Who is more unethical Mc Donalds or your local school board?

lottomagicz4941

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just saw Super Size Me where a guy ate Mc Donalds for 30 days straight.

It was a bad thing. I got physically ill watching the movie.

But it isn't all Mc Donald's fault.

Schools should encourage and enable people to live a healthy life style.

My school served hamburgers almost daily. Ditto for french fries.

Should Mc Donalds offer vitamine supplements?

This poll isn't perfect. Just had to get this post out so as I could get some sleep.

Who do you think is more ethical or unethical. Mc Donalds or your local school board?

The movie stated that the Mc Play places were to hook the kids. I always thought Mc Donalds had a good intention of getting kids to be more active with them.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LottomagicZ4941

Just saw Super Size Me where a guy ate Mc Donalds for 30 days straight.

It was a bad thing. I got physically ill watching the movie.

But it isn't all Mc Donald's fault.

Schools should encourage and enable people to live a healthy life style.

My school served hamburgers almost daily. Ditto for french fries.

Should Mc Donalds offer vitamine supplements?

This poll isn't perfect. Just had to get this post out so as I could get some sleep.

Who do you think is more ethical or unethical. Mc Donalds or your local school board?

The movie stated that the Mc Play places were to hook the kids. I always thought Mc Donalds had a good intention of getting kids to be more active with them.
I'd say it's a toss up. Some school boards don't do enough to make sure that the kids eat healthy. I saw Supersize Me and they say it right in the movie, that schools could have healthy alternatives for lunch for the same price if not a bit less than what they serve now, but they're not choosing to.

McDonalds has always been about hooking kids. The Play Place is to draw kids in, it has nothing to do with fitness. The same goes for them offering toys, the clown, the birthday parties etc.. They are doing more though to offer healthy alternatives so it is getting better, but they still target kids as much as they always have.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that everyone can make their own choices. That guy ate McDonald's for 30 days straight, supersizing everything. We all have known for a long time that that isn't healthy. We all know that you need fruits and veggie and a balance of good fats and exercise. Every school I went to offered a variety of foods. We had 3 different lines, every day. YOu have the line with healthy good food like dinners your mom would make, then you had the pizza, hambugers and hot dog line, and you had the line for the salad bar.

Kids do need to be taught how to eat healthy. But if your serve kids a tray of food that they don't want, they aren't going to eat it. parents can also pack their children's lunches.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
McDonalds are getting rid of the 'healthier' choices menu in the UK as it wasn't profitable- the media also attacked them when it was discovered that the chicken salad with sauce had as much calories as a cheesebuger due to the amount of fat in the sauce. McDonalds have been found to be involved in the ill-treatment of the chickens they use and deliberately target children in their advertising.
I can't eat anything at McDonalds as I do not eat meat- they fry their burgers in chicken fat, chicken fat is used to thicken their shakes and their fries have beef flavourings

If you want more info on Mcdonalds practices try http://www.mcspotlight.org/issues/index.html

As for school food I remember taking packed lunches

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I think that everyone can make their own choices. That guy ate McDonald's for 30 days straight, supersizing everything. We all have known for a long time that that isn't healthy. We all know that you need fruits and veggie and a balance of good fats and exercise. Every school I went to offered a variety of foods. We had 3 different lines, every day. YOu have the line with healthy good food like dinners your mom would make, then you had the pizza, hambugers and hot dog line, and you had the line for the salad bar.

Kids do need to be taught how to eat healthy. But if your serve kids a tray of food that they don't want, they aren't going to eat it. parents can also pack their children's lunches.
My school was the same way, Brandi. We had 3 lines too, always with a salad bar, or a vegitarian alternative.

Super Size Me- yeah, a creepy movie, but what do you expect? Eating McDonalds everyday, for 30 days, supersizing everything? People can't always blame McDonalds when THEY are the one eating it, THEY are the one putting it in their bodies.

If people don't think its healty, which it isn't- they shouldn't be eating it in the 1st place.

