It Stinks!!.... Literally!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The area rug I got yesterday STINKS!! I think the guy had a dog who peed on it and they didn't clean it FOREVER! So I borrowed a steam cleaner and you wouldn't BELIEVE the color difference.. I mean the water was literally black!
So I thought I got the smell out. I left for a couple hours today to let it dry and when I came home... I was wrong! You can still smell it!
SO I flipped it over and cleaned the other side (Glad I bought the big bottle of cleaner).. I'm hoping I can get the smell out now... I have it hanging over the fence outside to dry out (hopefully air out too).. If I can't, I might just have to trash it!

It's such a beautiful rug too! Does anyone have any suggestions? I have Febrezed it and used Rug Doctor Ordor Neutralizer on it... I have such a keen sense of smell that there is NO WAY I can tolerate it..

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sorry it stinks I hope it gets better. Maybe try steam cleaning it one more time if it doesn't get it. If not atleast it was free.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup - just keep steaming it! And pet supply stores quite often sell stuff that will remove pet odors - we have this stuff called Nil Odor here that is very good!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewwww
I'd go to a Pet Supply Store to see if they have anything that could get the smell out, along with more steam cleaning!

GOOD LUCK!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try using some vinegar and water mix to clean it.That neutralizes the Urine smell.And it's cheaper than Natures Miracle.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Try using some vinegar and water mix to clean it.That neutralizes the Urine smell.And it's cheaper than Natures Miracle.
I was going to suggest using Nature's Miracle. That stuff is amazing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Maybe Stanley Steemer could get the smell out.
do JUST the rug

They want over $200 to
Originally Posted by crittermom

I am going to try that tomorrow... My neighbor said I should lay it in the driveway, use the vinegar and water, and hose it off... Then maybe use OxyClean... I hope it works!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice, but now you know the catch behind the gorgeous free carpet. I suspect he got rid of it for the problem that you are having.

You need some type of enzyme cleaner to get rid of urine smells in tiles and fabrics. Oxyclean my do because it is an enzyme.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Simple Solution (an enzyme cleaner) for both my dog and cats "accidents"
, and I like it as well as Nature's Miracle, and I can get it at my local grocery store.
Oh, I also read around here somewhere that someone used Dreft (baby laundry detergent- you can get it about anywhere
) - for stuff the cat peed on- I washed my bathroom rugs in it (after spraying with the SS) and they smell great! (haven't done the big test of putting them back on the floor yet, though...
) Good Luck!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll plug Nature's Miracle too - I had a nasty pee smell in my spare bedroom and that took it out in no time!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When all else fails- call Stanley Steemer!!!!! They do AMAZING work and for just one rug- they're exceptionally reasonable. Don't trash it- let them save it
/ Also- be sure not to use any clenaers/ products on the rug until you've test treated a tiny spot to see if any reactions occur
Good luck!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha this is why i just cant put up with a dog, their URINE STINKS!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

haha this is why i just cant put up with a dog, their URINE STINKS!
And a dog with a bladder infection (with incontinence because of it), will all but kill you with the smell!

My DH cleaned it up with the junk towels, and I had to wash them in hot water with both Tide and Oxyclean 3 times to get the smell out

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you steam clean it a few more times, and maybe use a product specifically for pet smells/stains, the smell will eventually disapear. Good Luck