New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Etiquette at cat shows

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I'm attending a cat show this weekend, the same one Nial (kai bengals) is attending. It will be my very first show and I'm very excited. My question is as an observer is there anything I should know before I attend are there rules that I need to know? I don't want to commit some terrible blunder while I'm there.

Thanks!
post #2 of 26
Show "rules":

1. Never pet a cat without the owners permission. Don't be offended if they don't want you to pet or ask that you wash your hands first. Petting one cat after another can transfer any respirtory germs.

You will notice that the judges spray the table and wipe off after each cat is judged - this cleans the table and also downplays the scent of the strange cat.

2. Don't talk to the judges when they are judging - ask questions when they are break for lunch.

3. Those carrying cats to the ring always have the right of way - please be respectful and step aside

4. If you want to talk to a breeder about thier cats, don't do it while they are grooming or getting their cats ready for the ring. Pick a time where they seem to be on a 'break"

5. If you don't understand the ribbons, ask quietly for a owner standing there watching what is going on. Briefly:

Blue ribbons mean first place in color.
Red - 2nd place
White - 3rd place
Yellow - 4th place (rare)

The red/white/blue or purple/white ribbons are for those cats who are "OPEN" and have not achieved the champion status.

Black ribbons are Best of Breed
Orange ribbons are 2nd BOB

After all the cats are judged, the judge will call back those cats he/she feels is the best examples of the breeds and gives out Best-10th Best Cat/Kitten/Alter/HHP.

Oh and all the HHP (household pets) get a red/white merit award.

Have fun
post #3 of 26
Just a slight correction on what GK mentioned. This is a TICA show and TICA ribbons are different.

There are 5 ribbons for best of color:

Blue: 1st place
Red: 2nd place
Yellow: 3rd
Green: 4th
White: 5th

Three ribbons for best of division
Black: 1st place
Purple: 2nd place
Orange: 3rd place

Best of breed is assigned by numbers
1 through 3.
post #4 of 26
Ok, CFA and ACFA use pretty much the same colors - but thanks for the correction on colors
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Show "rules":

1. Never pet a cat without the owners permission. Don't be offended if they don't want you to pet or ask that you wash your hands first. Petting one cat after another can transfer any respirtory germs.

You will notice that the judges spray the table and wipe off after each cat is judged - this cleans the table and also downplays the scent of the strange cat.

2. Don't talk to the judges when they are judging - ask questions when they are break for lunch.

3. Those carrying cats to the ring always have the right of way - please be respectful and step aside

4. If you want to talk to a breeder about thier cats, don't do it while they are grooming or getting their cats ready for the ring. Pick a time where they seem to be on a 'break"

5. If you don't understand the ribbons, ask quietly for a owner standing there watching what is going on. Briefly:

Blue ribbons mean first place in color.
Red - 2nd place
White - 3rd place
Yellow - 4th place (rare)

The red/white/blue or purple/white ribbons are for those cats who are "OPEN" and have not achieved the champion status.

Black ribbons are Best of Breed
Orange ribbons are 2nd BOB

After all the cats are judged, the judge will call back those cats he/she feels is the best examples of the breeds and gives out Best-10th Best Cat/Kitten/Alter/HHP.

Oh and all the HHP (household pets) get a red/white merit award.

Have fun
Thanks! But it actually sounds kind of scary. I feel like I might be in the way. I don't want to do that. Isn't there a sectioned off place or something like that for me?

What about pictures? Can I take them? Is there a certain time/place?
post #6 of 26
You won't be in the way - just that if you see a person heading to a ring and not the benching area, keep to the sides. Most times its plenty of room for exhibitor and spectators, but sometimes the aisles can get crowded - like for finals - everyone wants to see the winning cats.

If you get a catalog or can see the show schedule and keep an eye on the rings, you could go and get an early seat and watch the judging or finals. Otherwise you wind up standing in the back or sides of the rings.

Taking pictures is fine - I've never run into a problem
post #7 of 26
You'll be fine Eva. Plenty of room for everyone.
When you get to the show, walk around until you see our benching area.
The top of our show cages will be decorated with pics of our cats and you'll see our sign that now says: Meridian Cattery. Our show cages are white with green covers/curtains.
We are supposed to be benched next to Bluewater Bengals. So if you see them, we should be right there.

Teri and I will be happy to fill you in on how things work at the show. You won't be in the way at all, we all enjoy the spectators and most of the exhibitors are more than happy to talk to you about their cats and about the show.
Besides, I'm looking foward to hearing all your Takoda stories!
post #8 of 26
How many of your bengals are you showing?

What's the verdict on trying some of the "brown" shampoos on the brown tabby bengals? Have you tried it yet?
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
How many of your bengals are you showing?

What's the verdict on trying some of the "brown" shampoos on the brown tabby bengals? Have you tried it yet?
We're showing Jack in adult class. Miss Spotty paws and It's No Illusion in kitten class.

I tried some shampoo from John Frieda, brilliant brunette shine release. Didn't work too well. If anything the cat looks less shiny. Maybe this was the wrong stuff to use. I wasn't impressed.
I'm going to order the stuff you suggested and try that. Won't hurt to give it a shot.

Miss Spotty got a bath with the simply silver. I couldn't tell any difference on her, but then she's not as contrasted as Jack. She really enjoyed her bath though. She waded around in the chest deep water and had a great time trying to get the stopper out of the drain.

