Fruit Addict

xangelicxnekox

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okies, so since my healty lifestyle transformation, I realized how much Im totally in LOVE w/fruits! Apples, bananas, oranges, pineapple, blueberries,strawberries, you name em, Im eating them! Everyday Im having some combination of fruits ( along w/whole grains of course).
However, as I look through my food journal, I realized that I eat practcally NO Veggies, aside from the salad (w/NO dressings).
So my feline friends, how do I incorparate a balance with the veggies as well as everything else?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a fruit in the morning and at lunch and before bed. That's 3 fruits.

Have a veggie with lunch, as an afternoon snack and 2 veggies at dinner. That's 4 veggies.

That covers your 7 servings of fruit/veggies per day requirement.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XangelicxnekoX

Okies, so since my healty lifestyle transformation, I realized how much Im totally in LOVE w/fruits! Apples, bananas, oranges, pineapple, blueberries,strawberries, you name em, Im eating them! Everyday Im having some combination of fruits ( along w/whole grains of course).
However, as I look through my food journal, I realized that I eat practcally NO Veggies, aside from the salad (w/NO dressings).
So my feline friends, how do I incorparate a balance with the veggies as well as everything else?
Since I can't eat fruits (I'm deathly allergic!!) I have to eat a lot of veggies. I love salad! Love it! but I know the dressing can be very bad and some of those Fat Free ones suck.
So I get the fat free italian and add one teaspoon of ceasar dressing (which is really strong tasting) and it adds enough flavor to the dressing to make it taste really well.
I also love to eat broccoli and carrots with some ranch dip. The hidden valley ranch mixed with low fat or fat free sour cream is great!
And also - stir fry. I stir fry veggies all the time at home and mix them with teryaki sauce. Add some shrimp or chicken and

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wait 'till you have the summer fruits! I could live off of fruit and meat, and have to work to eat veggies, too. Even my favorite vegetables are fruit: tomatoes and avocados!

We eat lots of salads, with very little dressing, but my favorite is roasted vegetables (carrots, squashes, potatoes, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.). Everything tastes good roasted! Steamed is good, too, for artichokes, spinach, kale, and okra. (Wish I could find okra around here.)

And if you are eating raw veggies, they taste much better if you parboil them for a minute or two.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roasted veggies are always good! Especially if you season them a little.

I love chicken stuffed with spinach and peppers and tomato with a little low fat cheese.

Now if I could get more fruits in I would be happy (give me veggies over most fruits any day)

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw sugar snap peas are slightly sweet and have great texture! I love eating them for a snack.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooohh, I love fruit too, but only apples and grapes I can eat raw, the rest are good only in smoothies!

Veggies and me don't mix

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pretty much anytime I make marinara sauce I "sneak" either zucchini or spinach, or both, into it. Macaroni and cheese tastes great with broccoli or peas in it! You can also add spinach to soups or even mashed potatoes and it tastes good!

My favorite veggie is asparagus: it tastes great grilled or oven roasted: just rub it with a bit of olive oil and salt and grill or roast til the ends get a little crispy and browned.

And, there's always baby carrots with dip or hummus!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love fruit almost as much as I love chocolate. I'm looking foward to the spring so I can get wonderful berries from the farmer's market.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, do I love fruit! Who can resist some plump dark red strawberries? Or black concord grapes? Apples, nanners, blackberries, white nectarines...heavenly!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NOthing wrong with plain old peas and carrots.
As for just carrots add a bit of butter and either a little maple syrup (the real stuff) or brown sugar. For green beans add some slivered almonds. I freeze lots of broccoli and cauliflower, then add some carrots and mix in a little bit of cheese. Asparagus on the grill is great or slice on the diagonal and saute in a bit of olive oil. I saute zucchini the same way. We have 2 kinds of veggie for dinner. Tonite is was the broccoli mix and squash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xangelicxnekox

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!
Icklemiss, I LOVE your avatar!

Hey is it really ok to season my veggies?
It won't take away from the nutritous value if I add a lil somethin somethin?
I just don't wanna go overboard and drench it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I love fruit almost as much as I love chocolate. I'm looking foward to the spring so I can get wonderful berries from the farmer's market.
So do I!!!!!! I am a "fruit-a-holic" if you look in my fridge right now- there is fruit EVERYWHERE!!!!! I am really picky about my fruit too- i take lots of time when i produce shop to pick out the ripest and freshest fruits
I eat fruit several times a day!!!! I also like to dip apples and stuff like that in stonybrook farm organic vanilla yogurt
it's sooooo incredably tasty!!!!! (that and stonybrook farm yogurts rock!!! my favorite are the yo'baby ones in vanilla and banana- if you're lactose intolerant- they're easy on your stomach and taste like a deliscious desert!!!" Hehe right now i have pineapple, 3 different types of apples, green seedless grapes, tangerines, naval oranges, bananas, strawberries... hehe the list goes on

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salad dressings are very healthy if made at home!!

Just use olive oil, its actually very good for you and really good for your skin!

Mix it with either balsamico, lemon, salt and pepper and voila!

My mum usually squirts out some tomato juice, adds a tablespoon water, 2 table spoons olive oil and some salt! once you toss the salad together even with a onion it gives out such a lovely flavour!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends what you season with I guess

I use a little pepper and some herbs, if you are using a lot of oil based dressings, probably not great for you!

Another thing I read the other day, is if you are freezing veggies, cook them straight from frozen as the thawing process leeches some of the nutrients also.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out penzeys.com. They have a seasoning called Mural of Flavor that I use on practically everything (and their Fox Point seasoning too) These are salt free. I season my veggies alot!!