Near delivery time

kezia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello folks!
my cat, who s only 8 or 9 months old, is pregnant and about to give birth any day now - she was a stray and given a contraceptive injection that didnt work - im very stressed and would appreciate any advice on how to deal with the delivery and the new borns as i have no previous experience at all!
thank you in advance
angel

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kezia

hello folks!
my cat, who s only 8 or 9 months old, is pregnant and about to give birth any day now - she was a stray and given a contraceptive injection that didnt work - im very stressed and would appreciate any advice on how to deal with the delivery and the new borns as i have no previous experience at all!
thank you in advance
angel
Welcome Angel to TCS. You have found the right place. The first thing I would do is to set up your girl with a room with a birthing box, litterbox and food (should be high quality kitten food at this stage). This room is preferably 2 doors away from her getting outdoors as you will need to keep her indoors only from this point until she has successfully weaned her kittens and has been spayed.

There is a great thread here that our moderator put together that has important information on what you should have in anticipation of the birth:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80724

I would also talk to your vet about the failed contraceptive injection.

Katie

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi hon, and god bless! Just like humans, the only two contraceptives that really work for cats is spaying and abstinence!

So, let's give you some helpful advise ok?

The main problem is that she was given the contraceptive injection which may result in deformed kittens (sad but true). This is why a lot of breeders don't use either the oral or the injection contraceptives.

So, besides doing the usual planning for birth, do keep a close eye out since she is young. Could you tell me if she is otherwise happy and healthy?

Definatly put her on kitten food as soon as possible please.

If you need a virtual hand to hold, just send me a pm!

Edited to add...Welcome to TCS!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kezia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the welcome katie (AND the link) and abymummy!i should have added some important information in my previous post - i am in samos, a northeastern agean island where there is NO private VET AVAILABLE to perform the spaying - the state s vet department (cattle etc) gives shots and in this case the injection and also told me that if boubou was pregnant be4 the injection it would help her have a better pregnancy - i def didnt want her or any other cat of mine getting pregnant but these are all strays that wont tolerate being kept inside at all times AT ALL!!
abymummy, boubou seems happy enough, all my cats have had probs with diarrhea so they are on RC intestinal - sadly, this food came from athens (this is NOT an easy thing to do) and i am in an island where decent cat food isnt available - the special food for the diarrhea comes with a huge delay due to the island being often cut off(bad weather etc) - so i doubt i will find any hight quality kitten food - any alternatives(raw food)? and one question - should she be eating kitten food becoz she is a kitten herself or becoz of the new borns (sorry if this sounds stupid) -I WILL SEND YOU A PM WHEN TIME COMES AND I DO HOPE YOU ARE ONLINE

thanks again
angel

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

thank you for the welcome katie (AND the link) and abymummy!i should have added some important information in my previous post - i am in samos, a northeastern agean island where there is NO private VET AVAILABLE to perform the spaying - the state s vet department (cattle etc) gives shots and in this case the injection and also told me that if boubou was pregnant be4 the injection it would help her have a better pregnancy - i def didnt want her or any other cat of mine getting pregnant but these are all strays that wont tolerate being kept inside at all times AT ALL!!
abymummy, boubou seems happy enough, all my cats have had probs with diarrhea so they are on RC intestinal - sadly, this food came from athens (this is NOT an easy thing to do) and i am in an island where decent cat food isnt available - the special food for the diarrhea comes with a huge delay due to the island being often cut off(bad weather etc) - so i doubt i will find any hight quality kitten food - any alternatives(raw food)? and one question - should she be eating kitten food becoz she is a kitten herself or becoz of the new borns (sorry if this sounds stupid) -I WILL SEND YOU A PM WHEN TIME COMES AND I DO HOPE YOU ARE ONLINE

thanks again
angel
Angel...I am sorry to hear that there isn't a private vet to help you and that the state vet is unable to spay your cat. Here is what we recommend in cases of pregnant cats who won't tolerate being confined in a room. Hopefully you can get a hold of a large dog crate and I would confine her in the dog crate with food/litter and birthing box. You definately do not want to risk her having babies outdoors...and unfortunately, cats can become pregnant again soon after giving birth.

I don't know enough about the injection to agree or disagree with your vet's comments, but if there is a way that you can arrange to have your cat spayed after this litter, that would be ideal.

