Set up for a new kitten

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I am thinking of adopting a kitten here within the next few months. I've been doing a bunch of reading on the forum and am learning lots of useful stuff.

What all do I need to buy before bringing a kitten home? Any recommendations for certain brands?

Here's what I know I'll need:
litter box
litter
mat for under box
cat bed
cat food - I'm going with all dry
cat food dishes - nothing breakable
Bitter Apple spray
toys
carrying crate
room the kitten can take over as his own - this'll be a bathroom
cat treats
grooming brush

Am I missing anything? Any advice or opinions would be great!!!!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

Hi,
I am thinking of adopting a kitten here within the next few months. I've been doing a bunch of reading on the forum and am learning lots of useful stuff.
Congratulations on your decision to bring home a new baby! I know you'll enjoy having him/her! They can be so much company.

What all do I need to buy before bringing a kitten home? Any recommendations for certain brands?

litter box - Check
litter - Check
mat for under box - Check
cat bed - Check
cat food - I'm going with all dry - Hrmmmm ... why not try a little canned kitten food? What is your reason for going all dry?
cat food dishes - nothing breakable - Hrmmm ... stainless steel or glass cleans up better than plastic and doesn't harbor bacteria
Bitter Apple spray - I have never used it with my kittens, but you may have better luck with it
toys - LOTS!! I find one of those fishing pole or wand-type toys is wonderful and very interesting for babies!
carrying crate - Check and you are very smart to think of this, not everyone does
room the kitten can take over as his own - this'll be a bathroom - just make sure it is warm and as kitten-proofed as you can make it. Kittens can get into even the tiniest little nooks and crannies!
cat treats - Check
grooming brush - Check
A can or two of KMR or Goat's Milk (I like goat's milk better - doesn't seem to cause the constipation or other digestive issues so much in kittens) in case he/she doesn't want to eat what you provide
A few jars of meat-only (not veggies or onions) human baby food, (I like the chicken or turkey best for kittens) in case you need to offer this - warm gently in the microwave or set unopened jar in a bowl of hot water to gently warm before serving
An eyedropper or syringe without the needle in case you need to force-feed
LOTS of paper towels

Optional but recommended: An extra-large dog crate. I love these in the event you need to isolate and confine baby for whatever reason temporarily.

Spend a lot of time with the new baby and make sure he/she has plenty of blankets to snuggle down into if he/she must stay in a room by him/herself for the first few days.

That's all I can think of at the moment ... hopefully others will come along soon and offer more suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cat food - I'm going with all dry - Hrmmmm ... why not try a little canned kitten food? What is your reason for going all dry?
I've read on a few cat sites that wet food is unessesary and more expensive. Is this not the case?

room the kitten can take over as his own - this'll be a bathroom - just make sure it is warm and as kitten-proofed as you can make it. Kittens can get into even the tiniest little nooks and crannies!
I plan on making this the cat's own room. I'll have another bathroom, so it won't have any of the normal bathroom things in it (soap, towels, garbage, etc) I'll put baby locks on the under-sink cabinets.

A can or two of KMR or Goat's Milk (I like goat's milk better - doesn't seem to cause the constipation or other digestive issues so much in kittens) in case he/she doesn't want to eat what you provide where do i get goat's milk? I assume I can get KMR at Petsmart
A few jars of meat-only (not veggies or onions) human baby food, (I like the chicken or turkey best for kittens) in case you need to offer this - warm gently in the microwave or set unopened jar in a bowl of hot water to gently warm before serving okay.
An eyedropper or syringe without the needle in case you need to force-feed have it
LOTS of paper towels have it
thanks for the advice. quick question- when you adopt a kitten don't they usually give you a bag of the food they've been eating all along, and then you gradually mix it with the food you plan on feeding him/her? If this is the case, why would the kitten not eat the food? (being the same food they've eaten all along)

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've read on a few cat sites that wet food is unessesary and more expensive. Is this not the case?
I tend to disagree with the more mainstream theory that wet food is unneccessary. IMO, it provides a larger degree of moisture (very important in male cats) and is more in keeping with what a cat would eat in it's own natural environment. Dry food (even the best, most "premium" brands) contain a lot of filler, and this is (again IMO) not what a cat would choose to eat. Cats are obligate carnivores. They don't eat a lot of corn, rice or other carbs and actually, don't process carbs for energy the way humans do. Cats get their energy from amino acids, which come from protein - meat. That's why I like the canned food better than dry.

