Well, it seems Ferris is having a little problem...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and I'm going to have to take him to the vet for some tests.

He's been having soft, watery stools for a while, since about the time I introduced the flower essences to his diet, so I'd attributed the change in stool consistancy to that.

But this Saturday past he pooped all down his leg - which I thought was just from the American cheese he'd snacked on the night before - and although it hasn't been THAT loose since Saturday, it is getting smellier.

I took out my handy-dandy Cat Owners Veterinary Handbook and looked up the list: Color, consistancy, odor and frequency, and what adds up based upon that list is a possible malabsorbtion syndrome, which would explain why he's so lanky yet eats like a tiny horse.

I hope I'm wrong, but regardless, it looks like a diet issue. Which is going to be REALLY tough (although not as tough as it would be if I had more cats.) I can't completely separate the two unless I cage one, as my apartment layout doesn't allow for that, and I'm not going to cage anyone.

I can stop free feeding and take up food off the floor, but that will leave both kits going hungry from 7:30 a.m. until at least 6:00 p.m. every day, and some days they wouldn't get fed for more than 15 hours, when I'm unable to go right home between jobs.

This really concerns me - I don't quite know what I'm going to do. But I guess I can't do much until Ferris gets tested. Taking him to the vet is going to set us back again, but I need my boy to be healthy.

Can my kitties go 9-15 hours without eating? Won't that be bad for them? Poor babies - I can't let them go hungry! What shall I do about this?

And what would Ferris do if he doesn't get to eat his treats in the mornings!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
have you given probiotics to Ferris ... this can work wonders without major diet change ... the most readily avail and easy to give is bene bac

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lots of vibes that everything can be worked out! I have no idea about the feeding, i free feed, but I hope little Ferris is ok

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With poopiing problems I have used apple pectin to firm them up. It is natural, does no harm and may make him a little more comfortable. Have you tried some yogurt to settle his system?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

have you given probiotics to Ferris ... this can work wonders without major diet change ... the most readily avail and easy to give is bene bac
I have absolutely zero clue about probiotics - any info links you can share? Where would I buy this stuff and how would I give it to him?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the probiotic suggestion as I started Jaffa on one about a month ago for soft poos and it's worked great. I use lacto b but I dont know whether you can get that or whether it's just a UK thing.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

I can stop free feeding and take up food off the floor, but that will leave both kits going hungry from 7:30 a.m. until at least 6:00 p.m. every day, and some days they wouldn't get fed for more than 15 hours, when I'm unable to go right home between jobs.
Can you leave some food in automatic feeders so that they can both have something during the day, esp when you're gone for 15 hours?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Can you leave some food in automatic feeders so that they can both have something during the day, esp when you're gone for 15 hours?
Do they work well? I know they are expensive, but if they work for people then I'd definitely give that a shot - I don't want by babies to have to go hungry - and I made a promise to Ferris that he would never, EVER have to be hungry again!

When I first got him, he gobbled his food like he was afraid it was the only thing he'd get for a week - now he eats smaller quantities more frequently and no longer gobbles.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betsy I hope you get this worked out for poor Ferris, he trusts you will feed him that's why he doesn't gobble anymore, so I can see your trepidation about the feedings.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the bene bac has easy instuctions ... 1 grams per 10lbs per day I think ... the tubes are one tube a day for three days .... I put it on the food... i think it has a slightly sweet taste/.

If you get human just one capsule opened on food per day should work...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

the bene bac has easy instuctions ... 1 grams per 10lbs per day I think ... the tubes are one tube a day for three days .... I put it on the food... i think it has a slightly sweet taste/.

If you get human just one capsule opened on food per day should work...
Sorry for so many questions, but I appreciate the help - how long do I give it to him for, just until I see improvement in stool consistancy? Obviously, if there is no improvement after a reasonable period of time, it is vet visit time.

I just looked at auto feeders, and I really don't like that they are plastic - both my babies have white chins, and Ginger has had feline acne before.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the bene bac says exactly... I use human for on going and the girls get it about 4 times a week ... I think my vet told me a half to a whole capsule...lol.. holistic medicine is a bit odd with lack of doseing

there is a stnailess auto feeder designed for a dog but the two liter bottle would likely allow for cat food to flow..

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

the bene bac says exactly... I use human for on going and the girls get it about 4 times a week ... I think my vet told me a half to a whole capsule...lol.. holistic medicine is a bit odd with lack of doseing

there is a stnailess auto feeder designed for a dog but the two liter bottle would likely allow for cat food to flow..
Well, I just placed an order for two tubes of the bene bac, and we'll give it a try and see how it goes! Thank you again so much for the helpful info!

Other than the soft stool, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ferris, at least that I can tell. Hopefully, this will help! I have personally taken "good" bacteria tablets for humans, can't recall the name, but it begins with an "a" and it helped to prevent yeast infections when I was on antibiotics, so it totally makes sense to me to give this a try - it might be as simple as IBS.

I'm also ordering the Dr Fosters chicken strips treats and the yoghurt crossy's - I figure a reduction in fat and fiber ought to help him out a bit, too.

He did have an almost formed stool yesterday, but it was still really soft and stinky - woooeeee!

I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for the help!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i think you'll be pleased with the results from the bene-bac. Java had 2 rounds of anti-biotics for her intestinal bacterial overgrowth [that's what they called it] & still had stinky/soft stools, so i got some. she only needed 1 tube [2 doses per tube] but it comes in 2-tube packs. anyway, it worked great!

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...I might have to try some of this bene bac. Gizmo has been having the same problem as ferris but acts otherwise normal. I'll have to make a trip to the pet store tomorrow and see if they have it. Hopefully it will do the trick.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Sho and Tomas had bad diarrhea earlier this month the vet gave me a tube of paste called diarsanyl for Sho, as Tomas was already getting over his diarrhea. (ack there's teeth holes all over the box, when did Tomas try to eat it?!
)
Icky, sweet smelling brown paste that's supposed to "aid in coating the intestinal muosa", it did help, his stool was solid a couple of days later. The only problem I have with the stuff is that it contains sugar and made his poo smell very sickly sweet.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have personally taken "good" bacteria tablets for humans, can't recall the name, but it begins with an "a" and it helped to prevent yeast infections when I was on antibiotics, so it totally makes sense to me to give this a try - it might be as simple as IBS.
Was it acidophilus? It's a common probotic. Depending on the cat food you use there may be probotics in it already.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, GingersMom, I feel for you. I sure hope Ferris is back to perfect health very soon!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Was it acidophilus? It's a common probotic. Depending on the cat food you use there may be probotics in it already.
Yes - that was the name of it, and that's what I took for myself.

I use Nutro for dry, but Ginger will only eat Meow Mix wet, so that's the wet they've been mostly getting. Ferris I've been giving him SD and ProPlan kitten also, as there are a couple of flavors that he likes.

I don't think there are any probiotics in those foods.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Oh, GingersMom, I feel for you. I sure hope Ferris is back to perfect health very soon!
Thank you!

He was so sweet last night, gave me blinkies all on his own and curled up for a nap on my bed with his head resting in my hand.