I probably go there 1 or 2 times a month, why? Because I like it, yes, its unhealthy, but if I gain a pound or two, I'm not going to blame every fast food joint for gaining weight. I'm the one putting it in my body, they aren't forcing it down my throat!

Parent's do need to teach their children how to eat healthy, of course! And yes, I'm sure there are many schools around that need to offer better alternatives, but if people have problems with the schools food that they are serving, they should go to the school board and try to have it changed.

Another thing... why are people always targeting McDonalds? Why not any other fast food place out there? I'm guessing they are just as unhealthy as McDonalds is!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think both parties should be more responsible. I think there should be regular choices for kids in school that are not chicken nuggets, french fries, burgers & pizza. Schools should be more responsible for teaching and offering better choices. McD's was ok for me as a kid on occasion. It was a "treat" to have McD's on a Friday night, if mom didn't feel like cooking. But I think that McD's should try to conform to healthier ways as well.

(I always thought the play areas were good for kids too, cause they'd run around for an hour....also, again as a treat, not every week)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...while this is a toss McDonalds is just a business. Just like Dell, Samsung, Toyota, GM, etc.

They're just out to make a profit. If people are too lazy to cook for themselves 1 night a month or everyday of the month, then that's they're perogitive. You don't HAVE to eat McDonalds.

However school boards that incorporate McDonalds into your meal plan, well heck...that's just plain insane. School boards are suppose to be responsible for the students and that includes their health, whether or not they get it from home. Its a well known fact that McD's is not the healthiest of foods. Some districts allow it as an everyday day option...that's in poor choice. They might as well give the kids a tub of lard with sugar sprinkles on top and tell them that its healthy.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I don't eat fast food. I have heard of some schools having a "pizza hut" in them. I find that disturbing.

I think the point of Super Size Me, was for people to see just how unhealthy fast food is, in general. What happened to him would not have happened if he were on a healthy diet. There are people out there who eat fast food every single day ( my manager being one of them ).

However what grown adults eat is their own business and their own personal choice. I don't eat the stuff cause I hate the way it makes me feel.

All school districts should be feeding kids healthier meals though. The eating habits of a child will be the eating habits of an adult.

That is my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lottomagicz4941

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason Mc Ds was targeted is that they have 40% of the market.

And I don't think he super sized every meal.

Also wonder if he had just eaten once a day instead of 3X how he would have faired.

Plus a simple multi vitamine would have midigated the health conquences.

But many 13 year olds don't take multi vitamines.

He would have diluted his point.

Even if you make healthy choices the uninformed are increasing your health insurance preimums!!! Really there should be a fat tax.

And I wonder if my brother would be healthier today if our school food had been better.

I can eat the fries. I can eat the big mack. But if I eat both I get that Mc Donalds feeling ooohhh that mc donalds feeling.

lottomagicz4941

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

He only did it when they asked "Do you want to super size that?" Which a lot of the time they did.
I only watched it once. I think they showed him super sizing more in the movie then he did percentage wise. I think towards the end they said he was asked to super size 11 times and 7 of them were in TX.

So far results of the poll.

View Poll Results: Who is more unethical Mc Donalds or your local school board?
Mc Donalds is more unethical because they do more harm 2 28.57%
McDs & sch boards are both ethical it is the people making poor choices that are unethical 1 14.29%
McDs is only resp to share holders thus ethical in harming health of heavey users of product 0 0%
[On stock forums I would expect this to be the number 1 answer.]
Most sch bds have more unethics not teaching nor enabling our youth to live healthy lives 2 28.57%
Other please explain in post 2 28.57%

I don't think many parents realize how bad the food choice are at schools.

Most Americans eat to much so if the kids don't eat thier lunch no big deal. Better then giving them soggy fatty fries like my school did.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Health wise skipping meals is also bad. It causes the body to store fat as it goes into starvation mode. Especially if this is done frequently!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, first you don't have to eat McD's. No one is holding a gun forcing people to eat at McD's.