I plan on making this the cat's own room. I'll have another bathroom, so it won't have any of the normal bathroom things in it (soap, towels, garbage, etc) I'll put baby locks on the under-sink cabinets.
Will Baby not ever have run of the house then?
Or is this temporary until he/she is more comfortable?

thanks for the advice. quick question- when you adopt a kitten don't they usually give you a bag of the food they've been eating all along, and then you gradually mix it with the food you plan on feeding him/her? If this is the case, why would the kitten not eat the food? (being the same food they've eaten all along)
Depends upon where and from whom you adopt. You certainly could ask what Baby has been eating, buy that and give it a go, but in the confusion of a new place with new smells and new people, it is always good to have options in case Baby doesn't want to eat.

ETA: Forgot to address the KMR/Goat's Milk question. Yes, KMR can be found at Petsmart and Goat's Milk can be found at the local grocery store, usually in the same aisle as the canned or powdered milk products.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will Baby not ever have run of the house then? Or is this temporary until he/she is more comfortable?
No, as he/she gets more comfortable and adjusted to the new home, I'll leave the bathroom door open so he/she will be free to roam, but I plan on still keeping the litter box in the bathroom permanently. In the very beginning, the kitten will stay in the bathroom with the door closed only when I am gone, and maybe at night. After he/she adjusts and isn't having accidents all over the house, the door will stay open. Is this okay?

Good to know about the cat food. What brand do you recommend, both for wet and dry? Any good recommendations on cat treats?

Thanks for all the advice!!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

litter box - get the largest you can find!
litter- I use Tidy Cat's Multiple Cats regular litter, as I have 3 cats, although there are others that work well too. A lot of people like Arm & Hammer, Feline Pine, Yesterday's News, etc.
mat for under box - Using newspaper is cheap!
cat bed- Don't bother...cats much prefer a comfy old box lined with blankets or towels! Save your money on nifty toys and scratching posts!
cat food - I'm going with all dry...I would encourage you to consider feeding your cat a premium all wet/canned diet. This is actually FAR MORE healthier for your kitten. Or you can have one meal be dry kibble, and the other meal be a canned type. Innova, Wellness, Felidae, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, and Solid Gold are some brands that come HIGHLY recommended. Do as much research into cat nutrition as you can before selecting your new kitty...you'll be surprised. I feed my trio a combination of wet and dry...and I feed Innova EVO, which is fairly close to a raw diet. Many of the dry foods you find in discount and grocery stores are like giving your cat meat-flavored cereal, and full of by-products, fillers, corn, and basically stuff that can effect your cat's health and well-being over the long run. There's lots of great info on cat food right here on TCS, so spend some time doing some general searches.
cat food dishes - nothing breakable...I use stainless steel or heavy ceramic dishes, as using plastic bowls can actually irritate a cat's chin, and cause feline acne. A nice non-slip mat underneath can help keep dishes in place, too.
Bitter Apple spray
toys - Get the Cat Dancer...it's cheap, and all cat's seem to LOVE them! And mice mice mice!!!! And wand toys, and catnip toys...
carrying crate - Excellent idea...it will be mandatory for vet visits and car rides...never ride in a car with an uncrated cat!
room the kitten can take over as his own - this'll be a bathroom - That's what I've always done!
cat treats...heck, you don't have to buy any special treats. Your cat will benefit from OCCASSIONAL (unless you choose to feed a raw diet) treats of plain natural yogurt (not flavored), a bit of uncooked chicken (don't cook it!!!), a dab here and there of cottage cheese, a tiny sliver of tuna now and again, a little morsel of beef hot dog, chicken gizzards, turkey necks (supervise this one), and even a raw egg now and again (yolk and whites!). Most commercial cat treats are junk food, and really only contribute to obesity and other problems. Just make sure to not give your cats a dish of milk, as they do not process lactose properly, and it can make kitty sick. Onions, garlic, tomato, chocolate, and garlic are other things to be avoided. There are lists available to help you figure out what is safe, and what is not.
grooming brush - I would also get a flea comb. Even if kitty is completely an indoor cat (which I would strongly recommend), you can actually bring fleas in your home a variety of ways. Please always stay clear of flea shampoos, and over-the-counter flea products, as they can be toxic, and even fatal to your kitten. Always use a product from your vet, such as Frontline, Revolution, or Advantage from your vet.

