Does flushable litter clog the toilet?

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I want to start using flushable litter (such as World's Best). But I was reading some reviews and some people stated that even though it states it's flushable, they've had problems with it ruining their septic tank.

So I wanted to know if anyone's toilet has ever been broken by flushing the litter?

Any comments would be great. Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They claim it doesn't but I don't take the chance on any of the "flushable" litters - just put it in a paper/plastic bag and put it in the trash. Unless you want to risk plumbing problems.

I do know that if you have a septic tank, you'd better NOT do it!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have flushable litter (also our plumbing systems might be different here in the UK). But... when we clean we put the little pressies that the kitties leave us in the toilet with little bits of the flushable litter and it goes down just fine. The rest of the sawdust that the pellets break down to, we put in a the refuse at the end of the week. We don't risk putting the whole lot down the toilet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am going to try to flush just the poo clumps (they smell the worst
). The urine clumps I fear might cause some trouble if I flush.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are never supposed to flush the entire box down the toilet! Yes, that would block the plumbing beautifully!

Only the pee and poo clumps go in the john with Nature's Miracle, and this eighty year old building (with very wonky plumbing) has suffered no ill effects. There is no reason why the urine clumps should cause trouble.

Never flush clay litter, even if it says it is 'flushable'. Only the organic litters truly are.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are using feline pine and I just flush the poo since their pee breaks down to saw dust and I just bag it and toss it in the garage can. It's biodegradable so technically, I could use it for flower beds but I'm going to pass on that. Never tried other kinds but pet store workers doesn't recommend it if it's not organic litter to flush even if the bag labels "flushable".

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Feline pine too....i flush the poo. I have the feline pine litter box so its a breeze to empty the bottom in a trash bag and throw it away.
I have always poured a bottle of ammonia in our toilets once a month. A plumber told me to do that long ago...just have continued the habit.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried flushable a long time ago and didn't have a clogging problem, but it seemed sort of clumsy - it would splash going in. Maybe I'm the clumsy one.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used clumping flushable litter for what seemed like forever without a problem. However a few months ago, everything got stopped up and a plumber had to come out and dig up some pipes in our yard. The problem? The clumping litter had been getting caught a little at a time and finally blocked a main pipe. Apparently, over time, it turns to cement!! The entire pipe had to be removed and replaced!!
Now I just keep a box of freezer bags next to the litter box. The daily waste goes into those, gets sealed up and put into the trash. No smell....no clogged pipes!!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used Cat's Pride flushable litter and didn't have a problem. We do not have a septic tank however. I wouldn't use it even if we did. The problem was that it was really dusty and made a mess so once it was time to be changed I stopped using it. I went out and bought a Petmate Litter Locker and it's been a great solution so far.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that if your toilet is prone to clogging easily then you probably shouldn't use it, especially if you have old plumbing.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are in California, I wouldn't recommend flushing at all. A new law just passed there that requires litters to discourage people from flushing them. Apparently a microorganism commonly found in cat feces (Toxoplasma gondii--the same one that pregnant women should avoid) is getting into the oceans and killing the sea otters.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whc/se...esources.shtml

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Since you are in California, I wouldn't recommend flushing at all. A new law just passed there that requires litters to discourage people from flushing them. Apparently a microorganism commonly found in cat feces (Toxoplasma gondii--the same one that pregnant women should avoid) is getting into the oceans and killing the sea otters.

thank you for sharing, I didn't know about that!

And thank you everyone for your repsonses. I'll be refraining from flushing the litter. I can't stand a clogged toilet-- nasty.

The reason why I wanted to start flushing the litter is because I am going to be living on the third floor of an apartment building and the trash dumpster is FAR AWAY. I use plastic bags and tie them, but somehow I still smell the odor. I am thinking of trying a litter locker.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the LitterLocker, but instead I usually just line a litter bucket with a plastic bag, and take that out when it is full. That way, I don't have to deal with daily bags, and the lid keeps most, if not all, of the oder inside the bucket.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Wow I never thought of this. I mean, I knew about Toxoplasma but never thought of it killing critters of the sea.