Attn: People who feed raw...

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does this look okay to feed?

http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html

I am considering switching ZhaZha over to this if it looks okay. I simply can't deal with the smell of her stools.

I am feeding dry and canned maybe 2-3 times a week.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a good basic formula... I STRONGLY encourage you to do extensive research and find a vet with a like mind on nutrition...

may I ask what brands of food Zha Zha eats??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It is a good basic formula... I STRONGLY encourage you to do extensive research and find a vet with a like mind on nutrition...

may I ask what brands of food Zha Zha eats??
She has been on Innova, Innova Evo, Natural Balance and is now eating Felidae.
The Natural Balance made her very ill.

She really isn't big on canned either (but she needs to gain a few pounds) so I'm putting it and she will eat a little bit but not much. Once she is up to where she should be on weight I will be going to a dry diet.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I can tell you that my Molly has horrendous poops on every food (the food that worked best was Timberwolf Organics, but the poops were still stinky). I recently put her on RAW and now you can't smell anything. Granted, I haven't been in the room yet when she's taken a poop, but usually when she DOES take a poop, it wafts into every room and you can smell it at the other end of the house within 10 minutes, and that hasn't happened yet since she's been put on a raw diet.

I wouldn't recommend going back to dry, though. I think it'll wreak havoc on her system (cats and dogs will go through a detox period for the first week on a RAW food, which is basically diarrhea, until all the evidence of dry food is eliminated from the animal's system), plus the digestive system changes when on a RAW food. If you put her back on a dry food, problems may come up, because she can't properly digest it, since her stomach will be digesting it as if it were RAW meat. Now, I can't tell you WHAT would happen, since at the moment I can't remember if the stomach digests raw meat fast or slowwwww, but I have heard several times that the digestive process is different with dry and raw food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Well, I can tell you that my Molly has horrendous poops on every food (the food that worked best was Timberwolf Organics, but the poops were still stinky). I recently put her on RAW and now you can't smell anything. Granted, I haven't been in the room yet when she's taken a poop, but usually when she DOES take a poop, it wafts into every room and you can smell it at the other end of the house within 10 minutes, and that hasn't happened yet since she's been put on a raw diet.

I wouldn't recommend going back to dry, though. I think it'll wreak havoc on her system (cats and dogs will go through a detox period for the first week on a RAW food, which is basically diarrhea, until all the evidence of dry food is eliminated from the animal's system), plus the digestive system changes when on a RAW food. If you put her back on a dry food, problems may come up, because she can't properly digest it, since her stomach will be digesting it as if it were RAW meat. Now, I can't tell you WHAT would happen, since at the moment I can't remember if the stomach digests raw meat fast or slowwwww, but I have heard several times that the digestive process is different with dry and raw food.
She has not yet been put on RAW --- I am considering it because of the reasons listed above.

I have feed RAW to dogs before, but I've heard that putting a cat on RAW is different and a little more complicated.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ZhaZha

She really isn't big on canned either (but she needs to gain a few pounds) so I'm putting it and she will eat a little bit but not much. Once she is up to where she should be on weight I will be going to a dry diet.
Canned food is less fattening than dry food so you may want to just give her the dry if you are trying to get her to gain weight.

tallard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by ZhaZha

She has not yet been put on RAW --- I am considering it because of the reasons listed above.

I have feed RAW to dogs before, but I've heard that putting a cat on RAW is different and a little more complicated.
My brother in Quebec City buys his raw patties at a local alternative pet store and his 2 young cats are incredibly healthy. He buys a big box of it and keeps it frozen and thaws 4 every day. Their ppop doesn't smell but there is the occasional fart