*Consider getting two kittens that have bonded...it may actually keep kitties more occupied during the crazy kitten phase, and less out of trouble! They actually do like buddies!
*Adopt from a shelter, or rescue group...don't purchase your kitty from a pet shop!!!!!!
*Always spay and neuter your pets! This will help you avoid a host of problems later on!!!!! If you adopt a shelter kitty, it may already be done for you!
*Consider adopting an adult cat from a shelter...kittens are cute, but adults tend to rot in shelters for much longer periods of time, and you will know immediately the personality of the cat. Kittens are a lot of HARD WORK!!! Adults are much more mellow, and far less maintenance. Remember, cats can live to be 20 years old, so a 3-4 year-old cat is still incredibly young and full of life!
*Do not declaw. This procedure is horrible, and extremely harmful to animals. Do invest in some scratching post, and acclimate your kitten or cat to using it immediately, to save your furniture. Also, get your kitten used to nail trimming early...this helps a lot too. You can also look into Soft Paws, which is a nail cap that can be worn, to protect your home as well!
*Provide lots of exercise to your cat. Get on the floor, and be a cat too! Play play play! Get your kitty to exercise his/her prey instincts, and provide mental stimulation...a tired kitty is a happy kitty!
*Where do you live (if you don't mind me asking?) PM me if you want some help finding some local shelters in your area, or if you need help picking out that special kitty for you!
Good luck, and we are here for you anytime you need something in regards to your new cat! Remember, if something does not seem right with your new companion, it's always best to consult your vet first, so that your cat will remain healthy and happy!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at your list and you seem to have most everything covered. I would highly suggest buying a scratching post or something your cat will be allowed to scratch. Izzie loves her scratching post and scratches it almost everytime she passes it! I keep mine next to the door and found it's probably the best location since she has to pass by it. Also you may want to consider purchasing a nail clipper to trim your cats nails.

As far as toys, I have found that the best toys are either the FREE ones such as a used tennis ball, ping pong balls, crumbled up paper, cardboard box and even my old scrunchie which is one of my cats favorite toys.

Good luck and have fun!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missing a very important piece of cat equipment:

1. A good sturdy treehouse/scratching post! I have both the little cardboard ones they use at times and a treehouse by the window that has several levels. Mine cost under $100 at Petco.

Do not buy the little scratching posts they sell in WalMart that are about 2 feet high. A cat will knock it over and won't use it at all - those are for very young kittens who are learning.

A good sturdy post minimum of 4 feet high is a good investment

2. Cat nail clippers - the scissor kind work better for kitty nails rather then the dog clippers. In a pinch you can use normal human nail clippers but it kinda splinters the nails and doesn't give a clean cut - I use them on tiny 3 week old kittens till they are older.

And the dishes - do not get the plastic kind - get the stainless steel (weighted) or ceramic/earthenware kind - they stand up to heave use and are better sanitized in washing them. Get SEPARATE dishes - not the kind that hook together. You'll be filling the water bowl up a lot more then the food bowl

We feed a mix of dry in the morning, canned at nite. We are using Royal Cain food as its the one the breeder of our ocicat recommended. She had been using Iams, but switched to RC - and since she had the #1 kitten in the US last year, I think she knows what is best
(past several years 5+ she's had kittens/cats of her breed in the top rankings).

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im going out to buy stainless steal ones tomorrow , the water bowl is stainless steal but the food dishs are plastic, really nices one , but i didnt know they held bactira , i wash them before every feeding though. thanx for the tip.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'll get separate stainless dishes.

We are using Royal Cain food as its the one the breeder of our ocicat recommended.
How expensive is that?

would highly suggest buying a scratching post
Yeah, I'm looking into that, they're just so expensive!

you don't have to buy any special treats. Your cat will benefit from OCCASSIONAL (unless you choose to feed a raw diet) treats of plain natural yogurt (not flavored), a bit of uncooked chicken (don't cook it!!!), a dab here and there of cottage cheese, a tiny sliver of tuna now and again, a little morsel of beef hot dog, chicken gizzards, turkey necks (supervise this one), and even a raw egg now and again (yolk and whites!).
Well, I want to get something easy and convenient that I can give him/her when the litter box is used correctly, etc. Something that can be kept in a container - that i don't have to get out of the fridge or out of a can.

Consider getting two kittens
Yeah, I'd like to, but that's twice the expense...vet's appointments, food, litter, adoption fee....

Adopt from a shelter, or rescue group...don't purchase your kitty from a pet shop!!!!!!
*Always spay and neuter your pets! This will help you avoid a host of problems later on!!!!! If you adopt a shelter kitty, it may already be done for you!
Yep, that's what I'm planning on.

*Where do you live
Salt Lake City, Utah

Thanks!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I'd like to, but that's twice the expense...vet's appointments, food, litter, adoption fee...
Thanks for letting me know where you're located...it helped me do some research on adoptable kitties for you, and boy, what a selection you're looking at of GORGEOUS kitties in your area, and there are many cats being offered in pairs, for less than half of paying for two normally in the Salt Lake City area. I know it seems like there are so many extra expenses, or double the expenses for having two kittens, but I haven't found that to be true. Sure, you will pay twice the amount at the vet...for vaccinations, which may already be done for you by the shelter...and to have them both fixed (this will already be done for you to at the shelter), so cross those major bills out. And routine care each year (some only take their cats in once every 3 years for booster shots...that's what I do) is not expensive for two cats. You won't have to buy twice the amount of food or litter, you just have to purchase those staple items a little more frequently than with one cat.

