Changing cat home made diet, feedback.

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might get a bit complicated if you don't make your own cat food so sorry If I bore you, lol. anyways, my two boys have been on the same diet for over a year now and I've been thinking I should mix things up. Feedback from others who make food like me would be great. Basically upping the fat and lowering the protein.

Current Diet (month supply):

Chicken Breast 20lbs
+
48 omega-3 Egg yolks

Prepared per 12oz (6oz each cat)

460cal
11.6g fat: 1.82g omega-6 (1.562g linoleic + .257g arachidonic) .533g omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid .400g + .133g other omega-3 ) ratio: 3.4(O-6):1(O-3)

82g protein
768mg phosphorus
70mg calcium

77% Protein, 23% fat.

-----------

Proposed new Diet Difference:

Chicken Thigh 20lbs instead of breast. As prepared reduced to 11oz (5.5oz per cat) in order to maintain calorie amount.

Result:

460cal
19.5g fat 3.7g omega-6 (3.3g linoleic + .400g arachidonic) .706g omega-3 (.455g alpha-linolenic acid + .251g other omega-3) ratio 5.2:1

65g protein
19.5g fat
626mg phosphorus
67mg calcium

62% Protein, 38% Fat

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
chicken theigh is actually better since you arent using organ meats ... Are you using a taurine supplement?>?? you should be ....

what general viatimin and mineral supplement are you using ???

You should have some veggie or organ or evan gasp a grain in this mix to ensure all nutrients are at a good leval

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

chicken theigh is actually better since you arent using organ meats ... Are you using a taurine supplement?>?? you should be ....

what general viatimin and mineral supplement are you using ???

You should have some veggie or organ or evan gasp a grain in this mix to ensure all nutrients are at a good leval
The food you're making seems to be really deficient. For example, your calcium/phosphorus ratio seems really off to me, but I can't seem to find what it *should* be right now.

I mostly agree with Sharky, except on the veggie/grain aspect. It is possible to balance a feline raw diet without these components, it's just more difficult. At the very least you SHOULD be including organ meats.

If you're not using veggies, the proportions should be like this:
5-10% ~ organ meat, with half that amount being liver

10-15% ~ edible bone

80% + ~ muscle meat, fat, skin, connective tissue, etc.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

The food you're making seems to be really deficient. For example, your calcium/phosphorus ratio seems really off to me, but I can't seem to find what it *should* be right now.

I mostly agree with Sharky, except on the veggie/grain aspect. It is possible to balance a feline raw diet without these components, it's just more difficult. At the very least you SHOULD be including organ meats.

If you're not using veggies, the proportions should be like this:
5-10% ~ organ meat, with half that amount being liver

10-15% ~ edible bone

80% + ~ muscle meat, fat, skin, connective tissue, etc.
Thank you Vanilla ... As you know I make this diet for a 18 yr old with kindey issues and a 9yr old allergy dog so my vet gave me a different ratio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oops, I forgot to add I use Wysong Call of Wild thats why I don't use organ meat and I keep cal:phos about 1.6:1.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol well that's an important thing to leave out

Call of the Wild is an excellent suppliment, if you're using that, then you should have the bases covered.

I assume you're using bone-in meats with skin, not boneless skinless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no bone, but I do use edible bone meal powder. so do you guys think I should go with the new diet that has more fat but less protein? I know cats can handle and need high protein, im just worried 77% protein is a little too high even for cats, in the long term.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bone meal is highly cooked and processed thus my thought is it is not a great substitute...