Anyone have Direct TV?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our new apartment we can get Direct TV. Anyone have this and like it? Any horror stories making me want to avoid this company?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just a company name, or is it a new tech? Obviously, I haven't heard of it... just waiting for more TCS education!

kisskat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

In our new apartment we can get Direct TV. Anyone have this and like it? Any horror stories making me want to avoid this company?

About 5 years ago we signed up with Direct TV for a year and I can't recall having any problems with them at all. The only reason we didn't renew was that we moved and weren't allowed to have them at the new apartment. I know everyone told us to be careful if it got cloudy or windy because we would lose service but I never had a problem with the service going out. We were in an area near the Bronx at the time so I don't know if that had anything to do with the reception or not.

I have heard horror stories about Dish Network though.

Kathie

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

We have Directv and we've never had any trouble with at all.
We switched when Comcast bought out our cable company raised the price but not the number of channels.
Directv is $20 cheaper and we get 81 more channels.

They were on time to install and answered all of the questions we had.
Even in the middle of snow, ice and rain storms we've never lost service...can't say the same for the cable...it went out everytime the wind changed directions!

So, I only have good things to say about it.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have DirecTV. I have had it since it was PrimeStar. I love them. They will bend over backwards for you.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG I hate DirectTV ......... I have half of my house with Charter and half with Direct. I would have the whole house with Charter but they will only give out 1 box per household, per year of Tivo
Direct Tv will give however many we want.

Whenver there is bad weather, there are A LOT of channels you cant view. And if you have any problems with the Tivo boxes, they charge you $75.00 to come and look at it. Thats is ridiculous to me! Charter comes and looks at it free of charge, like it should be.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kisskat

I have heard horror stories about Dish Network though.

Kathie
I actually have Dish Network and even though I had heard some stories about it as well I love it! I studied both Dish and Direct and only went with dish because of the dual tuners that direct doesn't have. That said though Dish doesn't have local channels which for me is 6 different channels so I just pay the cable company $5 to get them.
Either way - I found that both dish and direct were tons cheaper than Comcrap was. I pay $84 a month for dish that includes the largest channel package, paid channel packages, two dual tuners and DVR capability. I never had all that with Comcrap, but I added it up to see how much I would have had to pay "if" I wanted all that stuff with cable and it was $140!!! for the same stuff! Satellite is the way to go! I've never had a problem with reception, weather, wind, etc.
I would definitely give it a shot! You'll probably love it!

(can you tell I'm a little "anti" cable?
and my brother works for Comcast -
)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl

I have it! I haven't had any problems with them. I don't get a signal when it rains though.
i have problems during really bad storms, but only then. most of the time i have no trouble at all. i really like mine - much better than the cable i had before, even with the occasional outages. what i like best is the programming feature - you can pre-program what you want to watch, & it automatically switches channels for you. you can set it for every week for your regular programs, or just for single programs. you get a little description of what's on, so you no longer need any kind of guide - there's one right in the TV. right now they're having a special for referrals - both you & the person who referred you get $50, plus the new person gets a DVD player. you can read about the special here.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 3 receivers in our house and the only time we have problems is when we get BAD rain and snow builds up on the dish.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Dish network at mom's. It is way more cheaper than Comcast. Yes you can lose signal during the a storm but Comcast would go out for no reason.
Dish/Direct sound just the same. We went with Dish b/c popvision's customers were offered a discount when Pop went out of business.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got it last month ... and after the "learning period" it is great ... okay so I still aint sure what channel anything is but that is what the guide is for
.... it did go out for a bit do to a 5 inch wet snow... all I did was brush it off and pefect picture...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool... thanks everyone. We are going to be on the 12th floor of an apartment building when we have it, so I'd have to watch for wind.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have it at work and I can't stand it. We originally had comcast and had all your usual cable channels, including NESN which people loved because we could watch the Red Sox games. They got Direct TV because Verizon now sells it and it's terrible. Local channels are a rediculously high number, like 932..nothing OBVIOUS. We get almost none of the usual channels because they cheaped out and got the, I don't know, basic suck pacakge *lol*You have to wade through pages of pay channels that you don't get, and alot it takes forever for the channel information to refresh. You'll pull up the guide and it'll say the same show name on every channel for about 30 seconds.

I'll never get it here. Yeah it may be cheaper but I'm not that patient

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my DirectTV. I get the crazy "all world" package thing, and we get every movie channel under the sun! I sometimes do have trouble during storms, but it always returns when the worst of it is over.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had Direct TV in the past two houses we've lived in and have been very pleased with the service. We have only really fully lost signal a few times during REALLY bad weather: I think it depends on where you can position it on your house.

We're getting the Hi-Def TIVO box in February, I'm pretty sure it's the most exciting thing that's ever happened to my husband
Football in Hi-Def! Baseball in Hi-Def! And he can record and pause it! My LORD!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting comments!!!
We just have basic "free" TV-no cable or satellite. I know some of the channels would be nice to see once in a while but I watch too much TV at times the way it is!!

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have had it for over 10 years. Love it. Have also had dish as well but they dont offer PBSkidsprout programming so its a no go in my house. My SIL and her family and my BIL and his partner have Dish and love it.

If you get someone who knows what they are doing to set your dish you wont have issues with it going out. When we lived in MS i can honestly tell you that we went thru Hurricaine Katrina with TV until the power went out. One year we had straight line winds and several tornadoes come thru town. We all stayed at my in laws house and watched directv the day after the storms running on a generator. Cable wasnt back up for over 2 weeks! this was city wide. Here in Tx we havent lost signal yet. We love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Is it just a company name, or is it a new tech? Obviously, I haven't heard of it... just waiting for more TCS education!
It's a newer cable system that has a small satellite dish. My new apartment faces south so I'll be able to get it now.