As far as a tall scratching post, if you have someone handy in your family, they can be made easily, and cheaply in a garage or workshop...there are blueprints available online.

Sending you a PM...time to feast your eyes on some LOVELY cats!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The scratching post I purchased was about $40 and I don't think it's too expensive for it's purpose. It's only about 36 inches tall but it's well made. I bought it off of eBay and it's made by cat lovers!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to back up what others are saying about getting 2 kittens - I made the mistake of getting one (I use the word mistake in the loosest sense because I love him dearly) and I have to be on call for play and attention 24/7 because he has no feline company. He's absolutely exhausting. He's also nearly 9 months old, it's not a phase that lasts just a few weeks. Something to consider.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good/top quality food is pricey, BUT you actually use less in the long run. I paid $15-20 (can't remember exact cost) for a 8 lb bag.

You don't want the cheap food - like Meow Mix or Purina - your cat/kitten will be much healthier eating better quality food from the start.

As far as the price on a treehouse - save up the money - its WELL worth it - it will last for years and years. The cheaper/smaller ones might only last 6 months to a year, so you'd have to get another one.

Petsmart/Petco runs about $75-150 for a nice treehouse.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ashley....will you be home during the day?? If not, you may want to consider getting 2 kittens if you do not already have a youngish cat at home:
I am home a lot. I am a college student and so I'm only gone for a few hours a day, then home studying. The longest I would ever have to leave it is for 4 hours once a week. I didn't think that was too bad - is it?

My boyfriend and I are getting the kittens together, and we both think that 2 would be fun, and understand that they'd keep each other entertained, but we just don't think its feasable. To college students, the added expense is a big deal, and I also live in an urban condo that doesn't have tons of space for 2 full grown cats to wander. And honestly, the thought of having 2 litter boxes makes me shudder. Fortunately, both me and my boyfriend have been thinking about getting a kitten for a while, (so its not some emotional and spur-of the moment purchase) and we are both really excited to spend lots of time playing and cuddling with it. I think that the kitten will get plenty of attention between the both of us.

As far as a tall scratching post, if you have someone handy in your family, they can be made easily, and cheaply in a garage or workshop...there are blueprints available online.
I mentioned this to my boyfriend, and he's going to see if he can make one. That would sure save me some money!

time to feast your eyes on some LOVELY cats!
There are some beautiful cats in the area! Thanks for the PMs!!!

You don't want the cheap food - like Meow Mix or Purina
Wow! See, I'm glad you said something because I would have thought that Purina was a good brand, they're so well marketed. Any recs on a good quality (but not terribly expensive) dry food?

THANKS SO MUCH everyone for your input. I'm learning so much from this post and I think my future kitty will really benefit from it! Keep up the responses please!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any food recomendations but I just switched from MeowMix dry and 9-Lives wet to Eagle Pack wet & dry and I can attest to the fact you they will eat less of a higher quality food so the cost for what they eat evens out just about.

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you sound like your mind is made up on the one cat thing, but please let me try to convince you otherwise. Getting a kitten alone is detrimental to its emotional and developmental health. While you may be around to provide attention a lot, you are not a cat (right?) A cat, especially a young one, needs a companion with whom to learn about being a cat.

Kittens love to play fight (even my 2-year-old cat still does), and they bite and scratch with those razor-sharp claws. When they do it with other cats, it's fine. When they do it to your hand, shoes, furniture...it's not fine. And as it turns out, cats are nocturnal, so when they want to play, you will probably be asleep. My two cats SPRINT around the house after each other every morning around 3. If they didn't have each other to play with, they'd certainly be waking me up. In addition to cutting down on problems, getting two cats together is so rewarding. Not only will you be saving two lives instead of one, but you will get to seee two feline best friends together. Watching my cats grow, play, and sleep together is enjoyable every day. I know they enjoy feline companionship. I can't think of anything cuter than my two gray/white furballs curled up on the bed, licking each other's heads.

