Cry Baby!?!?

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK I have 2 Cats a Male and a Female. Squeak (male) is about 6 months. Not sure because he was found by some people I know as a kitten. Angel is around 7-8 months. Angel has gone in to heat 2 times where she spent all the time in the bathroom. (She was fixed last monday) And Squeak being upset he started Meowing. He has always meowed (his name is Squeak for a reason). But since she was locked in the bathroom and released and fixed, he is still doing it. It's a horrible cry not just a meow. Sounds like he is hurting, I have run in the other room a few times. He almost sounds like he is just lost and doesn't know where I or the other cat went. I usually call him and he stops but sometimes it is just for a second then he does it again and again. I just don't know what to do for him! Maybe he wants food but I know they get enough. I mean he is already fat and I didn't think I was giving him enough. But what else can I do here. I live in an apartment and he is really getting loud.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm, some of my cats do this at various times too. It is like they are saying "hey! Where did everyone go??"

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww bless him - well I suppose it could be a couple of things, heres my thoughts.......
Maybe your female had picked up some other kitty smells from her visit to the vet for her op ? and he´d been reacting to that ?
Have you had Squeak fixed yet ? maybe he´s trying to call to females, they do get a bit frantic when they want to go out and play with the ladies
have you noticed him trying to get outside at all ?

other than that, maybe he´s just a very "chatty" kitty

Do keep us posted !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He hasn't been fixed yet hopefully he will be in the next couple weeks. And he doesn't try to get outside at all. I can open the door and tell him to leave (not that I want him to) and he just stands there and looks. both of them do it. they will not pass the metal peice at the bottom of the door. I think of it as they really love it here and aren't interested in leaving.
I never scared them away from the door. But my door also doesn't go outside. it goes down stairs and there are more doors down there. And the basement. I just don't know.....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's already feeling frisky and needs to be neutered fast! Be aware, though, that it takes a month or so after the surgery for all the hormones to settle out, so this behavior may not stop anytime soon.

It's a heartbreaking sound, isn't it? I feel for you...

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really didn't think he was old enough to get like this. I figure it is because she went into heat. He is about 2 months younger then her. maybe only a month but if you look at a pic I have of them he is small......

Shortly after I got Squeak.

Same night. Angel is in the front.

Right now he is laying next to me in my computer chair. (it's a huge arm chair) he is kicking me in the back and he head is by my ankles hang over the edge..... he grew FAST!

My avatar matches my kitties!!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I dont mean to butt in, but are those flea collars?
Flea collars are horrible.. They have been known to a) not work and /or b) cause terrible reactions to the cats. I would use Advantage or Frontline instead.

They are ADORABLE btw.. and I agree about getting the male cat neutered, he will probably calm down after that

boohearn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi javanna, my 5 month old kitten, Dinkers, just started yowling last night/ my gosh i thought she was dying, went rushing in the other room only to find her laying on the carpet purring. i went about my business, she did it again, and again I find her fine. checked her over pretty good, called my vet today and made an appointment, make sure she is ok. where do they learn this behavior? my other 3 cats (indoor outdoor) dont do this, and Dinkers is at this time indoor, if I take her outside, she cries like she doesnt want to be out there. she was a little stray, weighed in at 1 pound 4 oz when i found her.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sicycat;1543223 said:
Hi I dont mean to butt in, but are those flea collars?
Flea collars are horrible.. They have been known to a) not work and /or b) cause terrible reactions to the cats. I would use Advantage or Frontline instead.

/QUOTE]

So it wasn't just me that thought they were flea collars!

Please take the flea collars off the kitties if those are indeed flea collars. Flea collars have been known to cause illness and death in young kittens. It is much, much safer to get Advantage or Revolution from your vet for flea protection. If your kitties don't go outside you probably wouldn't need to worry much about fleas anyway.

We treat our two with Revolution but only because Bijou goes outside for short spurts and we don't want to take a chance he's bringing in fleas to Mika as well as into our house.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by boohearn

hi javanna, my 5 month old kitten, Dinkers, just started yowling last night/ my gosh i thought she was dying, went rushing in the other room only to find her laying on the carpet purring. i went about my business, she did it again, and again I find her fine. checked her over pretty good, called my vet today and made an appointment, make sure she is ok. where do they learn this behavior? my other 3 cats (indoor outdoor) dont do this, and Dinkers is at this time indoor, if I take her outside, she cries like she doesnt want to be out there. she was a little stray, weighed in at 1 pound 4 oz when i found her.
Some cats just do this. Both Zoey and Saki do it actually and yes it sounds like they are dying or hurt or something
but they just want my attention!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you've got a couple of things going on - a lot of cats don't seem to recognize the other cat after it gets home from the vet, so he's getting "used" to Angel all over again.

I've always been told to have a male neutered by 6 months - and I'll bet he's starting to mature sexually and might be calling. Hopefully he won't start spraying!!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are gorgeous but please PLEASE take the flea collars off of them! Those awful things have killed cats and can make them very ill. Just use flea treatment from the vet if there is a flea problem or as a preventative. Never use flea collars on the cat. Only good of flea collars is to cut them up and put them in your vacuum cleaner in case there are any fleas in your carpet, they will be killed when you vacuum.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok if you would have read THOSE PICTURES WERE A LONG TIME AGO. right after I got Squeak. and if you know me from posting on the site you know about the flea problems I've had...... enough said
or you can read my previous posts.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squeak goes in to get done on Tuesday. I will be so glad when it is all over....

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know JUST what you mean. It's SO nerve wracking.
But we're very proud of you!!!
You're a good kitty mommy.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Squeak got fixed yesterday. he is already playing with angel again so I think he is ok. I was kinda suprised to see that his large grapes turned into little raisins.
But otherwise all went well. When my ex got his fixed at the same vet I went to he had large open wounds but they healed with no marks so to see how mine looks I was surpirsed. Otherwise I got a great picture of him passed out on the floor when he got home. he looked like he was going to get up and gave up but I can't get it on my pc unless I go to my sisters. I don't have a card reader. ok long post................

Oh yeah by the way! I found out why he was crying at night. he only did it on the nights I forgot to give him wet food at night. (they get dry food all the time) so he was upset he didn't get the good stuff. and also Angel will be one year in march I can't believe it! I thought she was only 7-8 months!