$$$ saving tips???

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to start saving for a trip to Las Vegas in the summer of 2008, but I am a student on a somewhat limitted budget.

Any tips for saving money???

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

I want to start saving for a trip to Las Vegas in the summer of 2008, but I am a student on a somewhat limitted budget.

Any times for saving money???
Have it payroll deducted if you can. Take $20-$40 out of every paycheck and have it deposited into an account. Make sure that it's difficult to get access to though. Don't get a debit card or checks to go along with it. If you need to withdraw money from it force yourself to go to a teller window.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do a lot, is saving extra change in a jar. John & I do this all the time, so far we've saved up about $30 in change, which isn't much, but we're just saving for a rainy day fund- or bills. Any little bit helps!

Do you do your own grocery shopping? If you do- buy off brands! I've saved so much on doing that when I do my shopping at WalMart- clip coupons, watch for ads- anything!

I also have $25 of each paycheck of the 1st of the month put directly in a savings account. I never touch it, and usually forget its there. Its fun to see all the money add up tho!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clip coupons and put the money you save into your "Vegas Fund".
Here, it costs me $3.50/month for a Sunday Only subscription to the paper, and I easily save that much in one week. My supermarket also doubles coupons up to $1.00, and gives you a total amount saved at the bottom of the receipt, so it's easy to keep track of!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuff money away with any paycheck.

When I was in school I stuffed $25 a paycheck away and ONLY touched it incase of emergency.

Also to help just a little, take $100 or so and place it in an CD. They aren't worth much in interest, but you can earn an extra $10 after 3 months (and you can always add to the CD too).

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't go to Wal-Mart. I've seen price comparisons in three different newspapers comparing prices at Walmart and the local chain groceries: and Walmart is ALWAYS the most expensive.

Anyway, I've been astounded at the store brand vs name brand price differences I've seen recently. Like, Riced Krispies are 3.89, and the Crispy Rice (Kroger's kind) is 2.79. That's a big difference! Another one that's gotten me is the difference between getting cheese (or lunch meat) prepackaged or from the deli. It's usually a lot cheaper to get it from the deli.

As far as techniques for saving, here's one: I am saving up for a new computer. I've pretty much limited myself to about 20$ a week for non-necessary spending (movies, bars, etc) and every time I want to do something that would cost money, I think about the computer I want. I have a picture of it in my wallet, too. Another helpful thing is to translate dollar amounts into how much you work.

So, when I want to go see a movie, I am trading an hour and a half of pay for that movie. Sometimes you realize something just isn't worth it!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only buy things I need, nothing that I want. When I go to wal-mart or somplace, when I pick somthing up I ask myself if I need it or if I want it. Most of the time it was a want and I could live without it. Doind that helped me be able to afford my new 2006 Tuscon SUV. I still do it because I am saving up to go to cuba in a couple years.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I only buy things I need, nothing that I want. When I go to wal-mart or somplace, when I pick somthing up I ask myself if I need it or if I want it. Most of the time it was a want and I could live without it. Doind that helped me be able to afford my new 2006 Tuscon SUV. I still do it because I am saving up to go to cuba in a couple years.
I'm so jealous! I would LOVE to go to Cuba. Too bad it's illegal here
Such a pretty country.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh. All these ideas are great! I'm definately going to do all of the above! Thanks. I'm so excited to go because it's for my weightloss forum (which I moderate on) and we're doing a meetup there. I've never really been anywhere besides New Mexico, so it will be a great treat!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm so jealous! I would LOVE to go to Cuba. Too bad it's illegal here
Such a pretty country.
Well... if you decide to go to Canada and then some one "springs" the fact that you can go to Cuba when you are up there it's not illegal. So my father tells me...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a student and i work full time too
The one thing that has really helped me is the concept of PYF (pay yourself first). Every single check i get - i set aside money and put it in my savings account- even if it's only $5- it still keeps me in the habit of saving a little- and ALL of that money adds up! I'm only 21 and i'm huge on saving. Nothing will motivate you more than seeing your single mom struggle her whole life to take care of you- i am trying to take care of myself finanically now so that i will be able to provide for my family and future kids when i have them. I don't want to have to depend on anyone else to support me. I always want to be able to take care of myself. / Also- I save my change- i know it might seem like a hassle- but all of that change really adds up! Every other week i empty out my wallet of the change in it and save it. Then when my jar is full enough i take it to my local Coinstar (usually in your local grocerystor- looks like a little ATM machine- you just pour your change in and don't have to roll it or anything.) The last trip i made to coinstar i had over $75 worth of change - it really adds up! I used that for Christmas gifts and groceries. / The main thing now is to just start getting into the habit of saving. Also -record how much you spend every day (you'd be suprised how quickly bottled water and lunch can add up!) and record how much your check is every time you get one- include your bills you have to pay and include a spot to PYF with every check. Make savings a habit- and once you put money into your savings- DON't touch it! Take out a seperate savings accound if you need to- one just for your trip or retirement or whatever- one you only add to and don't take anything out of.Also- if you don't take the sunday paper now- order it! The money you will spend on it you will save in cupons and groceries!!!!!! Definitely use cupons! I work in a grocery store right now (i spend 1/2 my time running the floral dpt. and when they need me i cashier too) i cannot tell you how much people save when they use cupons! And don't forget to ask if the store doubles their cupons- every little bit adds up! Also- many store brands and off brands are just as good as name brand- look around
/ Also- go to your local libary and check out some of Dave Ramsey's books- he's INCREDABLE as far as giving people tips and advice on getting out of debt and savings!!!
And the main thing to remember: if you don't have the money- don't buy it! / Also -one rule i operate by- if i don't have the cash for it- i don't need it. (i don't use credit cards- the interest rates and other issues are something i do not need. I avoid them at all costs. I have one for emergencies only- and i never use it. There are ways to establish good credit without having to have a credit card- one of the main ways is paying your bills on time every month. I always try to pay mine a little early if i can- so i avoid late fees.) Good luck!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Another one that's gotten me is the difference between getting cheese (or lunch meat) prepackaged or from the deli. It's usually a lot cheaper to get it from the deli.
She's absolutely right on this one!!! It is much less expensive and the quality is much better when you get your cheese/meat fresh from the deli vs. the prepackaged stuff- they can also cut it and weigh it to the amount that you want so you don't have too much that will just sit around and waste