If nothing else, I guess the bathing is something they seem to enjoy. My brown spotted boy didn't even want to get out of the tub. I handed him off to my wife to be dried and he escaped and jumped back in.
post #10 of 26
Now see how much you've DEPRIVED your bengals of the fun of water and bathing

Shame on you! You thought they would not like it and give you a hard time

I'd get the Kenic stuff from Jefferspet
post #11 of 26
I went to my first cat show as a spectator not so long ago, and loved it. You won't be in the way. It's not difficult to tell when people are busy and wouldn't welcome an interruption at that point.

The one I went to there was a smoking area (away from the main hall and cats) and I found that quite a good relaxed place to talk to people, as you knew that if they were there they were having a break, and that was where I had the best conversations with people. That may not apply, but if there's a coffee bar or stall, that's a good place to catch people who are taking a break. Oh and pick up a catalogue - I rather stupidly thought it was too expensive to get one (it was a big show with a big catalogue) so we spent our time wandering round saying to each other 'what breed is that one then?' in hushed tones hoping not to appear too ignorant

I am sure you will have a great time
post #12 of 26
I just want to say how jealous I am that I'm not close enough to go to this show and see your Bengals myself - especially Jack. Good luck though and I'd love to see pictures, hint, hint.
post #13 of 26
Not to hijack the thread, but I used It's Showtime! Brown on Tobie, and it worked really well. I used the white (it's actually blue) on Sofia to bring out the white contrast in her coat, and her fur is really soft and shiny right now. I used their degreaser beforehand, too. Tobie's wasn't as shiny, but he's a longhair. I am guessing a lot has to do with the texture of the cat's fur to begin with. Sofia's fur looks great, though... so on a naturally smooth cat, I would recommend that brand (but it's not like I've tried a lot, just Pantene, which made Tobie's fur horrible). I got them online, and a three ounce sample was only $5, and came the day after I ordered it!

Anyway, about show etiquette, just don't bother someone grooming a cat or carrying a cat to a ring, and you'll be fine. Have fun, and take pictures of the Scottish Folds and Burmese, please.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Now see how much you've DEPRIVED your bengals of the fun of water and bathing

Shame on you! You thought they would not like it and give you a hard time
Yes, I'm a bad daddy

......and to think just this morning, when Impact bolted out the door into the backyard, I wouldn't let him stay out there to play in the wet leaves and dirt.

I need to lighten up...I can always give him a bath.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I just want to say how jealous I am that I'm not close enough to go to this show and see your Bengals myself - especially Jack. Good luck though and I'd love to see pictures, hint, hint.
I'm definitely taking my camera along for this one. I bet Eva is bringing her camera along too.
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
4 days left! Nial when are you and Teri heading out? It's a looooong drive.

Oh and I will definitely have my camera!
post #17 of 26
Don't forget to take pics of Abys both of you!!!! Please!!!
post #18 of 26
And Burmese, and Scottish Folds! And the biggest Maine Coon! And the prettiest HHP!
post #19 of 26
Shannon, you didn't say please!!!

Fingers crossed for Jack's BIS!!!!
post #20 of 26
I'm so glad to read this thread. I've never visited a cat show before but plan to attend as soon as I can figure out when and where they are having one here in Richmond, VA, so its good to know ahead of time what to expect and what to do/not do.

Good luck to all of you showing your cats!
post #21 of 26
Geez you guys are greedy.....what breed DON'T you want pics of at the upcoming shows this weekend?????

We'll take a few - I want to get some of the agility cats too And of course Charlie in his cage - I don't like to take pictures in the ring unless they final the cat
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by snosrap5 View Post
4 days left! Nial when are you and Teri heading out? It's a looooong drive.

Oh and I will definitely have my camera!
We're going to leave early friday morning. Jack got his claws trimmed back today. Took 3 vet techs to hold him down.

Yeah, he hates having his nails trimmed, but he's fine with a bath.....go figure.
post #23 of 26
Have you had Jack as a kitten? I can't imagine a cat so bad you need the vet tech to do the nails. I've had some hard to clip cats in my past, but never one that I couldn't do
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
We're going to leave early friday morning. Jack got his claws trimmed back today. Took 3 vet techs to hold him down.

Yeah, he hates having his nails trimmed, but he's fine with a bath.....go figure.

The funky mind of a Bengal! Have a safe drive! See you Saturday!
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Have you had Jack as a kitten? I can't imagine a cat so bad you need the vet tech to do the nails. I've had some hard to clip cats in my past, but never one that I couldn't do
We got him at 4.5 months and he's been evil about his nails the whole time.
He's very gentle about everything else, but something happened early on with his claws that upsets him to this day. The breeder we got him from, doesn't know or won't tell.
It's ok though, I can deal with that being his only problem area. Just have to pony up the funds for the Vet to trim him up. Since it's such a sore spot for him, I don't want him to look at us as the bad guys.

Bengals are extremely strong cats, so if they don't want you to do something, they often win that battle, unless you call in re-inforcements. Jack is 16 pounds of muscle and has experience in evading claw clipping, so he is really a challenge.

I won't lie, I secretly enjoy the fact that he's powerful enough to cause 3 vet techs trouble with the trimming, then when it's over he forgives them by purring and giving them a little love.

Even with his stubborness about the nail trimming, he's a favorite at the Vet's office.
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
Bengals are extremely strong cats, so if they don't want you to do something, they often win that battle, unless you call in re-inforcements. Jack is 16 pounds of muscle and has experience in evading claw clipping, so he is really a challenge.

Nial, that is so true!!!!!!!! It amazes me how strong Takoda is even as little as he is. I'm blessed that he will sleep through nail trims with out a peep. But pick him up and try to carry him, is so not going to happen.
Which doesn't bother me at all because I just ask him to go where I want him to go and he will normally lead the way.

He is such a snuggle bug as long as you are sitting down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding