Insurance Shopping... YUCK!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So comes the time of year I have to renew our insurance. DH has to hold Sr-22 because of a DUI last yet (what an idiot
)... I am not totally happy with our current insurance company. You can't make payments online/over the phone. Nor can you pay in the agent's office.. You have to MAIL checks which take up to 3 weeks before they cash them.. So I'm shopping around...I'm finding alot of them want to whole year/6 months up front, which I can't afford..

I hate this... don't you guys?

Any recommendations?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still on my parent's policy- which is great, we have State Farm- I love them, they are pretty awesome! I only have car insurance thru them, but I only pay $70 a month, which is pretty cheap.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

So comes the time of year I have to renew our insurance. DH has to hold Sr-22 because of a DUI last yet (what an idiot
)... I am not totally happy with our current insurance company. You can't make payments online/over the phone. Nor can you pay in the agent's office.. You have to MAIL checks which take up to 3 weeks before they cash them.. So I'm shopping around...I'm finding alot of them want to whole year/6 months up front, which I can't afford..

I hate this... don't you guys?

Any recommendations?
Yes... I work for a large insurance company. I have some questions for you:
1. How is your credit? (It can affect your insurance more than you think)
2. How long does he need the SR22? Does he need an SR22 for more than one state?
3. How's your claims history? (Do you have any at fault or not at fault accidents?)
4. How old are you?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get mine through Costco. I use to be on AAA, but I saved $150 by going to (at the time) AMEX auto Insurance. They've had enough mergers and now I'm back up to saving $100.

I may shop after I'm out of college though...which reminds me...I need to tell them I am a student.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This won't work for you because you need a perfect driving record, but I've had Mercury Insurance for years, and they absolutely beat everyone else in price. They don't advertise, thereby keeping their costs low, and yes, much lower than Geico! [Any company that spends a fortune on advertising like Geico can't be that cheap!]

I've had a couple of minor claims over the years and they've been great on that end too. When my son first started driving at the age of 17, they were half the price of State Farm.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go through Progressive, which has proved to be the least expensive for me. I've had no problems, you can purchase, renew, pay, change, get quotes and everything online, anytime, anyday. I've insured my car at 2:30pm on a saturday and been legal to drive right then. I really like it. Get yourself a quote, you are not obligated at all to purchase it and you don't get spam mail from then at all, EVER.. I only get a mail when I make a payment. Good luck honey!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

This won't work for you because you need a perfect driving record, but I've had Mercury Insurance for years, and they absolutely beat everyone else in price. They don't advertise, thereby keeping their costs low, and yes, much lower than Geico! [Any company that spends a fortune on advertising like Geico can't be that cheap!]

I've had a couple of minor claims over the years and they've been great on that end too. When my son first started driving at the age of 17, they were half the price of State Farm.
Speaking of Geico, they have been the cheapest so far! $280 down and $104/month.. I might end up going with them

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get home insurance and life insurance you can usually save quite a bit.

Brokers will usually be able to get you the best deal as they have contacts in the business

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

If you get home insurance and life insurance you can usually save quite a bit.

Brokers will usually be able to get you the best deal as they have contacts in the business
Well I rent so I don't have home insurance and health insurance? Well... if I die anytime soon, they'll just have to put me in cardboard box in the ground with a carnation

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have renter's insurance??? The cost is pretty reasonable.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I'm still on my parent's policy- which is great, we have State Farm- I love them, they are pretty awesome! I only have car insurance thru them, but I only pay $70 a month, which is pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Good deal but not necessarily good service, which is what everyone wants in the event of a claim.