Is this healthy?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our friends has an older cat, which they've had since it was a baby. John was over there the other day and he said that instead of regular wet food, they give him tuna- everyday. He also gets dry food, as free feeding.
Is that much fish healthy for a cat? I told John it wasn't, but apparently Rudy (the cat) has been healthy eating that for a long time now.

I didn't think that much fish in a cat's diet was good for them? Or maybe I'm wrong? I was just curious anyways

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think that daily fish is a good idea. Esp. people tuna. If it was cat tuna, it would be a little better. It may seem like it isn't harming Rudy, but you never know....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that isn't healthy at all - I am surprised the cat is healthy, he is obviously eating quite a bit of dry food as tuna doesn't have enough of the right nutrients for a balanced diet, but one of the things that is lacking is taurine, and I dont know how long it takes for a taurine deficiency to show.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I think the mercury levels in tuna are bad for the cat also.
Thats what I thought!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is not a good all the time food ... try suggesting tuna cat food.. mecury isnt my worry but depleted and and e levals