need suggestions till Monday

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sick cat.

Not just any cat but my special cat that I have had longer than any other. Toe Man. He is around 7 1/2 yrs old. I got him when he was 5 weeks old.

He has always been extremely healthy and active. Yesterday I couldn't find him for an hr or so and I searched every nook and cranny of the house to no avail. So I went out back and went in the enclosure and found him way back under the bed area curled up in the hay. He was sleeping so I figured he was just enjoying himself and I petted him and left him alone and went to work later on that night [Friday night]not dreaming something was wrong. I saw him in the hay right before dark yesterday.

He was fine yesterday morning [Friday morning] and ate his food and drank water.

When I came home this morning [Saturday morning], he was in the same spot in the enclosure. I picked him up and brought him in the house and he has been inside every since.

But he is acting strange.

He won't eat tuna. He won't even smell the tuna. He stands over his water bowl and just looks at it. He has not vomited and as far as I can tell nor has he used the restroom either. I have been watching him and he has not went.

I can carry him around the house and he sit or plops where ever I put him and doesn't move.

He just sits there. And he holds his head real low.

I pinched his skin up and I believe he is dehydrated. I force fed him some Pedialyte with a syringe to get some liquids in him... The syringe I am using holds 1ml. I gave him 3/4 of it 4 times a few minutes ago.

How often should I give him liquids?

He does not have fever..

I have him wrapped in a towel on the couch right now. I don't know what to do for him except give him Pedialyte to keep him hydrated. He is not small so he won't starve [I hope] between now and Monday but he has to have water.

He is just weak for no apparant reason. He has never acted this way and I have never seen another cat act like this.

I think he is dying. I hope I can keep him alive till Monday. It is sleeting and snowing outside and there is no way I can get him to a vet today or tomorrow. Monday morning we are going early to find out what is wrong with my Toe Man...

Whatever has happened to him has occured in less than 24 hrs. I have never seen an animal go down so fast. If something happens to him, it will be so hard.

His gums do not appear pale to me but I'm not a doctor. His nose and eyes are clear. He just not move, does not drink, does not eat, holds his head down, and remains stationary where ever I sit him.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I have no advice but send lots of vibes to you ansdToe Man

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
vibes vibes vibes coming your way for you and your special cat!!!!!!!!!! Keep syringe feeding him. . . . . . .

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending prayers from Mississippi for Toe Man, I don't know what to tell you to do except keep doing what you are doing. I would try any other kind of food that he might like.

Have you looked at his body to see if he got bit by anything poisonous?

I would just keep trying anything, keep your eye on him, I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have searched his body and cannot find anything unusual on him at all. I checked him from one end to the other very very well. He has no bites, no scabs, no nics, no nothing. I do feel he looks a little bloated in the belly however... That is worrying me very very much.

I have about 24 hrs to go until we can get to a vet. OH........also, normally we feed dry food. I tried canned food and he was absolutely not interested in it. And so I went to tuna which is a favorite of his. And like I said, he would not even smell it. I put a small piece of it in his mouth and he promptly spit it out.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

I have searched his body and cannot find anything unusual on him at all. I checked him from one end to the other very very well. He has no bites, no scabs, no nics, no nothing. I do feel he looks a little bloated in the belly however... That is worrying me very very much.

I have about 24 hrs to go until we can get to a vet. OH........also, normally we feed dry food. I tried canned food and he was absolutely not interested in it. And so I went to tuna which is a favorite of his. And like I said, he would not even smell it. I put a small piece of it in his mouth and he promptly spit it out.
Maybe he has gas in his tummy or something, maybe take his back legs and doing like you do a child when they have gas. You take their legs and do them back and forth like you are riding a bicycle. Or maybe just keep rubbing on his tummy.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Maybe he ate something that didn't agree with him. Does he go outside any?

My dog Sambo acted like that once before, and I carried him to the vet and the vet couldn't find anything wrong. We had been to our camp the week before and the only thing we could figure was he got into some old garbage or something around the camp.

The vet just told me to bring him back home and try feeding him something he liked. So I went home and cooked him some fried fish. It was funny because my daughter came home and asked her daddy if we was eating fish for supper and he told her no, that Sambo was eating fish.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like "gastric torsion" where the stomach or intestines knot or twist. At least if he was a dog, that's what it would be.

I do hope that's not it.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fats McGee

It sounds like "gastric torsion" where the stomach or intestines knot or twist. At least if he was a dog, that's what it would be.

I do hope that's not it.
What can you do for that?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surgery i think. . . . . .

syringe syringe syringe and warmth and love

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call an emergency vet. Even if you can't get him in there because of the weather, they may be able to make suggestions over the phone. Has he urinated at all? I would be concerned about a urinary blockage.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call your vet. Most vets have an answering service or they check messages or something! This cat needs help.

Stephanie

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jenn

He sounds really sick plus he may be in pain.

Can you call a vet?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jenn I wish I knew what to tell you, but I don't.
The only thing I can think of is what someone else suggested and that would be to call your Vet and leave a message, even though you can get him in maybe they'd be able to give you some advice as to what to do until you can.

I'm sending vibes to you and to that sweet little man, he's so cute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will try to get vet advice in morning and will check this from work in just a bit...... thank you all.......Jenn

p.s. He is still the same. But I forgot to tell you , he walks with his hind legs stiff if he walks at all. Not sure if that is a symptom or if it is because he is laying down so much right now.....

gotta go........leter and thanks again... Jenn

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This sound very serious Jenn...
I would consider it an emergency.
Get help as soon as you can....
your kitty may be suffering.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope that you find out something soon Jenn. I am still sending prayers from Mississippi for Toe-Man.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick check to see how Toe Man is today and to send some more {{vibes}}

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This doesn't sound good at all. As well as water, have you tried getting some KMR/goat milk/chicken broth into him with the syringe? That would help keep his strength up if he is not eating at all, and will help prevent liver damage from not eating. I do hope he gets better soon.