Any ProActiv users?

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had a problem with acne until around may/june it got real bad and hasn't gotten any better. So I broke down the other day and ordered ProActiv. I'm cheap so it was a big deal, but hey if it works... lol Soo I was wondering if anyone uses it and if so has it worked well and how long did it take to notice a difference? I just started it this morning and I'm impatient. lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just started using the Costco version of it a few months back. I've had acne all my life and now that I'm in my mid 40's, I started getting really sick of it (bad skin in my family - my dad had it until he died).

It's helped more than anything else I have tried and I've tried just about all of them. If I do get blemishes, they clear up faster. I did notice that I can't use the moisturizing step (3) or I break out even more. But I've never been able to use moisturizers in my life. Murad products are my second choice.

If you have a Costco by you, their products are less expensive than Proactiv and you can buy them when you need them rather than having them send you refills every 3 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we don't have a costco here but proactiv has an option now that when you have an account you can set it to when you need then to send you refills instead of the 3 months. I just hope this really works well!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck and I hope it works for you.I thought about getting it for my 16 year old Daughter.But, decided to try some Wal-Mart stuff instead. I'm cheap too.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My firend has been using it for about a month now and her skin is looking amazing!! it is totally fading all the scarring and she almost has no break outs now
if it wasn't so expensive I would buy it to try, i started my adult acne around when I turned 25
but I found that Avon's Mark line of facial cleansers, it's called Let's Be Clear I think, worked wonders for me, good luck with it!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used it for about a year back in 1998 and it worked incredibly well. After a year though for some reason (I'm guessing my skin type changed) it stopped working

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been fortunate to not have trouble with acne...only because my skin is the polar opposite - I have severely dry skin. I have to slap heavy Nivea cream on my face and neck every night so I don't turn into a prune!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I used it for about a year back in 1998 and it worked incredibly well. After a year though for some reason (I'm guessing my skin type changed) it stopped working
That's what happened to me- it stopped working after about a year.

But you have to be really patient when you first start- it takes about 2-4 weeks to really start working.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used it for a while is High School. I loved it. It really cleared my skin up. I never had a big problem with acne but I was having more break outs than usual. My mom ordered it. I never used the lotion. Justthe wash and the toner. And I like the pore refining mask for spot treatments. Great stuff.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used it and I hated it. It broke me out worse than I was before, dried my skin out to no end. It was aweful.

I then discovered chemical peels, and other tricks of the trade. My skin is clear, and the red marks are finally fading.

I think a lot of my acne though had to do with the make up I was wearing. I don't wear it anymore that's for sure.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

I have used it and I hated it. It broke me out worse than I was before, dried my skin out to no end. It was aweful.
Me too - If you have normal to dry skin - this is NOT for you it makes it worse much worse !!! If you have oily skin - this is for you!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to check either QVC or HSN. For some reason I think that one of them sells Proactiv. I have never used the line, but I have heard good things about it. As others have suggested, you could also check the ingredients and then look for a generic version. There are usually good options out there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to use it. It deffinately did make a difference, but nothing has ever cleared up my skin completely. I stoped getting it when I quit my job in college. Sometimes I consider getting it again, but I'm doing 'ok' with my current products. My only problem with it was that it bleached my washcloths. But who sees them really ya kniow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I've been using it for a little over a month now and it's helped a lot, I still have a spot on my left cheek that hasn't cleared up yet, but it will
So far I'm more happy with this than with anything I have been trying.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never have tried it...at my age, I don't worry about acne anymore...

My question is however...why does a ProActiv ad (with Jessica Simpson & Vanessa Williams) pop up whenver I click on this thread? Is this happening to anyone else here? Strange.

Hilda >^..^<

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I used to use it. It deffinately did make a difference, but nothing has ever cleared up my skin completely. I stoped getting it when I quit my job in college. Sometimes I consider getting it again, but I'm doing 'ok' with my current products. My only problem with it was that it bleached my washcloths. But who sees them really ya kniow?
It bleached my pillowcases too...that was upsetting.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It also has bleached my bathroom mats if I drip a drop of water that is mixed with proactiv on it by accident while washing my face which is frustrating, but the stuff works! I have been using it for 3 years now and with the exception of minor break outs around "that time"
its helped.

I changed my cycle of receiving it though to 10 weeks - it lasts a long time IMO.

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It helped me about 50% in the beginning, and now its tapered off. I developed adult acne at 18 and still have it at 28. It's hormone related, and birth control made it worse. Now I just deal. I'd like to stop using Proactiv, but people keep giving it to me! I haven't bought any in 2 years, but still have bottles of the stuff. I use it about every other day or so. I want to look into laser treatments but don't think I can afford it right now.