Feral(?) Lucky and his red friends

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lucky Pierre is my little feral guy that I'm beginning to question myself about calling him feral anymore. He comes inside the house every evening and makes himself quite comfortable on the chairs, sofas, beds, cat trees or anywhere he wants to crash. The other night hubby and I were sitting in the living room watching TV and Lucky decided to lay down in the middle of the room amongst his cat friends.

Take a look at this face and tell me he is feral!!

And look at how the other cats simply accept him. Lucky is on the left, Pinky in the foreground, Stumpy is to the right and Bob is asleep in the cat hammock far back right. Stumpy is alpha and does keep an eye on him but otherwise just ignores him. I tried to get Bob's attention so that you could all see his face also, but he was just too sleepy.

Lucky's mom was a feral cat that we tried for years to trap and spay. We'd set the trap and catch the neutered ones over and over again. She would disappear into the woods behind the house and come up to the house to drop off kittens. Bob was the first kitten she dropped off, followed by Pinky the following year. Lucky was the last of her litters. So that makes 3 of these cats half-brothers and believe it or not, Stumpy is her brother, therefore uncle to these guys. Look closely - you can see a family resemblence.

I love my red boys!!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww! Look at all the orange babies.
They are all adorable! Does Lucky let you pet him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaylacat

Does Lucky let you pet him?
For a long time no he didn't. He turns 4 this year and over that time he's warmed up to me more and more. I do give him scritches whenever I happen to walk past him - he's often up high in cat trees so I don't have to bend over him to pet him. Feral cats simply don't like to be lower than you are. He still tends to run from my husband but he was able to pet him the other day. Hubby is tall and walks very heavy which tends to scare away feral cats.

All of these cats were born feral. I caught 3 of the 4 in the picture when they were very young and I just didn't get to Lucky early enough, so now we're letting his socialization take place on his own time.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww!
A houseful of red furchildren! Ferris wants to come and play!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to flop down on the floor and cuddle all those red guys. They are soooo cute!
I have a huge soft spot for red kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Well, he is among family members so he probably considers you as feral as he is.
Now THAT is an interesting perspective!! You are probably right!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love, love love red kitties
What a handsome bunch you have there!