Should I even attempt this?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you know I love to bake, but I am the worldâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s worst cake decorator. Most of the time I just slap some frosting on it and call it a day. I've been thinking about trying to use some fondant. Now, I'm going to have to get a granite slab to roll this out, and I may have to buy another rolling pin, but I think that I may give it a stab.

Do you think I should even attempt it? Fondant is one of the most unforgiving substances known to man.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its worth a try. it will be fun even if it is the ugliest thing you have ever made. Don't forget the pictures for us to see!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Its worth a try. it will be fun even if it is the ugliest thing you have ever made. Don't forget the pictures for us to see!
Yes, but it's going to be expensive. I'd buy the tools slowly (the slab is going to be the most expensive part), so it won't be for a while.

Also, I'm not going to make the stuff... that's just a bit much. I'll order it online.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big of a slab do you need. Ikind of have some conections with a granite place (I know 2 people lthat work there and one owes me a favor) if you are willing to pay the shipping I might be able to get you some of the sink cut outs polished and pretty if you are willing to pay the shipping.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How big of a slab do you need. Ikind of have some conections with a granite place (I know 2 people lthat work there and one owes me a favor) if you are willing to pay the shipping I might be able to get you some of the sink cut outs polished and pretty if you are willing to pay the shipping.
I have one set aside at a baking supply store. Normally she doesn't let people put things on layaway, but she knows me well enough that I'm allowed.

DH doesn't know yet.

Thank you so much for your offer! I really appreciate it!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those cakes are really pretty. I just don't know how they make that stuff look so smooth! I find it hard enough to wrap a round gift with wrapping paper let alone some play-doh type stuff!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Those cakes are really pretty. I just don't know how they make that stuff look so smooth! I find it hard enough to wrap a round gift with wrapping paper let alone some play-doh type stuff!
It's all about temperature and pressure. A baker I am friends with says it's like trying to roll out frozen pizza dough.

Can you believe that some people actually make that stuff? That's a talent that I don't even understand!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make it look so easy on Food Net but I know it isn't, they sell Fondant right at Michael's, I have always thought of it but I'm not that talented. Let us know how it goes

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never get better at anything unless you try and keep trying and practice, practice, practice.

In order to get better at cake decorating you need to practice. Make some icing and turn a bowl upside down and decorate it. Eventually you get the hang of it. It's important to have the proper tools such as a good cake decorating kit. Plus a good book with some instructions and lots of pictures helps a great deal too.

Anyone can learn to decorate a cake. Just keep at it

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to bake too and I believe that my frostings and icings are good!!! BUT, I can't ice a cake worth a ....you know what I mean!!!

If you can do it Heather, then I promise, I'll try...after you!!!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey, I totally think you should try it out, its clearly something you *want* to be able to do. And who knows, cake gods may be smiling upon you

Personally though, I prefer cakes with gooey not-smooth icing!