Alley Cat Allies references 2 groups in Greece that are supportors of a program called Trap, Neuter, Return...perhaps you can contact them about the stray situation:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#greece

Katie

kezia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks - i can keep her confined for a little time until she gives birth and a while after (or at least ill try)- yes, there are many humane societies in greece, but thats mainly in big towns or even other islands, not ours - every other place is quite far from here, several hours by boat - the situation is hopeless here , really - if i can save up i will travel to the nearest island and have some of the cats spayed but i doubt i could take many of them along
(((

kezia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
for what is worth tho, i wrote to both these groups just now - thanks again, katie!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

for what is worth tho, i wrote to both these groups just now - thanks again, katie!
Kezia...I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to see so many strays and not have a way to get them spayed/neutered. I feel for your situation and hope that we can find a way to assist you. Thank you for caring for these cats.

Katie

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This makes me realise how lucky I am to have a good vet surgery a 5 minute bus ride away!

I hope that your cat's pregnancy and birth go well, and that you can find a way to get her to a vet to get her spayed afterwards. I can't imagine being in a situation where it is so difficult. I remember that someone I went to college with a while back was involved in fundraising and getting support for a TNR programme in Greece, but it was probably centred around larger cities! I remember dropping off some basic cat supplies on her behalf when I went to Athens last. This was many years ago and unfortunately I am no longer in contact with her, but I think her main links were with groups in Athens so wouldn't be much help to you.

Good luck

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

This makes me realise how lucky I am to have a good vet surgery a 5 minute bus ride away!
That's for sure, we have two Vets within walking distance of our house.

Kezia,

Welcome to TCS...I'll be keeping you and your kitten and her kittens in my thoughts and prayers.

kezia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your well wishes, epona and graciecat - boubou hasnt given birth yet altho i notice all the signs mentioned in the link/thread katie gave me - i am still very stressed, well more so to be honest - but katie, you saved my life - as i said i wrote to those two groups and one of them wrote back and informed me there actually IS a shelter in the capital of the island (about 40 kms from here)- the person was astonished that i d never heard of it and so am i - it was organised by dutch ppl apparently, exactly becoz there are no vet facilities here - i have asked everywhere, vets in the state deps, neighbours, acqaintances and my b/f s cooworkers and noone ever mentioned it or said they knew it - i am surprised as well but i am so relieved and excited i cant describe it - there come vets 3 times a year to do spaying/neutering and im calling them today later in the evening to inquire as to the dates - so, katie, thanks again, i owe you BIG TIME
hugs
angel

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well done angel!!! I'm so happy for you!!! The kittens should be well weaned by the time the vets come and you could probably do the whole family at once!!! I really am happy for you!!

I'm also glad that your cat is doing well...
Do drop me a pm anytime if you have any worries!!

kezia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, im happy too!!! thank you aby i will def send a pm coz i could really use some support

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

thank you for your well wishes, epona and graciecat - boubou hasnt given birth yet altho i notice all the signs mentioned in the link/thread katie gave me - i am still very stressed, well more so to be honest - but katie, you saved my life - as i said i wrote to those two groups and one of them wrote back and informed me there actually IS a shelter in the capital of the island (about 40 kms from here)- the person was astonished that i d never heard of it and so am i - it was organised by dutch ppl apparently, exactly becoz there are no vet facilities here - i have asked everywhere, vets in the state deps, neighbours, acqaintances and my b/f s cooworkers and noone ever mentioned it or said they knew it - i am surprised as well but i am so relieved and excited i cant describe it - there come vets 3 times a year to do spaying/neutering and im calling them today later in the evening to inquire as to the dates - so, katie, thanks again, i owe you BIG TIME
hugs
angel
Angel...that is FABULOUS news. Let's hope they are coming soon and that they can help you with spaying/neutering some of the strays in your area.
Please keep us updated regarding your girl's pregnancy as well.

Katie

kezia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok - here goes- sorry for the bad news ppl - i knew such elation couldnt last for long- boubou delivered two dead and dreadfully deformed babies 2 hours and a half ago - i am in shock - i dont think she s done yet, but how shall i know?
ps i feel like killing that poor excuse of a vet

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ok - here goes- sorry for the bad news ppl - i knew such elation couldnt last for long- boubou delivered two dead and dreadfully deformed babies 2 hours and a half ago - i am in shock - i dont think she s done yet, but how shall i know?
Oh, I'm so sorry - that must have been so hard to watch.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

kezia...I am terribly sorry!!! Please keep us informed.

Katie