What Is Wrong With Gizmo?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noted that Gizmo was using her box for poos but no pee balls have been appearing there for two days now.

Then I saw her pawing the side of a kitty nest that has been by the door for some time.

Sure enough, it's saturated with pee. She must have been using it for some time.

I don't want to lose this cat, but I work twelve hours a day and do NOT have time to deal with issues like this. There's been no change in food, hours, litter, or anything else!

The litter probably needs a change, it's been three weeks, but again this is nothing unusual and it's not dirty in the bathroom. Please advise!

I can't put Feliway near the spot where the nest was since it is in the opposite end of the corridor where the bathroom is. She might not pee or poo in the box at all?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Oberon did this when he had a partial urinary tract blockage. He used the litter box again once he started getting treatment.

I think Gizmo's telling you he needs a trip to the vet. Good luck.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. What's a kitty nest?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would say it could be something that should be checked out by a vet. Let us know how it progresses.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her to the vet...the fact that she is doing poo's in her box but not pees could be a sign of UTI.

That's what Reilly did when he had one.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im just agreeing with the others. Anytime, a cat changes its pee/poo routine, they need to get to the Dr.

Let us know what the Dr says about Gizmo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately for Gizmo, she just wanted a clean litter box. She doesn't have any UTIS and has no other problems. After she got a lecture on what was going to happen to her if she did not behave, she used her box to pee in.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add a second box. Cats are not accustomed to having to poop and urinate in the same place. Instinctively, it is not safe. Gizmo just needs a second box once you add one, you will see one box will only contain urine, the other solid waste.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no room in this apartment for a second box. Gizmo has a very, very large litterbox that just manages to fit under the sink.
She's been accustomed to using it for both functions for a year, and I'm not changing it now.

The 'kitty nest' I mentioned earlier was a round cloth bed with raised sides that a neighbour gave us. No one else will be using it now--it was trashed last night.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

.. 'kitty nest' I mentioned earlier was a round cloth bed with raised sides that a neighbour gave us. No one else will be using it now--it was trashed last night.
Thanks for explaining that. Maybe a very small litter box would work, where the nest was? Hope things are working out.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I would take her to the vet...the fact that she is doing poo's in her box but not pees could be a sign of UTI.

That's what Reilly did when he had one.
Pixel, too. but then i've also had them change their routines when the litterbox was not as fresh as they would like. that's one of the reasons i like having the littermaids - the boxes stay fresher. glad to hear that was evidently Gizmo's problem, & not a UTI!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not putting a litterbox, even a small one, right by my front door!

Gizmo left a pee ball in the box tonight. She's always used only one litterbox, and she'll continue to do so.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I am not putting a litterbox, even a small one, right by my front door!

Gizmo left a pee ball in the box tonight. She's always used only one litterbox, and she'll continue to do so.
I am sorry but you cannot "make" her do what you want. I would have LOVED for my cats to have only used the amount of litter boxes that was convenient to me, for MANY reasons. But it didnt work out that way. I have 7 litter boxes that i had to add to help with a pooing outside the box problem.

I wish I didnt have to have 7 boxes. But that is what my cats need, so thats what they get. It really seems like you are not wanting a solution except one that will fit to your benefit. If that is the case, then dont complain when she pees outside the box.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gizmo does need a vet visit to rule out uti ... and I too cant tell my girls what to do ...lol.. for 18 yrs one has been stating two boxes of ex large size with 4 to 5 inches of litter... For Gizmos sake please realize occationally youll be inconveinced in this pet parenthood

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing I would do is clean the box more often. If you read about Toe Man you would understand why it is important to bring your cat to a vet with changes in urination.

I am sure you can fit a small box in the bedroom and if you scoop it often (takes 2 minutes) it won't smell. I have a small apartment also & I found room for another box.

Best wishes.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you a covered box? I put these where it might not be 'nice' to have a litter box and it works well - they don't smell and most people never notice them.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo is fine.
She is leaving pee balls in the box the way she has always done.
She'll continue to use one litterbox the way she always has.
I find some of the comments here positively insulting. I am not bringing my cat to the vet before checking to see if it was simply a litter issue. It was.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You asked for help - did you only expect to get answers that fit your preconceived ideas? The help was given freely with good intentions, and caring about your cat, who's the focus of interest on this forum. If all you want her to do is conform to your ways, regardless of her needs, I feel sorry for her.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to have to agree with most of the other posters, Gizmo needs to see a vet, cats cannot tell us when something is wrong, so they act out in away that gets our attention. How long until she finds another place to relieve herself? I think finding another place to put a litterbox would be easier to deal with then having your carpet ruined/apartment stunk up, but that's just MO. if you work 12 hours a day and "do not have time to deal with this" then perhaps you should not have a cat. I work 7 days a week, anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day, have 8 cats, 8 leukemia positive cats, 2 senior dogs and a rat and somehow I find time to "deal" with my cats' medical issues as well as their basic care. if i remember correctly, in the past you have always been a big proponent of taking a cat to the vet if a problem arose, why can you not follow your own advice?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, that about tears it. I'm tired of self appointed 'experts' telling me that I don't deserve to own a cat.
Have fun playing, I've got much better things to do with my time.

Bye!