TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › limping kitten --> help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

limping kitten --> help!

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
hi there

i've got a 9 month old kitten, which i've had with my partner for 4 months now. we picked her up from an animal rescue facility, and almost immediately she was sick and had to be placed on antibiotics, as she was quite visibly overtired and had an ulcer in her mouth. we had a test done and it was confirmed that she has feline leukemia.

neither of us have ever had a cat before, and to tell you the truth, i'm not sure what type she is....other than that her fur is a mix of black and white, and not really long, nor really short.

she has since been fine, stays indoors out of the cold and has generally been a quite happy and energetic kitten. she was recently (i.e. 5 days ago) given a rabies vaccine as well as an upper respiratory vaccine, the latter i was told was necessary should she ever be in contact with other cats.

just today we have noticed that she is limping with her back left leg. we have no idea why, but we have checked her paw thoroughly (we think) and haven't noticed any reason from that standpoint as to why she might be limping. she is still playful when she is laying down and will walk around the house no problem, but again, with a visible limp.

as two students, we can't afford to repeatedly take her to the vet, so we were wondering if anyone had any advice. i realize a trip to the vet might eventually be necessary, but as for now we have decided to keep an eye on her and let her rest, while monitoring her for any changes. any advice would be very greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

josh.
post #2 of 14
Are they treating her for her leukemia?
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
she's not on any medications for the leukemia, simply not an option for us given the cost (unfortunately).
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensl View Post
she's not on any medications for the leukemia, simply not an option for us given the cost (unfortunately).

I understand about the cost, we had a cat that had that, we did try to treat though, but it didn't work.

You might need to take the kitten to the vet to see if the leukemia is advancing some. I do not know how long it takes for it to become worse.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
yeah, i've read that it varies widely, so it's possible. some cats might be ok for the majority of their lives, others not quite so lucky.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensl View Post
yeah, i've read that it varies widely, so it's possible. some cats might be ok for the majority of their lives, others not quite so lucky.
That is some of my understanding too

I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

What is her name anyways?
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSULOVER View Post
That is some of my understanding too

I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

What is her name anyways?
her name is lola...
post #8 of 14
Oh heck - I dont have any answers for you as I have not experienced cat leukemia
So I am wishing you healthy positive ((((( vibes ))))) for Little lola, hopefully someone with some knowledge will come along soon with some answers for you
post #9 of 14
You say she had shots about 5 days ago? Did she receive one of her shots in that leg perhaps? If yes than it could be a reaction to the shot. They may have given her the shot in a muscle.

Prayers and vibes for sweet Lola!
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snosrap5 View Post
You say she had shots about 5 days ago? Did she receive one of her shots in that leg perhaps? If yes than it could be a reaction to the shot. They may have given her the shot in a muscle.

Prayers and vibes for sweet Lola!
oh good thought... you know, i'm not sure. i asked, and they said in the back for the rabies shot, but i couldn't stay in the room because i'm a fainter. perhaps i'll call them about that.... thanks!
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snosrap5 View Post
You say she had shots about 5 days ago? Did she receive one of her shots in that leg perhaps? If yes than it could be a reaction to the shot. They may have given her the shot in a muscle.

Prayers and vibes for sweet Lola!
Actually, that was my first thought as well as I also noticed the mention of kitty receiving her vaccinations.
post #12 of 14
can you touch the leg???
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensl View Post
oh good thought... you know, i'm not sure. i asked, and they said in the back for the rabies shot, but i couldn't stay in the room because i'm a fainter. perhaps i'll call them about that.... thanks!
At least one of my crew will have a slight limp a few days after shots. I hate it because it means they bruised the muscle. It wouldn't hurt to massage the leg in the thigh area and try to work out the soreness.

Also do call the vet. They are to document which vaccine went into which area on the cat so they should have a record of it.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
ok thank you very much everyone.... she will let me touch her leg, and it seems that it's not the paw, because she doesn't seem to mind me looking at her paw....which leads me to believe that it is probably bruising then... i will give the vet a call..... thanks again! lola thanks you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › limping kitten --> help!