Iams and nutro or something i always hear about any info
coz my cat wont mind 2 change

thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whiskas do not have any great opinion among the cat-people at the different forums.

If it is OK for you to try a change - consider seriously a change...

Which country do you live in?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IT is the bottom of the food chain... by products , corn(lots of it) , artificial colors flavors , and chemical preservatives... basically it is similiar to a himan eating fast food all day everyday

Nutro is light years better and one of the best in the$$ ... no grd corn ... no chemical pres no artificial colors or flavors NO animal or chn by products

Iams has by products and corn so I dont look at it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raju

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i live in uk and cannot find nutro so any ideas what i could get in the uk ?

Theres thing like go cat, iams, gourmay
and others i cant remember.

My whiskas is almost finished so i need some food anywayz

bella's_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding my kitten Whiskas since we got her 4 months ago, the general opinion of my cat owning friends is that Whiskas is one of the best you can get, along with Felix and IIams (which is alot more expensive) the rest are all a lot cheaper than Whiskas which cost me about £3.00 for 12 pouches or £3.00 for 2kg of the kitten dry food. I am quite shocked to find it is at the lower end of the market, a lot of the food that have been mentioned on the forum I haven't come across, I haven't heard of Nutro, I willl have to do more research. Thanks

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many high quality commercial cat foods available in the UK, Natures Menu and Hi Life (as just two wet food examples) and James Wellbeloved for dry.

You can also buy foods online which are of a very high quality.

The best thing to do is read the labels and learn the nutritional and additional values - the higher the meat content, the better

If you do a search of the Health and Nutrition forum, with the addition of UK, you will find many threads with discussions of food in this country

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You can get Nutro, plus some other quality foods, online at www.zooplus.co.uk, among other sites. Most of the well-known international brands available at just about every supermarket aren't highly regarded, as they contain a lot of by-products, grains, and additives. One thing to keep in mind about prices: The higher the quality, the smaller the quantity fed, and the less being excreted, so you also save on litter costs.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

There are many high quality commercial cat foods available in the UK, Natures Menu and Hi Life (as just two wet food examples) and James Wellbeloved for dry.
That's what I feed too, with the addition of some applaws/almo nature (expensive but Jaffa's developing quite a taste for them
) and a few others I buy online. I fed felix for years (with JWB dry) but I realise now it's not a good food and has a low meat content and the addition of soy/cereal etc. which isn't ideal for cats.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont have many choices available for my kitties and what is available (Eukanuba, Iams, Pro plan, Royal Canin, Exclusive) is VERY expensive. So I feed Friskies which is on the same level as Whiskas.

Ceci does pretty good, her stool is firm (but stinks to high heaven!), her coat is very shiny and her energy level is...well that of a cat! She has absolutely no smell to her, good or bad. Ceci doesnt eat wet, but I have bought the wet Meow Mix pouches and those have very good ingredients.

Samantha also gets Friskies dry, but she doesnt like it much, so she also gets Meow Mix Pouches, 9 Nine Lives Tuna & Egg and Proplan Chicken.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad someone mentioned zooplus.com

Currently we are giving Radar a mix of Almo Nature 'Jelly', Hi-Life and Natures Menu wet food as well as Science Plan and James WellBeloved dry food. There are lots of options for cats in the UK if you go to pet stores rather than supermarkets.
Radar won't eat Whiskas and is going off Natures Menu as some of the flavours appear to have changed (in particular the Chicken, Tuna and Salmon flavour though I'm sure there is another as it appears to smell different also).
I would have answered this question sooner if the OP had said he lived in the UK. I think Radar prefers a higher content of actual meat as Whiskas contains a lot of soy/cereal as has been pointed out

raju

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea sorry its not a big deal anyway coz i kno the info now
So ill go to the petshop soon and c which 1 has high meat content and is healthy with no things like corn and colours and things

Cheers for the info guys

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

I'm glad someone mentioned zooplus.com

Currently we are giving Radar a mix of Almo Nature 'Jelly', Hi-Life and Natures Menu wet food as well as Science Plan and James WellBeloved dry food. There are lots of options for cats in the UK if you go to pet stores rather than supermarkets.
Radar won't eat Whiskas and is going off Natures Menu as some of the flavours appear to have changed (in particular the Chicken, Tuna and Salmon flavour though I'm sure there is another as it appears to smell different also).
I would have answered this question sooner if the OP had said he lived in the UK. I think Radar prefers a higher content of actual meat as Whiskas contains a lot of soy/cereal as has been pointed out
Schesir and Cosma (zooplus's "house" brand) are comparable to Almo, but like you, I only feed those brands in conjunction with others and/or dry food, as many of the flavors contain more potassium than calcium. I can't get James WellBeloved in Germany, but use such brands as Felidae, Solid Gold, Eagle Pack, Prairie, Ziwi Peak, etc.. Miamor Fine Fillets are good, too.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in the US (i'm in iowa), they just came out with Whiskas "Purrfectly Fish" pouches, which are similar to Meow Mix pouches in ingredients. there were 4 different flavors at our Petsmart, so we are trying each. last night the Meow Mix pouches still won out over Whiskas for preference. those are the only whiskas products i've seen with good ingredients though.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whiskas is a very low quality food. I don't know whats available in the UK, and for some reason people say Whiskas is good over there, but over here its crap food!

