biology yet? UGH, that book is SPENDY... just about as bad as that darn Accounting one!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh! No! I am horrible at biology & have been putting off taking it until my last semester.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ugh! No! I am horrible at biology & have been putting off taking it until my last semester.
I didn't do so well in that class, but my prof was awesome, but I do believe its not the same prof anymore