is my cat pregnant?

oweerak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I am new here, firs post. I am wondering if my cat could be pregant, I am a breeder but a new breeder.
She is eating a lot, but tummy does not seem to have starting expanding.
She looks a little pink and her tummy around her nipples seems lumpy, can she be pregant?

Thanks

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by oweerak

Hello,
I am new here, firs post. I am wondering if my cat could be pregant, I am a breeder but a new breeder.
She is eating a lot, but tummy does not seem to have starting expanding.
She looks a little pink and her tummy around her nipples seems lumpy, can she be pregant?

Thanks
Oweerak...welcome to TCS...as a breeder, I would really recommend that you go and introduce yourself on the Breeders Forum:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

The breeders on that forum are very familiar with their breeds and can assist you with any questions that you have with being a first time breeder.

The best way to know if your girl is pregnant is to take her to your vet.

Katie

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I replied the post and it disappeared???

Anyway, Welcome to TCS!!

Do you know the date of mating? You can usually tell if the mating has taken 3 weeks after the mating and pinking nipples is a good sign. At 3-4 weeks, a vet can usually palpate the belly and confirm the pregnancy.

Check you pms later, I'll be sending you one!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oweerak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfort, I am unsure of the breeding, I had her running with my boy just so they could get to know one another-and I examined her and she looks a little pink and her tummy is lumpy around where she is a little pink-

Thanks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wait, are you talking about your 7 month old girl and boy? she could very well be prego, why would you let her and the boy run together when they are both mature? 7 months is MUCH too young to be a mother

oweerak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no they are over 1 year

oweerak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
why would you think they were 7 months?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some persians can weigh less, your cat seems cobby, which is very desireable and if they are cobby they tend to sometimes weigh less. I have a girl that is 7 months old and feels super heavy when you pick her up and she is very short and weighs just 6lbs and then I have another boy, who just turned 7 months, a large boy , at 9.5 lbs and he is huge-if he feels heavy and thin when you pick him up, he is probably fine, and if he is eating well.

this is why they thought that your cats were 7 months old.
do you have another 2 cats who are older then?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

no they are over 1 year
oweerak...it is a very easy mistake to make here when there are no specifics that are given regarding your cat. I'm glad that you waited until your cat was over a year of age.

Katie

oweerak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh, I am a breeder of Persians so I have more than 2-those that I posted about in the breeder section on still kittens-the ones I am referring to are older of breeding age-
And you are right 7 months is too young-I can only find one reason to do so and only breeders will probably know what I am talking about but if a female constantly keeps cycling she will or can get Pyrometria, a very bad disease, causing death or spaying if lucky which comes from cycling so much without being bred.
But my cats tend to start cycling later and I like to wait until at least 1 year of age. But I have had only one litter so far-and the mother was over 2 before those babies were born.
I was just wondering since I have only observed one of my girls pregnant before if this girl could be. My other girl was a solid white so it was easy to tell.
thanks for all the comments and had to make a comment about this.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

oh, I am a breeder of Persians so I have more than 2-those that I posted about in the breeder section on still kittens-the ones I am referring to are older of breeding age-
And you are right 7 months is too young-I can only find one reason to do so and only breeders will probably know what I am talking about but if a female constantly keeps cycling she will or can get Pyrometria, a very bad disease, causing death or spaying if lucky which comes from cycling so much without being bred.
But my cats tend to start cycling later and I like to wait until at least 1 year of age. But I have had only one litter so far-and the mother was over 2 before those babies were born.
I was just wondering since I have only observed one of my girls pregnant before if this girl could be. My other girl was a solid white so it was easy to tell.
thanks for all the comments and had to make a comment about this.
Oweerak..well it's good that you are being careful. I noticed you haven't yet introduced yourself on the breeder's forum. There are several persian breeders who can help you with any questions you may have and I know that Abymummy has agreed to be your buddy. Let us know if you do determine that your girl is pregnant.

Katie