Allergies or something else?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm turning to the more experience members of TCS here...the past few days I have been short of breath, especially when I go outside. It feels like I can't take a full breath - not pressure, just like my lungs won't go. I think as a result of that I'm feeling sort of light-headed, or like my head is floating or something. Its mild enough that I'm having a hard time describing what it feels like - not terribly bad, just odd. I'm tired a lot too, but that could just be me.

I've got a steroid inhaler for asthma-mimicking allergy symptoms as well as a rescue inhaler, but its going to take about a week or two for the steroids to kick in, so I just want to see if anyone thinks I should make my way to a doctor now, or if its just my allergies acting up more than usual.

Ordinarily its just a short of breath thing, not feeling like I just ran a mile and can't catch my breath. My chest hurts from trying to breathe.
Whoever heard of being allergic in the wintertime! According to weather.com, there's not even any pollen in the air!
So what do you guys think?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

So I'm turning to the more experience members of TCS here...the past few days I have been short of breath, especially when I go outside. It feels like I can't take a full breath - not pressure, just like my lungs won't go. I think as a result of that I'm feeling sort of light-headed, or like my head is floating or something. Its mild enough that I'm having a hard time describing what it feels like - not terribly bad, just odd. I'm tired a lot too, but that could just be me.

I've got a steroid inhaler for asthma-mimicking allergy symptoms as well as a rescue inhaler, but its going to take about a week or two for the steroids to kick in, so I just want to see if anyone thinks I should make my way to a doctor now, or if its just my allergies acting up more than usual.

Ordinarily its just a short of breath thing, not feeling like I just ran a mile and can't catch my breath. My chest hurts from trying to breathe.
Whoever heard of being allergic in the wintertime! According to weather.com, there's not even any pollen in the air!
So what do you guys think?
I dont know what to say other then I hope you start feeling better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.
Its been mostly better today, but with a 10+ minute walk from my car to work and then around campus for classes, not being able to breathe sure is a pain!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you been diagnosed with asthma, or just allergies? My allergies act up in the winter, but it is to dust and cats.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a bout of Bronchitis a week or two back so my breathing was terrible I couldn't take a breath without caughing up a lung. I would see a doctor if you have the chance it could be a respitory infection or somthing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Have you been diagnosed with asthma, or just allergies? My allergies act up in the winter, but it is to dust and cats.
Well, the doctor calls it "asthma like allergy symptoms". So I have an inhaler and such, but I don't know if I'd officially call it asthma. I don't have the wheezing when I breathe, and no coughing. It just feels like I can't take a full breath in.

I've wondered about it being a virus, but I'm not coughing and it doesn't feel like there's junk in my lungs, so short of telling me to get some rest, I'm not sure if there's much a doctor could do for me - hence why I'm hesistant to go and pay money for a blood test/chest x-ray if its not going to do anything for me other than let me know I've got something that will go away on its on. lol Wow, I sound really cynical about doctors, huh? Does that make sense to anyone else but me?