Second parents are responsible for what their kids eat! If you raise them on happy meals they are going to want to eat only happy meals!

School lunches aren't fit for adults to eat. Now I will admit this may only be in my county and state. I have gone to lunch with all three of my boys at different times and different schools over the years and they suck. To fix the school lunches is going to take a complete overhaul and that's not going to happen when school lunches cost 1.40 and under. You are not going to get good lunches at that price. IMO

I have a co-worker whose son is 11 and will only eat fast food or the equivalent like pizza pockets, hotdogs, corndogs. She actually makes to separate dinners. One for her and the other kids and one for this son.
Unbelievable but true. Blows my mind. If I didn't like what's for dinner I didn't eat and I raised my boys that way as well.

It starts at home!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I have a co-worker whose son is 11 and will only eat fast food or the equivalent like pizza pockets, hotdogs, corndogs. She actually makes to separate dinners. One for her and the other kids and one for this son.
Unbelievable but true. Blows my mind. If I didn't like what's for dinner I didn't eat and I raised my boys that way as well.
Unbelievable- if that was my kid I'd serve him the same dinner as the others and explain that if he wants fast food then he should pay for it himself. The kid would soon learn to eat the same as the others as I can't see him starving no matter how stubborn he is

lottomagicz4941

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Health wise skipping meals is also bad. It causes the body to store fat as it goes into starvation mode. Especially if this is done frequently!
It would be intresting to see what a nutritionist thinks on this one.

Which is better 3 large meals or two large meals?

It is probably better to skip lunch then to skip breckfast.

Traditional dieting is one of the worst things a person who wants to lose fat can do because it slows done the metabolism.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually (if I can find the link) the more meals you eat, the healthier skinner you are.

The trick is to eat 5 small meals. The larger the meal and less often the larger you become because you are eating more all at once, and between that time your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat. So if you eat 2 meals a day that are large, with little to no exercise, you'll be fat.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think both schools and fast food chains sould offer a healthy alternative. They are staring to get better at it, but kids don't know what's healthy, they know what tastes good.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Unbelievable- if that was my kid I'd serve him the same dinner as the others and explain that if he wants fast food then he should pay for it himself. The kid would soon learn to eat the same as the others as I can't see him starving no matter how stubborn he is
She has said he has gone without eating dinner but whether that's true or not I don't know.

lottomagicz4941

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Actually (if I can find the link) the more meals you eat, the healthier skinner you are.

The trick is to eat 5 small meals. The larger the meal and less often the larger you become because you are eating more all at once, and between that time your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat. So if you eat 2 meals a day that are large, with little to no exercise, you'll be fat.
Skinny isn't always healtherier.

I had Dr orders to gain weight. I was in wrestling and got down to 7% body fat. Some think this is a good thing but my Dr was of the opinion that if you go below 10% body fat you can bruze your internal organs.

100 calaries is enough of a snack to get your metabilism back up.

I never ate the school food except for a few meals that I felt were worthy of my caloric intake.

At home I would eat one large meal for supper. Plus I snack alot. As for breckfast I'm not a moringing person so I would usually just have a milk on the go.

Yep, Milk for breckfast and skiping lunch most of the time made for a boy who couldn't wait for supper.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LottomagicZ4941

Skinny isn't always healtherier.

I had Dr orders to gain weight. I was in wrestling and got down to 7% body fat. Some think this is a good thing but my Dr was of the opinion that if you go below 10% body fat you can bruze your internal organs.

100 calaries is enough of a snack to get your metabilism back up.

I never ate the school food except for a few meals that I felt were worthy of my caloric intake.

At home I would eat one large meal for supper. Plus I snack alot. As for breckfast I'm not a moringing person so I would usually just have a milk on the go.

Yep, Milk for breckfast and skiping lunch most of the time made for a boy who couldn't wait for supper.
Thanks, I forgot about body fat content. I agree with the doc...anything under 10% is unhealthy.

Wow, you're nuts! I'm a bean and I still can't miss a meal.

Great now all this food talk made me hungry