Cover me ladies and gents...I'm going in.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Brian and I have officially lived in our apartment for a year this week. There are still boxes that have never been unpacked.
There are 3-4 in the bedroom, and I actually have a japanese screen in our dining area covering up 5-6 more.

Some of it is paperwork that I just need to create a filing system for. I do enough of that at work, so the last thing I want to do is touch my OWN paperwork when I get home.

Some of it is Brian's "goodies". He is such a packrat. Anyway, I'm hoping to organize his important and super sentimental stuff and get it out of sight.

Honestly, some of the boxes I don't even know what is in there.

Anyway, this is my plan. One box a night. TWO a night if it takes me less than 30 minutes to deal with the first one. I think I can get it done in a week's time. Maybe by next weekend I can take what I've deemed unnecessary with our other HUGE stack in our bedroom of charity items to the Goodwill down the street and get that out of my apartment as well.

Hold me to it guys! Don't let me slack off!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dont slack off, im holding u to this now
as long as u dont let me slack off on school work we got a deal
now no slacking off
u better get started

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that sounds like a good plan
You´ll be done in no time

one thing ..........oh I love opening boxes, maybe you could tell us what you find........awhh.......go on.....pleezze

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

one thing ..........oh I love opening boxes, maybe you could tell us what you find........awhh.......go on.....pleezze
That's not a bad idea! Maybe pick one really funny thing a night to post about, so we can rib Brian for his packrattiness. Obviously only do this if it makes it more fun, not if it makes it more of a chore.

(Plus, then we'll know for sure that you really did do a box that night).

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you! I have been here seven months now and I have boxes all over the place. Some of htem have been in store and I have not seen the insides for six years! But although I have started getting my books and library in order there are so many things I can't unpack until my kitchen is installed. And I don't yet have a wardrobe in my new bedroom (I am sleeping in what will be a guestroom) so my clothes are mostly still in boxes. Fortunately I live in old jeans here anyway. Moving is horrible, I am sure you agree.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha! You wouldn't happen to be related to my friend Guy in Detroit now would you?

I went to visit him in 2003 and he had been living in his apartment for more than a year. OMG! One of the bedrooms was being used as a storage room and he had so many boxes sitting in there that he never unpacked. Plus he had boxes in the dining room, on the kitchen stove and in the living room.

He couldn't get time off work while I was there, so I used my time during the day to unpack his stuff, clean his apartment and literally do over 50 loads of laundry (I'm not kidding! I did laundry 12 hours a day for 3 or 4 days!!! One load after another!). Some of the unpacked boxes had dirty laundry that he had stuffed in boxes at the old place when he was moving.

I've never seen anything like it!!!! LOL

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's get the job done vibes coming your way.

I HATE to unpack things too by the way.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

haha! You wouldn't happen to be related to my friend Guy in Detroit now would you?

I went to visit him in 2003 and he had been living in his apartment for more than a year. OMG! One of the bedrooms was being used as a storage room and he had so many boxes sitting in there that he never unpacked. Plus he had boxes in the dining room, on the kitchen stove and in the living room.

He couldn't get time off work while I was there, so I used my time during the day to unpack his stuff, clean his apartment and literally do over 50 loads of laundry (I'm not kidding! I did laundry 12 hours a day for 3 or 4 days!!! One load after another!). Some of the unpacked boxes had dirty laundry that he had stuffed in boxes at the old place when he was moving.

I've never seen anything like it!!!! LOL
OMG, that's hysterical! You're really a true friend.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always think if I didn't have my current profession I would become a professional organizer-I would have those boxes unpacked and put away in no time!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We've been here two years, and there are still a few boxes in the basement

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Originally Posted by Satai

That's not a bad idea! Maybe pick one really funny thing a night to post about, so we can rib Brian for his packrattiness. Obviously only do this if it makes it more fun, not if it makes it more of a chore.

(Plus, then we'll know for sure that you really did do a box that night).
You guys have a deal. I'll start a strange things in the boxes thread after I get started tonight.

Originally Posted by GailC

I always think if I didn't have my current profession I would become a professional organizer-I would have those boxes unpacked and put away in no time!!
Come help me Gail! Plleeeaase!?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you start unpacking, make sure you have some place for the items to go, like a filing cabinet, storage containers for memorabilia, etc. It's also motivational to have those containers/places ready for the stuff!

I also bring in the recycling bin, and a big trash can, so it's very easy to unpack and sort. (Actually, I do it before I pack.) Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaarrgh!!! Same situation here, we've been leaving here for over a year and it took me approximately eight months to find my (still unplayed) PS2

Having ten days off next week and hoping to get some of my boxes sorted as well as the spare room ready for Sonic

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only once moved & that was across the driveway to the newly built house.
I can't say I know the feeling, but I'd be more than happy to be your cheerleader!

C'mon Emily you can do it!!! Unpack those boxes! Go! Go! Go! Find some toys for Anya in there! Woo-hoo!!
Am I a dork or what?!?!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

You guys have a deal. I'll start a strange things in the boxes thread after I get started tonight.
Cool! Can't wait to see what you find.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a few boxes in my storage room that I FINALLY went thru last weekend.... we've been here almost 2 years! It was all crap that I obviously didn't need anymore, so ended up throwing it out anyways!

Good luck!