New TV or Trip?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me and my boyfriend are thinking about taking a trip soon, but we also need a new tv. We can't afford both, but can't decide on which one. A trip would be great, I would love to get away from here for a week, but our tv is messed up. It just randomly goes darker all the time and it makes it really hard to see some shows. It's extremely annoying, especially when playing video games.

What do you think is the best choice?

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get rid of the TV and lie back and reminisce about a great trip. The TV can wait but imagine the sad nights in front of the TV imagining what might have been

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted TV. But I would check second hand stores. Sometimes people get rid of a perfectly good tv becasue they are upgrading. Just keep saving for your trip!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for trip. TV's are a dime a dozen now-a-days. I agree with Phenom, in fact I'm dumping a tv just because the sound keeps cutting out. It's cheaper to buy a new tv than to try and get that one fixed, but if I knew someone or could do it myself, I would've kept it.

Just for the record, what kind of tv are you looking at getting? As I said they're relatively cheap. If you're looking for an expensive tv, I'd say get something cheaper that allows you to have both the new tv and the trip. I was just thinking today about HDTV's, Plasma's etc.. and all the money people blow on tv's when it's just a box that you stare at in it's basic form.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for a trip. You can check craigslist.com or something like that to try to find a tv that someone wants to get rid of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I voted for trip. TV's are a dime a dozen now-a-days. I agree with Phenom, in fact I'm dumping a tv just because the sound keeps cutting out. It's cheaper to buy a new tv than to try and get that one fixed, but if I knew someone or could do it myself, I would've kept it.

Just for the record, what kind of tv are you looking at getting? As I said they're relatively cheap. If you're looking for an expensive tv, I'd say get something cheaper that allows you to have both the new tv and the trip. I was just thinking today about HDTV's, Plasma's etc.. and all the money people blow on tv's when it's just a box that you stare at in it's basic form.
My boyfriend wants to get an hdtv because we have an hd satellite receiver. We are hoping for something in the price range of $1500. I don't really care what it is though. This is our current tv.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

My boyfriend wants to get an hdtv because we have an hd satellite receiver. We are hoping for something in the price range of $1500. I don't really care what it is though. This is our current tv.
We got a 24" at Walmart for $138. If I were him I would just definately replace the tv with a basic one, maybe alittle larger if you can afford it, and take the trip. Spending $1500 on a tv is rediculous IMO, but that's just me, and I'm a guy! I should dream about these things!

If you get a cheaper tv to just replace the one you have and take the trip, you'll have a good time with each other which is more valuable, have a new tv, and life will go on even if the tv isn't hi-def

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i voted for the TV, because, as much as i enjoy traveling, it's occasional, while i use my TV almost every day. i'd miss it more. & you can always take the trip later, after you've saved up again.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Never mind the trip or the TV what I really want to know is....

Who is the baby's father?
how much you wanna bet.....neither??!!!!

back to topic, I would just get a cheapo TV and take the trip, save up to get the expensive TV after the trip

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i voted for the TV, because, as much as i enjoy traveling, it's occasional, while i use my TV almost every day. i'd miss it more. & you can always take the trip later, after you've saved up again.
True, but $1500 for a tv? Like I said, much cheaper can be had so they can have both.

I'm more surprised that he wants it, she doesn't care either way and she'd let him get it. My wife would kill me

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Replace the TV or else you'll be kicking yourself. You can get them really cheap on sale now, and would probably have enough left over for a trip! Win - win!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would prefer to not spend much on a tv, but my boyfriend is kind of picky. It can't be less than 36" (our current tv's size). I would like a widescreen tv because I am really sick of watching movies that are widescreen on a fullscreen tv. Other than that though, a trip would be really nice. We are starting college in September so we wont have the option to go away for the 3 years we are in school.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Never mind the trip or the TV what I really want to know is....

Who is the baby's father?
It was the nephew.

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh definately a HDTV.

Just imagine cosy night in front of the new tv, bottle of wine, good film, nice curry.............

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I would prefer to not spend much on a tv, but my boyfriend is kind of picky. It can't be less than 36" (our current tv's size). I would like a widescreen tv because I am really sick of watching movies that are widescreen on a fullscreen tv. Other than that though, a trip would be really nice. We are starting college in September so we wont have the option to go away for the 3 years we are in school.
That's hard. I know how hard it is to finally have time for a vacation, but not be able to go. And I couldn't live without a TV, since I do a lot of work at home stuff. In this situation, I would get a cheaper tv and go on a weekend getaway.