Sorry, More food questions

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have posted before about trying to transition Brandon my male cat over to wet food completely. It has not worked. The only wet food he will eat is fish, no matter how I disguise it. He hates it. In the fall the vet said he needed to loose a couple of pounds. He weighed 16.4 pounds and she wants him to be around 14 pounds. I suggested to the vet trying to switch him to wet and she agreed although she had no problem with his having canned fish all the time. That bothers me, which brings me to you again for your opinions. I am concerned about his weight and also want to prevent crystals developing in his urine (I've seen many posts in this forum recently and it scares me). I am presently feeding Brandon: 3/4 -1 cup daily of Innova Evo Dry daily which has 0.10% magnesium and 9.93% ash. He also eats maybe 3-4 tbsp daily of Natural Balance Tuna with Shrimp canned which containes 0.025% magnesium. I feed both of my cats twice a day. My questions are:

1. Should I stop the Tuna Shrimp canned and feed only Evo dry? Is this enough fish to hurt him?
2. Am I feeding him too much? He literally devours what I give him and never seems full. I noticed on another thread that some of you are feeding a lot less dry food than I am. Thank you!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

1. Should I stop the Tuna Shrimp canned and feed only Evo dry? Is this enough fish to hurt him?
2. Am I feeding him too much? He literally devours what I give him and never seems full. I noticed on another thread that some of you are feeding a lot less dry food than I am. Thank you!
I can't answer #1, but about #2...since he is a heavier cat he will need more food than most cats of average weight. If you do decide to decrease the amount, you will need to do it very gradually. Hope that helps a little.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only say no fish to cats known to have UTI issues ... I would give more wet ... try foods with fish in them but not the primary ingrediant ... ie
chicken chicken broth turkey cod

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are prone to crystals. Others aren't. Feeding fishy foods has been correlated with some cats having urinary issues, but most are fine. I fed Odo exclusively canned food that had fish every day for a couple of months until he stomach decided to be sensitive to it. He never had urinary problems as a result (he just threw it up every couple of days). My boyfriend's cat, however, developed a blockage after never eating canned food--he was on Precise dry for almost his entire life. One day he just blocked. I noticed the problem when I cam over and the cat was trying to pee on the floor. There was no sign of problems prior to that, and we were able to get him to a vet in time to prevent any permanent damage.

What does the bag for EVO say about quantities of food? If you are feeding him just the EVO, you would want to feed the recommendation for a 14 pound cat in order to get him to lose weight. If you are feeding the canned food too, you will need to reduce the amount of EVO in proportion to the amount of canned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I have tried other quality canned foods that contain fish where the main ingredient is not fish and he won't touch it. He is extremely stubborn to say the least. Even mixing a tiny, tiny bit of another meat, into the canned fish food does not work He takes one sniff and lick and walks away every time. So, I guess I will continue with giving him the canned Tuna and Shrimp for now along with the EVO dry. I am feeding him the correct amount of dry according to the feeding guidelines for a 14 pound cat, which is his goal weight. If he will increase the amount of wet he eats, I will decrease the dry gradually. I hate to say it, but I don't think I put as much thought into what my son ate as a child as I do into what I feed my cats.