House that threw up... any ideas?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking at this neat house, but the problem is that it looks like the front door threw up stairs. Does anyone have ideas on fixing this?

I think I'd like to rip out the stairs and install a landing or small porch, then put stairs either to the side or straight down.

Any designers out there? It's a neat house and the price has gone way down (from $419K to $355K CDN) I think, because of this unfortunate feature.

Does it look too much like the house in The Amityville Horror? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The house threw up stairs!!!
That's so funny I never would have thought of that!

Well what I would do...no designer here ya know-just a gardener...I'd put flowering plants all up and down those lovely stairs! That would be a quick fix if you didn't want to get into ripping stairs out and all. Of course, I do love a nice porch, so maybe that would be the way to go for you.

Good luck!

Hilda >^..^<

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would be too much to redo the entry. You could keep steps (the door looks a little high) and just to a porch type deal with steps instead of a tiny landing with a huge step at the bottom.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does remind me of the Amity house! I would rip the stairs out like you said. The walkway looks narrow too. I would do something there also.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

(the door looks a little high)
Yep, I noticed that too. There is a window waaay down below on the left hand side of the pic...is that a basement?

Hilda >^..^<

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno....I really like the stairs!
Those "ugly" features like that are what get me.....

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I would tear out the walk way too and do a stepping stone/ flagstone type path. But I would do curvy lines. The arch above the door makes everything look funny too. Like it isn't centered. Still a cute little house though!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Yep, I noticed that too. There is a window waaay down below on the left hand side of the pic...is that a basement?

Hilda >^..^<
It's the window to the secret closet just like in the Amityville Horror house

Yea, I like the flowers and such. Maybe add some railings or paint the stairs a different color..something that compliments the green more.

Or even extend part of the porch so that it isn't too symmetrical.

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is easy, if you get the house get rid of the steps. You could put a great porch on the front of that house.

Good luck, L.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest puting potted plants in a straight line down to the walkway on each side of the door, it will give it a simitry rather than an odd looking round staircase with a square house.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the looks of that house, I would just repaint the door, I think it is a real neat house.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just add big stable vases on the side with all year round flowers and plants then it would look awsome!

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I would just add big stable vases on the side with all year round flowers and plants then it would look awsome!

I might also paint the stairs another color... but I think the stairs make it look very unique!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I suggest puting potted plants in a straight line down to the walkway on each side of the door, it will give it a simitry rather than an odd looking round staircase with a square house.
I love this idea! I'd do this if you don't want to spend the money on a porch.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The steps seem to be out of synch with the rest of the architecture. Maybe you can do some research on other Dutch Gambrel houses and see what they have.

I, personally, would add a porch and landing. I think I would get a feeling of vertigo with
those steps.

Yes, it does remind me of the Amityville Horror house!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

It's the window to the secret closet just like in the Amityville Horror house
OMG, don't say that!

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions so far! That window on the bottom left is for the first floor/basement suite. The house is listed as a three-story instead of two with basement; I don't know why. Probably because that's what the Amityville house is.

You can only buy 2- or maybe 3-bedroom fixer-uppers here for $350 CDN. This one is 3 bedrooms plus family room and 3 baths (one bdrm and one bath are the separate suite), so it's a good deal.

Mmm, maybe too good... maybe I should research its history. Three-storey houses creep me out a bit; when I was a kid I thought the third storey was always haunted!

More suggestions are welcomed!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went back and looked at the pic and it occurs to me that those large bricks (or whatever) are out of scale and too "heavy" for the house. A frame porch is what that frame house needs.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
make an appt with Suzy (the realitor on the sign). Let her take you through. Look it up online. And go to wherever you would find out who has owned it and if anything has ever happened there. I think its a great deal!