Introducing new kitten to my year and half old ca

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there dont know if i have this in right part im getting a kitten from the cats protection on monday (uk cat shelter) I also have a year and half old cat i have every confidence she will be great with another cat here she plays with all thecats that live in the street but i was wondering if any one had any tips or ideas on how to introduce them to each other so there is less stress or that for eiher of them just incase there is any help would be excellent thank you

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's accepted for cats to be indoor/outdoor critters in the UK, and I'm not sure how that might affect the dynamics involved... but when I brought five-month-old Pearl home to join my 18-month-old Clyde, I followed all the standard advice, and it worked like a charm...

For the first day, I kept them completely separated, though they could hear and smell each other under a door. The second day, I put Pearl in her carrier and brought her to the living room, where Clyde could see her for just a few minutes. The third day, I extended that to half an hour, and that day, there was no hissing or hostility at all.

So on the fourth day, I brought Pearl out wrapped in a blanket and just sat on the couch with her while watching TV. Clyde watched from a distance, and eventually curled up on the sofa beside me!

The fifth day, I did the same thing, and little Pearl climbed out of my arms and crept over and shyly kissed Clydie's nose... and the rest is a kitty love story.

Through all of this, I was constantly trading out bedding so they both ended up smelling alike. I made sure to keep my voice low and calm, so they didn't get alarmed. And above all else, I made sure to be especially affectionate toward Clyde, so he wouldn't feel he was being set aside in favor of another kitty.

I hope this helps! And I hope someday to visit Scotland again... you live in the most beautiful country I know.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you so mutch i will take your advice and try them all
yeah scotlands beautiful but sooo cold lol i miss the summer n even then its cold here haha

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I know it's accepted for cats to be indoor/outdoor critters in the UK, and I'm not sure how that might affect the dynamics involved... but when I brought five-month-old Pearl home to join my 18-month-old Clyde, I followed all the standard advice, and it worked like a charm...

For the first day, I kept them completely separated, though they could hear and smell each other under a door. The second day, I put Pearl in her carrier and brought her to the living room, where Clyde could see her for just a few minutes. The third day, I extended that to half an hour, and that day, there was no hissing or hostility at all.

So on the fourth day, I brought Pearl out wrapped in a blanket and just sat on the couch with her while watching TV. Clyde watched from a distance, and eventually curled up on the sofa beside me!

The fifth day, I did the same thing, and little Pearl climbed out of my arms and crept over and shyly kissed Clydie's nose... and the rest is a kitty love story.

Through all of this, I was constantly trading out bedding so they both ended up smelling alike. I made sure to keep my voice low and calm, so they didn't get alarmed. And above all else, I made sure to be especially affectionate toward Clyde, so he wouldn't feel he was being set aside in favor of another kitty.

I hope this helps! And I hope someday to visit Scotland again... you live in the most beautiful country I know.

Good luck!
Yep, ya gotta hang in there, in some cases, more than others. Last night (night 10), our two cats got up on the loveseat with us to watch TV (although when Linda Blair started turning into a monster they both ran away). Later, they both slept in the same bed with us, another first. And this morning they touched for this first time. I have been so depressed most of this time but now I see that things are going to be OK. Do not despair, other cats have taken longer than this I am sure but I kept placing them in positions where they had to see each other all the time after the first few days and then I even moved their separate litter boxes and food close to each other. They are now using both litter boxes and eating and drinking out of the same bowls. At one other point in my life I had just one cat and a second one showed up on our doorstep. This was a different case because the new cat was a feral and it took quite a while just to get her to come in the house. I cannot remember exactly how long this took but it was several weeks before they became buddies, but THEY DID because I just would not give up. Best of vibes to you!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is an article in the Cat Behavior (not forums) section of TCS:

http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...cing-Cats.html

Even though your kitty will be an indoor/outdoor cat and not an indoor-only cat (like most of us here in the US), I think this is the best advice for making an intro go slowly. It's also a good idea because even though he/she will be confined for a while, that in and of itself makes your house "home," and part of his/her territory.

Laurie