Strange Things One Finds When Unpacking Boxes

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm holding up my end of the deal. I'm going through the boxes and listing in this thread all the weird stuff I find as proof that I'm accomplishing things and to add amusement to your lives.

Night 1:

I unpacked 2 garbage bags and 1 box.
Some of the items I found included:

A parking pass for my dorm my senior year in college...3 years ago.

Brian's Eagle Scout card that he used to carry in his wallet.

2 birthday cards, addressed to people I don't even remember, that I never sent.

Every registration card ever issued to me for my last car.

A strange drawing of Gandalf that Brian claims to have done in the 5th grade.

Approx. 5 million script ideas scribbled on cocktail napkins.

A collapsable frisbee. (I didn't even know they MADE those!)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heh i vote mail the cards and see if you get a response.

and hmm i found a half a bottle of diet pespi. and burger king bag(which i was to scared to open)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wait to see what else you find.

You may have a burried treasure in there.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

I'm holding up my end of the deal. I'm going through the boxes and listing in this thread all the weird stuff I find as proof that I'm accomplishing things and to add amusement to your lives.

Night 1:

I unpacked 2 garbage bags and 1 box.
Some of the items I found included:

A parking pass for my dorm my senior year in college...3 years ago.

Brian's Eagle Scout card that he used to carry in his wallet.

2 birthday cards, addressed to people I don't even remember, that I never sent.

Every registration card ever issued to me for my last car.

A strange drawing of Gandalf that Brian claims to have done in the 5th grade.

Approx. 5 million script ideas scribbled on cocktail napkins.

A collapsable frisbee. (I didn't even know they MADE those!)
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Sounds like all good purge items... keep up the good work!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
No! Not all of them. The script ideas should go in Brian's "plot bunny farm" folder, and he should get to keep his eagle scout card (and the Gandalf drawing if it means that much to him).

Collapsable frisbee? I've never even managed to figure out what you do with a frisbee. Makes no sense at all to me.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Just wait to see what else you find.

You may have a burried treasure in there.
They do - all those plot bunny napkins!

The next Lord of the Rings could be in there.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

heh i vote mail the cards and see if you get a response.

and hmm i found a half a bottle of diet pespi. and burger king bag(which i was to scared to open)
You are so funny! It's hard to imagine that you were too scared to even have a tiny peek.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you found the kinds of things that I'm packing right now!
I've already packed my melted VW sign, cracked indicator case and a stack of napkin notes and scribbles!

These goodies will stay with me for life!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a diary from when I was 10, and all my history notes from my first year at university! Also every single one of my monthly pay advice notices from my 20s (forty years ago!). I am trying now to be brave and throw out some really outdated textbooks and old dog-eared novels that not even a charity shop would accept. People are divided into hoarders and minimalists, and I am the former. It sounds like Brian is too!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a pack rat too, I save a lot of stuff, sometimes I get in a mood (not often) and I will go through my plastic containers and I will throw some stuff out (not much though).

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I found a diary from when I was 10, and all my history notes from my first year at university! Also every single one of my monthly pay advice notices from my 20s (forty years ago!). I am trying now to be brave and throw out some really outdated textbooks and old dog-eared novels that not even a charity shop would accept. People are divided into hoarders and minimalists, and I am the former. It sounds like Brian is too!
That's really neat! What a story all those things must tell. When you decide to "clean house" maybe put together a scrap book (or memory chest) with some examples to remember the whole by - you can always take photos or make a list of the rest so that you can always have them "with" you.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One area I should tackle again is our file cabinet in the basement-I'm sure I have instructions to items I no longer own.
I'm not too much of a hoarder-I've been working on reducing the amount of "stuff" I have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight my plan is to tackle the little 2 drawer filing cabinet so I can make room for all the paperwork I know is in some of the boxes to come. I bought some new hanging files and labels.

I also have my eye on a box in the bedroom that I know can be seperated into 2 stacks: stuff to be filed and charity items.

This feels so GOOD. I've just been staring at this junk for so long, but breaking it up into managable chunks and kind of making it a TCS "game" really makes me have the get up and go to do it. Thanks guys!

PS: Don't worry, the Gandalf picture, the Eagle Scout card, and the script ideas are all tucked away somewhere safe now.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing so well, keep up the good work!

You're also making me feel guilty about not having done anything about my boxes, I could do with a kick up the backside....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still going to try to get the same amount done tonight, but now I have an addition to my list.

Our GIANT cat tree that we bought for Anya (and her new baby sister soon to come) is "out for delivery" according to the package tracking system. Woo-HOO! I'll be putting that together tonight as well.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeling very guilty and lazy! You made a goal and you are working toward it...I am impressed. I, too, have boxes that haven't been unpacked since I moved into my house 9/05. One very large is still sitting on the kitchen counter. Fortunately it is sort of hidden, but it is still there and I have no idea what I will find when I open it. Maybe something I have been looking for since I moved in. Okay, I am inspired and will tackle my kitchen box this weekend! Keep up the good work...

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

Wow, a collapsable frisbee? Never heard of one of those before
Probably so they don't hit someone on the head and hurt as much as a normal frisbee.

Isn't it fun packing? I have a couple of boxes in the other bedroom that need to be unpacked but they are mostly scrapbooking stuff and I need to buy some kind of storage for it. Oh well.

Have fun with the packing!