raju

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok here is what is in my whiskas kitten food:
cerals
vegetable protein extracts
meat and animal derivatives(min 4% chichken,min 4% meat)
oils and fats,
minerals
derivates of vegetanble origin
milk and milk derivates(min 4 %)
thats it i dont understand so can everybody tell me wat is and and wat is bad plz

thanks

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say the worst thing about it is that the first ingredient is cereal and not meat. Between cereal, vegetable protein extract and derivatives of vegetable origin that's an awful lot of grains/vegetables for an animal that's a carnivore. Cats do better getting their protein from meat and as you can see, there's not a lot of that! 8% meat is very low - esp when you compare it to something like natures menu or hi life which has about 70% meat. Animal derivatives means by products. That's the yukky bits of an animal the humans tend not to eat (eg intestines, hooves, skin... I'm not sure exactly what is legally covered). I don't personally have too much of a problem with by products as cats eat those parts of the animals when they eat live prey, but unless it's a named by product (such as chicken by product) you don't really know what's in it so I prefer to avoid them where possible. I think EU regulations are also tighter than those in the US and only animals fit for human consumption are allowed to be used for pet food meaning that roadkill or euthenised animals cannot end up in pet food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok here is what is in my whiskas kitten food:
ceralsthis is grain... yes you have grain to keep the food together but cats need little to none in there diet so first is not a good place

vegetable protein extractsIs it wheat , soy, corn ???
meat and animal derivatives(min 4% chichken,min 4% meat)this equates fairly well to a by product ( heads ft itentines undeveloped eggs
oils and fats,From who and what

minerals
derivates of vegetanble originby products of veggies??
milk and milk derivates(min 4 %)most cats are lactose intolderent thus milk shouldnt be included
thats it i dont understand so can everybody tell me wat is and and wat is bad plz

thanks

raju

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
btw it was dry food
and im going crazy today hopefully ill ask someone to take me 2 pets at home
and buy some DECENT food.
Im only 13 years old so im not an expert.
this is driving me nuts, my sister helps with the money but i do EVERYTHING else.
okok i will get something better make sure it has big % of meat and hardly any grain. no colourants and flavourants.
ill try to keep it tasy as well.
I hear gourmey(or something)has like 50%+ meat in it and looks quite nice with no flavorants or colourants.
In ipswich where i live theres like only 1 big pet shop and thats hardly got a big cat section. Me mum owes me some money so ill use that and buy some food hopefully 2nite(its 6pm btw)
This time ill look in the ingredeints well

Phew.........

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Schesir and Cosma (zooplus's "house" brand) are comparable to Almo, but like you, I only feed those brands in conjunction with others and/or dry food, as many of the flavors contain more potassium than calcium. I can't get James WellBeloved in Germany, but use such brands as Felidae, Solid Gold, Eagle Pack, Prairie, Ziwi Peak, etc.. Miamor Fine Fillets are good, too.
Well the Almo Nature has gone down well with Radar, so we will pick up some samples of those foods to try next time we do an order. I know what you mean about feeding in conjunction - I do like the Hi-Life, but while their kitten wet is a complete food, the adult wet is 'complimentary' - so if he has that for one meal I make sure that the next is something different. It's a bit of a juggling act, but he does also eat his JW dry, so the wet food is mostly to get the moisture content into him and for variety.

I swear I spend 10x the amount of time thinking about the cat's nutritional requirements than I do my own - if I put that much effort into my own diet I would be so healthy!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by raju

btw it was dry food
and im going crazy today hopefully ill ask someone to take me 2 pets at home
and buy some DECENT food.
Im only 13 years old so im not an expert.
this is driving me nuts, my sister helps with the money but i do EVERYTHING else.
okok i will get something better make sure it has big % of meat and hardly any grain. no colourants and flavourants.
ill try to keep it tasy as well.
I hear gourmey(or something)has like 50%+ meat in it and looks quite nice with no flavorants or colourants.
In ipswich where i live theres like only 1 big pet shop and thats hardly got a big cat section. Me mum owes me some money so ill use that and buy some food hopefully 2nite(its 6pm btw)
This time ill look in the ingredeints well

Phew.........
It is really confusing isn't it, there are so many brands with different ingredients, it's difficult to know which packets to look at!

If it's dry food you're after, then James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin are good brands. The Pets At Home I go to in London has both, so hopefully if you can get to your nearest branch you will find a similar choice.

Bless you for caring so much and spending your money on good food for the cat, if every adult gave it as much thought and effort as you have, the world would be a much better place for all pets!