Keeping him out of the kitchen sink?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So... Davidson has all of a sudden discovered my kitchen sink, and counters by the stove
Harley never had a problem going up there, so I've never thought Davidson would either. WRONG.

I'm concerened because of our garbage disposle. I just dont want his leg to get into the drain and hurt himself.

Is there any way to keep him off those counters and out of the sink!?

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first vote would be for a drain stopper to cover up the disposal opening though.

I also saw a product in a Skymall catalog over Christmas that would emit a shrill beep if it detected movement on the counter. Looked online but couldn't find it...

I did find this on the fanciers.com website however:

It's not a good idea to let your cat on your kitchen counters or tabletops. There are several ways to prevent this. Leave a collection of poorly balanced kitchen utensils or empty (or with a few pennies inside) aluminum cans on the counter near the edge, so the cat will knock them off if it jumps up. Cats hate surprises and loud noises. Leave some ordinary dishwashing liquid on the counters, or some masking tape (or two-sided carpet tape) arranged gummy side up. Don't leave things on the counter that will attract the cat (like raw meat).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

My first vote would be for a drain stopper to cover up the disposal opening though.

I also saw a product in a Skymall catalog over Christmas that would emit a shrill beep if it detected movement on the counter. Looked online but couldn't find it...

I did find this on the fanciers.com website however:
Thanks Emily- I don't have a drain stopper, but maybe I should see if I can find one at Menards or something?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Menards should carry something like that. You can also probably find it at a Sears, Lowe's, a Linen's N Things or a Bed, Bath & Beyond...

Flowerbelle and Shelly started hopping up on the counters. We covered them with stuff for about a month. It was a pain in the butt, because we always had to move something to use them, but it worked (mostly).

How to stop him jumping onto that edge of counter and then into the sink? That I don't know. But sounds like a sink stopper would be a good idea.

Shelly still ocassionally jumps up onto the counters - but he always manages to jump down just as we're walking into the kitchen - and he KNOWS he wasn't supposed to have been up there because he BOLTS out of the kitchen after that, lol! Before, we'd say "NO" kind of loud and sternly, pick him (or Flowerbelle) up and set them on the floor. Of course, that only works when you're around to catch them. That's when we decided to cover the counters with so much stuff there wasn't anything to jump up on to.

Flowerbelle doesn't jump up there anymore. But Shelly likes to sneak a jump in every once in a while, even though he definitely got that he's not supposed to.

Laurie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh when he sees me coming, he jumps right down and runs away, he KNOWS he isn't supposed to be up there, whats funny- is that Harley is just sitting there watching, well knowing its wrong!

Maybe I'll just go to Menards to get a drain stopper if I can't get him to stay down, he thinks he's so smart for getting up there tho

I hope he stops, I hate him getting up on the stove too, especially if its warm after we've used it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm actually going through the same thing right now, i used to have their food on my kitchen counter and now I have moved nito the "cat room" so I;m trying to retrain them to stay off the counters, its going ok
some got it right away, others are a little more stubborn. I just pick them up and put them down on the floor everytime I see them, sometimes I yell really loudly on my way over to them. Not surprisingly Sapphire is being extremely obstinate!!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reeses will get on the counters every once in a while and look in the sink and either drink from the faucet or from any water that might be in a bowl. We have a garbage disposal too but we have a dish drying rack in that part of the sink so she wouldn't be able to get to it.

I've just about given up on trying to keep Reeses off certain places like the counters and our kitchen table (which we don't usually use and if we do we clean it off). Water doesn't work, loud noises don't really work, and the more stuff for her to step on the better. She'll go even if there is no good walking room, like if we haven't cleaned the kitchen table off with bills and junk. Of course I feel like the house is nasty have a cat on those places, although I know it's not.

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dulcinea JUST discovered the sink...so now she walks around in it and gets her feet all wet (she seems to LOVE water lately too) and then she walks all around and get little paw marks on everything. I think we're going to invest in a cover for the sink?---that would seem to be the most practical thing...but then again, Dulcinea will probably see this as yet another new and exciting adventure and challenge.
We'll probably come home weeks from now and find that Dulcinea has brought all of her toys up on the new 'sink cover,' pitched a tent, and is now presiding from her new location!

Let me know if any of you come up with other ideas re: sinks~!---'the new frontier' for all discriminating cats!

Fr. Gregg

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats liked to curl up in the sink every night. One night we filled it with water.. He hasn't been back in the sink since.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjrocco

One of my cats liked to curl up in the sink every night. One night we filled it with water.. He hasn't been back in the sink since.
that's good! unfortunately my sink kitty would not be fazed- she loves the water! I pushed her into the shower once and she stood there
weirdo!

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

that's good! unfortunately my sink kitty would not be fazed- she loves the water! I pushed her into the shower once and she stood there
weirdo!
You mean she just stood there in the running shower??

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjrocco

That wouldn't help my boys, they would play in it... and then I would have a mess!

I put a towel in the sink over the drain, so at least that will give him some padding when he lays down