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are definately things we can cut back in..ie. brand stuff when we shop and using the deli!

I think the biggest saver will be not eating out. It's healthier and cheaper! and taking left overs for lunch rather than all that packaged stuff or buying lunch.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love coupons too! I even cut out the ones that I don't especially need and put them aside just in case.

A few things that I do when I am trying to save money is to pack my own lunches for work. Another good way to save is to make your own coffee instead of buying it everyday. If you drink soft drinks you can sometimes get really good deals on the cases of cans instead of buying from the vending machine.

Coming up with a plan helps me a lot too, so if I know that I am going to need $400. in four months time I will just set aside $100.00 every month and cut corners on all of the extras by telling myself that I don't have the money.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp. I started a savings jar (swear jar..a buck a
lol and exercise jar..for every 15 minutes I get to put a quarter in
) and then all my loose change
It's sitting at 25.03 right now
and it's only going to grow

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with Nikki's pay yourself first idea. I do this as well, and it REALLY adds up.

One other thing that I LOVE is my bank (Bank of America) does this thing called "Keep the Change". I signed up for it right after they started it and I've saved a lot of money with it. They basically round up every purchase you make with your debit card, and put the excess into your savings. Like let's say you buy lunch and its $5.25. It rounds the purchase to $6 and 75 cents goes in your savings. If you make a similar purchase every day that's $23.25 a month that you will never miss.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

I totally agree with Nikki's pay yourself first idea. I do this as well, and it REALLY adds up.

One other thing that I LOVE is my bank (Bank of America) does this thing called "Keep the Change". I signed up for it right after they started it and I've saved a lot of money with it. They basically round up every purchase you make with your debit card, and put the excess into your savings. Like let's say you buy lunch and its $5.25. It rounds the purchase to $6 and 75 cents goes in your savings. If you make a similar purchase every day that's $23.25 a month that you will never miss.
Ohmygosh, I should see if any banks around here do that because I rarely have cash. IF not, I'll just have to start paying with cash all the time.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use coupons too but if there are coupons for items you don't usually buy-don't use them you aren't saving any money. Make a list before grcoery shopping too. When I go and get gas for one of the vehicles I try to "pay at the pump" rather than go inside and pay to avoid buying a soda or bag of chips, etc... If we take a day trip somewhere-even just driving to the farm I fill a water jug at home, make sandwiches and bring along rather than stop at the grocery store or FF place and pick something up there. I also pack my food in a reusable container rather than a ziploc bag (even though I will re-use those too (if they didn't have meat in them)
I am a big magazine junky but rather than buying all I want I can read them at the library.
I usually do not carry much cash bu teach week I will save half my change and perhaps slip a couple dollars into the piggy bank. If I sent for a rebate on some product-that $$ goes in the piggy bank too.
Use your own bank's ATM machine instead of other banks to avoid ATM charges.
If you have any farmer's markets around buy produce there instead of grocery store and if you attend them later in the day before closing they don't want to carry all the leftover produce home so you may be able to barter the price down.
Good luck saving!!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The thing that really helped me was keeping a log of every cent I spent for a month. I assigned a category name to all expenses then added it up after a month. I was *shocked* to learn I was spending $250 or so a month on little incidentals...$2+ here and there really added up. I wouldnt have believed it if I had not seen in it black and white.

It was for junk like coffees and water bottles while out, concessions at the movies Bath and Bodyworks good smelly stuff I really could live without.

Identifying a pattern will help you find out what to cut.