TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Things just get stranger and stranger
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things just get stranger and stranger

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Ok as we all know when buying a car either new or used there are always little quirks you have to figure out. And this car has had its fair share of them in the past week as my other posts pointed out. Well here is another one. Well within 24hrs of owning this car I noticed that the CD player was shot. I can not describe how it sounded when a cd was in it...Almost sounded cackly and the sound seemed to fade in and out a minute or 2 after I push play. Radio played fine and because it had a tape deck (that works) I figured I would just play the MP3 player through the tape deck till I was ready to buy an after market cd player.Then hubby says Wed. he is going to the junk yard (big one out of state) and that he will pull some delco radios to see if any of those have a cd player that works. I was like ok and proceeded to check online for the stock number and how to retrieve the code to lock or unlock or should I say enable or disable the theft system in it (did I mention this car has to many of these theft systems). So I got to thinking I wonder if the theft system is why the cd player was messed up. So I go outside in the wet and cold to put the codes in to disable that whole system. And so far the cd player seems to work now. So I will go with it.

Side note: I will still tell hubby to get a few because they are so cheap just in case.
post #2 of 13
Yes there are quirks. I bought a used 1992 Honda Prelude. One day I set the clock and drove to work I glanced over and it was going crazy! Turning minutes and hours. It reset every time I started the car. The radio turned down when you tried to turn it up and sometimes didn't even come one. After market radios are the best!
post #3 of 13
Good lord you guys. What will happen next????
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom View Post
Yes there are quirks. I bought a used 1992 Honda Prelude. One day I set the clock and drove to work I glanced over and it was going crazy! Turning minutes and hours. It reset every time I started the car. The radio turned down when you tried to turn it up and sometimes didn't even come one. After market radios are the best!
My honda clock does that too..It blinks on and off
post #5 of 13
I used to drive an older Thunderbird that had a digital dashboard, and the speedometer kept going out...I'd just give it a thud, and then I was back in business!
post #6 of 13
We had a '63 Caddy when I was in middle school (yes, with the big wings coming out the back and no seatbelts) and it did not have a digital anything. But the little knobby thing that worked the radio would come off, and if you didn't put it back on right then you would never know what station it was at... it also had a clock in the dash with an hour and a minute hand that you had to set yourself!

Don't be mad at the technology, it's just the same story whether its computerized or not... just harder to fix!
post #7 of 13
I've heard those anti-theft devices can mess with things. One girl I knew got the remote start to her car (with the anti-theft installed) and I guess if you're not careful during installation the alarms can go off easily.

Needless to say that she went to use the remote start and sure enough the alarms went off.

Also, I had an 88 Cougar with windshields that would randomly wipe. I wouldn't press the trigger or anything and it would go once. I just told people my car was haunted.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Well took the car for a shortish drive to see how the cd player plays off disabling the theft lock. Well I noticed 2 thinks 1) one when I turn a corner for a sec. it will make those funny sounds than stop 2) when I hit a good size rut the same thing will happen. So I am now convinced something is loose inside the radio or the wires are loose. Right now I am seriously considering making the investment for a XM radio. The price for the unit is pretty cheap (40.00 - 90.00 range is what I see) and just paying 13.00 a month for service. Than I can listen to all the 70's and 80's music commercial free and no more burning cds. So I can see saving money on it. Hmmm things to consider.
post #9 of 13
DH had a 1985 Ford Escort (I named the car Beauty) that had some interesting issues. First the roof of the car was dented so water would collect up there. Well when it would turn to ice, as things do in winter in NE Ohio, he would slam on his breaks and a sheet of ice would rocket off the top of the car. It was like a hidden weapons system. If someone cut him off... *SLAM* the back of their car got an ice sheet thrown at it.

The same car also had a wiper fluid nozzle that fired away from the car. He could use this to spray the car next to him. This was also used when someone either cut him off, or laughed at his car.

The last oddity of Beauty was that she only had one window crank. So if you wanted to open any of the windows in the car you had to play the "Pass the Crank Game." It had it's own song. Here are the lyrics:

"Oh I want to smoke. Oh I want to smoke. Can I please have the crank? Can I please have the crank?" You had to clap your hands after the last word.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
lookingglass that is just to funny. Now I have the mental image of someone getting cut off and a sheet of ice flying at them. To fuuny.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
DH had a 1985 Ford Escort (I named the car Beauty) that had some interesting issues. First the roof of the car was dented so water would collect up there. Well when it would turn to ice, as things do in winter in NE Ohio, he would slam on his breaks and a sheet of ice would rocket off the top of the car. It was like a hidden weapons system. If someone cut him off... *SLAM* the back of their car got an ice sheet thrown at it.

The same car also had a wiper fluid nozzle that fired away from the car. He could use this to spray the car next to him. This was also used when someone either cut him off, or laughed at his car.

The last oddity of Beauty was that she only had one window crank. So if you wanted to open any of the windows in the car you had to play the "Pass the Crank Game." It had it's own song. Here are the lyrics:

"Oh I want to smoke. Oh I want to smoke. Can I please have the crank? Can I please have the crank?" You had to clap your hands after the last word.

:lmao: OMG that is so funny!!

A friend of mine in HS had a car that when you turned the corner the wipers would come on.

I can't stop laughing at the wiper fluid and ice sheets!!
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom View Post

A friend of mine in HS had a car that when you turned the corner the wipers would come on.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
lookingglass that is just to funny. Now I have the mental image of someone getting cut off and a sheet of ice flying at them. To fuuny.
The best moment in Beauty was when we ran into my Ex. I dated a doctor before I met DH, and he was really self centered and materialistic. He pulled up next to us in his brand new BMW and started laughing at me. At that very moment DH fired the wiper nozzle and sprayed him down with fluid. He was so mad I thought he was going to scream. We sped off (I use this term very loosely, because Beauty never got much above 50mph) and laughed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Things just get stranger and stranger