Annual Stool Samples for Asymptomatic Cats

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two very healthy 9 year old cats. They are indoors only and have been for their entire lives. They do not share litterpans or have contact with other kitties. They have both had negative stool samples as kittens/young adults, although not recently. I clean their litterpans daily and have never seen any worms or diarrhea - I have seen multiple types of worms, many times in my shelter work.

Usually when I take my kitties to the vets for check ups, they recommend stool samples and I usually refuse. This time, the vet snuck in that he would give me a bag and charge me for the sample "today" and then I could bring it in at my convenience (He did not ask if I was interested, just told me this is what he would do). The way he slipped it in, seemed sneaky to me. I go to a very large vet practice with 8 + vets who work there. I see a different vet everytime I go. Their main concern seems to be making money, from my multiple experiences there, not providing practical, evidence based medicine.

I am aware that even though my cats are at a very low risk for worms, it is not impossible for them to get them. Do most of your vets recommend annual stool samples like this clinic? My cats are incredibly important to me, however, since my clinic is so intent on making money, I am not always sure if they recommend things because it will help my cat, or if it is because they want a bigger bill. I have thought of going to a new vet clinic, however, the last few times I have made appointments, they have been for more urgent issues where finding a new vet would not be feasible.

I'm just curious how many of you out there have vets that recommend this. Is their a practical rationale for recommending this? Thanks.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't. My cats are indoor only, and I only bring in stool samples if there is a cause--such as one of them having diarrhea. If they have had fleas, however, they could be at risk for tapeworms. Even though mine are indoors, they have had fleas in the past. However, my vet usually just has me deworm them without checking a stool sample.

Unless you see signs of a problem, I don't see why stool samples would be necessary every year. Blood tests, however, are another story, and I would look into having senior panels done yearly on your cats--that kind of test can detect problems, like diabetes, kidney issues, and hyperthyroidism, early before signs become obvious.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my vet recommends a 'fecal float' every year. Eggs can be tracked in on shoes and worms can also come from food if you are not careful. Better safe than sorry, even with an indoor cat. (mine is)

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - it definitely doesn't hurt. Even indoor-only cats can get fleas and fleas cause tapeworms.

Especially as they get older, it's important to have parasite infections treated promptly so they don't go on to cause problems. A fecal float is quite inexpensive ($25 or so) and it's a good piece of information to have.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

I agree - it definitely doesn't hurt. Even indoor-only cats can get fleas and fleas cause tapeworms.

Especially as they get older, it's important to have parasite infections treated promptly so they don't go on to cause problems. A fecal float is quite inexpensive ($25 or so) and it's a good piece of information to have.
Ditto ...