The expense is not that great when you add one more cat. Some rescue groups will offer a discount when you get more than one cat at a time. I know mine does. Any reputable rescue group will include shots/altering in the adoption fee, which means you are saving on the first vet expenses. And as long as you keep your cats inside, you probably won't need to see the vet more than once a year for checkups. I've had my two boys since last May and they haven't been to the vet since then. Also, another litter box, while nice for the cats, isn't necessary. I have one for my two cats and a foster cat, and I scoop it once a day (Arm & Hammer litter is incredible stuff). I have a tiny tiny urban apartment, and we've had no messes or even smell so far. And as far as space for cats...I say the more the merrier. My apartment is probably 600 square feet, and the three cats each weigh 16 pounds, 16 pounds, and 9 pounds. There is plenty of space for them. And when they're sleeping, they usually curl up in a ball all together. That saves space, and it's the cutest thing I have ever seen.

As for food, it is widely agreed that wet food is FAR better for cats than dry. Dry food is more processed than wet food, and contains more products that a cat should not be eating (corn, by-products, meal, etc). Corn has been linked to feline diabetes. Cats are carnivores and need real meat. As someone said before me, Whiskas is NOT real meat. Make sure that you are buying wet food that does NOT contain by-products. By-products include spine, brain, tumors, hooves, hair, eyes, etc. that humans won't eat, so it gets ground up and turned into pet food. It's a cheap source of protein for pet food manufacturers and that is all. If you wouldn't eat it, why feed it to your pet? I have a fancy pet food store I go to for my cats, and we buy wet and dry food there. Some good dry foods include Purina Naturals (available PetSmart and the like), California Naturals, EVO, and Wellness (this is available at my local grocery store, Giant). Good wet foods include anything without by-products, in my opinion. We usually buy Merrick, EVO, Wellness, and even *gasp* Meow Mix! Meow Mix has some foods in pouches/cups that have no by-products. The flavors include Upstream Dream, Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo, and Hook Line & Sinker, and you can buy them in bulk (I know I do).

And my last point...having a cat is not cheap. I am a fellow college kid. I will be graduating in May. I thought I did tons of research before I got my two cats, but I don't think I did quite enough. I didn't take into account exactly how much it would cost to properly care for the cats. It was about a $500 initial investment, and even though I love my little boys, there are some months when I can't believe how much they eat, or how much litter costs, or whatever. I can't imagine what I'd do if one of them got sick. I would absolutely choose to go into debt over hurting or losing my cat, but it would certainly be a hardship. Check the health section of the forums to see the things that happen to cats, and what they cost. If you don't think you have the money to take care of two cats, you might not have the money to take care of one until after graduation/getting a job. Maybe consider fostering cats in the meantime. I have been fostering for a while now, and it is incredibly rewarding. It's having a cat, but not being responsible for its medical costs, and sometimes its food. I've found a home for one cat, and am now awaiting the birth of a litter to a stray.

I hope you consider everyone's advice here. It's GREAT that you are interested in being so well-informed. I wish I'd known about this site when I got my boys. Which reminds me...PetFinder is OK, but DO NOT go to the animal shelter/meet with cats until you are absolutely ready to take them. I promise that the first place you go, a cat will win your heart and you might act rashly (which is exactly how I got my cats...and again, I don't regret it one bit, but man, if I'd never seen their adorable faces at the pound, I might not have rushed into getting them the day after I met them).

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Getting a kitten alone is detrimental to its emotional and developmental health.
But don't lots of people only have one cat? I know plenty of relatives and friends who have just one and it does fine.

If you don't think you have the money to take care of two cats, you might not have the money to take care of one until after graduation/getting a job.
The problem is that I don't work - my parents are supporting me through school. They pay for pretty much everything, (including upkeep of my salt water reef tank) and would pay for the expense of ONE cat, but there's no way they'd take care of two, even if I explained that its not that much of a price difference. As much as I would like to get two kittens, I just don't think its feasable. I have 7 years of school left (grad school) and won't be working until then. If I told my parents that I had adopted two kittens, they'd make me take them back. Also, I'm adopting the kitten with my boyfriend, so its not just my choice. He only wants one. Wouldn't it be better for one kitten to go to a loving home that can devote time and energy to it instead of staying in a shelter, or getting adopted by someone who won't provide such a loving home? Its not that I've decided that I don't want 2 kittens - I'd love to have two kittens, but its not just my decision.

By-products include spine, brain, tumors, hooves, hair, eyes, etc.
Wow thats gross! Good to know....

PetFinder is OK, but DO NOT go to the animal shelter/meet with cats until you are absolutely ready to take them.
Oh believe me, I know! I won't be going to look at kittens until I'm ready and have all the supplies I need. I'm sure I'd fall in love with someone and want to take it home right away!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if you can't have two kittens, its better to adopt a little older kitten (6 months) or a young adult. Those would be able to handle more alone time then a young kitten.